1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2009 4:36 PM by 407048 RSS

Can DBA work at home?

user8117130
      In us, any DBA work at home? if DBA can use telnet or other programs, they can long in server in company and work at home, is that doable?
        • 1. Re: Can DBA work at home?
          SanjayRs
          Yes a DBA can work at home, do telnet etc.

But he/she may not because it depends upon the Employer.

SS
          • 2. Re: Can DBA work at home?
            Hi,
            In us, any DBA work at home?
            I do, as do hundreds of DBA's today, coast to coast, all across America . . .

I'm sitting on my leather couch right now, buck naked, watching TV, and slamming down Diet Cokes and eating chili dogs while I wait for a index rebuild to complete . . .

if DBA can use telnet or other programs, they can long in server in company and work at home, is that doable?
            You betcha.

With secure connections (vpn, ssh) you can work remotely anywhere in the world with safety!

Hope this helps . . .

Donald K. Burleson
            Oracle Press author
            Author of "Oracle Tuning: The Definitive Reference"
            http://www.rampant-books.com/book_2005_1_awr_proactive_tuning.htm
            • 3. Re: Can DBA work at home?
              Jonathan Lewis
              burleson wrote:
              Hi,
              In us, any DBA work at home?
              I do, as do hundreds of DBA's today, coast to coast, all across America . . .

I'm sitting on my leather couch right now, buck naked, watching TV, and slamming down Diet Cokes and eating chili dogs while I wait for a index rebuild to complete . . .

if DBA can use telnet or other programs, they can long in server in company and work at home, is that doable?
              You betcha.

With secure connections (vpn, ssh) you can work remotely anywhere in the world with safety!

Hope this helps . . .

Donald K. Burleson
              Oracle Press author
              Author of "Oracle Tuning: The Definitive Reference"
              http://www.rampant-books.com/book_2005_1_awr_proactive_tuning.htm
              Since you persistently claim that index rebuilds are 100% safe and zero cost, can we assume that you aren't charging your client for watching TV ?

Regards
              Jonathan Lewis
              http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com
              http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

To post code, statspack/AWR report, execution plans or trace files, start and end the section with the tag {noformat}
              {noformat} (lowercase, curly brackets, no spaces) so that the text appears in 
              fixed format

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence
              Carl Sagan                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
              • 4. Re: Can DBA work at home?
                ji li
                Wow... that sounded like an underhanded blow... ha, ha...

And, while sleeping, I'm running imports and rebuilding databases, but I can't charge time to it.
                Heck, I can't even work from home except for occasionally if my kid is sick or something.

But to answer the OP's question, of course you can work this type of job from home.

Problem is that most of the managers in Corporate America don't trust their staff enough to work from home (and charge time while watching TV and rebuilding indexes), and if they did trust them, then they usually don't want to let them anyway because they can't do it themselves.

But realistically, I have built complete RAC environments remotely (from work) to remote sites using Tight VNC, PuTTy, Ssh, Reflections, Exceed, etc. There are many tools of the trade to do the work remotely if you can get past management.
                • 5. Re: Can DBA work at home?
                  buck naked
                  *<shudders>*

Thanks for that image Burleson
                  • 6. Re: Can DBA work at home?
                    In us, any DBA work at home? if DBA can use telnet or other programs, they can long in server in company and work at home, is that doable?
                    Yes. it is doable. This is purely depend on the employer. I know few employers have a new program(RWP- Remote Worker Program) which allows DBA's to work from home all the time or sometime(One or day work from office). As long as you have internet connection with considerable speed and tools to do your job.

-Anantha
                    • 7. Re: Can DBA work at home?
                      In my experience, no, you can't.

If your job is anything, anything, above a glorified floor-mopper, then face-to-face is a daily part of the job. Also, being a DBA does not mean being a dweeb watching OEM for signs of increased blue and red (unless you are Sybrand Bakker)! Being on-site is paramount.

Regards - Don Lewis
                      • 8. Re: Can DBA work at home?
                        EdStevens
                        Don Lewis wrote:

If your job is anything, anything, above a glorified floor-mopper, then face-to-face is a daily part of the job. Also, being a DBA does not mean being a dweeb watching OEM for signs of increased blue and red (unless you are Sybrand Bakker)! Being on-site is paramount.

Regards - Don Lewis
                        Face time is good, but to assert that you can't do the job from home is bogus. Too many people have done it and are doing it. I once worked on an enitre 'from home' team - dba, systems admin, storage admin, programmers, project manager -- we were all over the U.S. Some of us had offices in an office building, some were at home. There was some travel occasionally, but very minimal, what with phone, email, and IM.
                        • 9. Re: Can DBA work at home?
                          dbtoo
                          Don, you dang ol' redneck DBA! Go easy on those Diet Cokes!

I've been working from home for my employer for over a year now, in fact, i'm sitting here in my pajamas. It took a long time to convince them it was good for them. But along with the 'must be nice' is the fact that you tend to be 'on call' all the time ('Call D, he's at home') and actually spend more hours working than you do when you drive into an office. It's not for everyone. Many people find themsleves naked on the couch watching TV far too often and end up getting fired for it. Other people are contractors.
                          There once was a consultant named Don,
                            Who's theories just never caught on...
                              His Technical tip - 
                                Some just couldn't grip...
                          And his Humor is constantly knocked on! 
                          dkb - Not THAT dkb.
                          • 10. Re: Can DBA work at home?
                            dbtoo
                            Don Lewis wrote:

Regards - Don Lewis
                            Wow. I work from home full time, mentor two 'junior' DBA's on two different coasts, write procedures and policies governing our organization, share in the care and feeding of over 200 oracle databases (not to mention all the sqlserver stuff) in 3 time zones with internal and external clients around the globe (whose face should I be in?) Collaboration tools are a requirement of the trade today. I don't mop floors (which by the way, pretty much requires you to be on-site.) If your organization is a 'line of sight' organization - if your manager has to see a body sitting in a chair to 'believe' that you are doing your job? that's sad! We used to be managed by people like that, fortunately they got old and retired.

However - there is much to be said about face to face over a beer (F2FOAB)! That cannot ever be overrated!

dkb - not THAT dkb
                            • 11. Re: Can DBA work at home?
                              ji li wrote:
                              Wow... that sounded like an underhanded blow... ha, ha...
                              Well, if you just rebuild indices naked ;) then yes, but it only sounds so.
                              And, while sleeping, I'm running imports and rebuilding databases, but I can't charge time to it.
                              This leads to a kind of insomnia sometimes unbearable.
                              Heck, I can't even work from home except for occasionally if my kid is sick or something.
                              This work at home with a database in one hand and with kids in the other can result in a disaster. Let it happen to the database then.
                              • 12. Re: Can DBA work at home?
                                "Problem is that most of the managers in Corporate America don't trust their staff enough to work from home (and charge time while watching TV and rebuilding indexes), and if they did trust them, then they usually don't want to let them anyway because they can't do it themselves."

Exactly! I have done a lot of remote DBA work for clients in the past- unfortunately, few managers allow DBAs to work off site. Case in point- my current client wants a DBA onsite to work with users, developers and functional people.
                                While the work can be performed offsite, only the chosen few such as very senior people are allowed to do this. I wish I could do remote DBA work for ALL clients since it would allow me to work from home.

However, corporate America management is still thinking in the stone age.

Cheers,
                                Ben
                                • 13. Re: Can DBA work at home?
                                  dkoleary
                                  Hey;

Face to face time is good; however, it's getting rarer and rarer. If your company is of any size it probably has people spread all over the country - if not all over the world. In that case, face to face is a complete impossibility.

This is probably the future particularly with the price of transportation increasing. Companies can keep their costs down by simply not providing an office that has to be heated, electrified, and networked.

Corporate management definitely has a trust issue with people working from home - with some justification. When you call someone that's "working from home" and hear mall music in the back ground, your trust level decreases precipitously.

I work from home regularly - even as a consultant; however, I've proven over time that when I'm working from home, I am home and working. I'm constantly available via IM, email, or phone. If I miss an IM, I explain why - bio-break, in a different meeting, etc.

From my perspective, working from home is an incredible benefit. At the moment, it's a luxury and a privilege, however, as companies realize the cost benefits, it may become more of the norm.

Doug O'Leary
                                  • 14. Re: Can DBA work at home?
                                    I find that i get more done at home. Because im more comfortable in my favorite chair, my favorite cloths, and easy access to my home made coffee that is delicious. While at work, i need to dress up with a suite and walk for about 5 min to get coffee, not as good tasting as my own at home.

But, it depends on what current work im doing, i believe that for most DBA - working home is good. But here people need to talk and discuss with so mutch people, all the time.

This is general talk from my side, i am doing my intern as junior (as you would say in America probably, here in sweden titles is not as important) oracle dba. I need to be at work to learn as mutch as possible. :)

Burleson; i hope that you are not taking your 600 dollar/h fee while being naked eating chili hot dogs. :)
                                    1 2 Previous Next