1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2009 4:36 PM by 407048 Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Can DBA work at home?
        Hi

Interesting stuff. Perhaps my POV is coloured by my limited experience - old dog and new tricks, I suppose!

Regards - Don Lewis
        • 16. Re: Can DBA work at home?
          jgarry
          benprusinski wrote:
          "Problem is that most of the managers in Corporate America don't trust their staff enough to work from home (and charge time while watching TV and rebuilding indexes), and if they did trust them, then they usually don't want to let them anyway because they can't do it themselves."

Exactly! I have done a lot of remote DBA work for clients in the past- unfortunately, few managers allow DBAs to work off site. Case in point- my current client wants a DBA onsite to work with users, developers and functional people.
          While the work can be performed offsite, only the chosen few such as very senior people are allowed to do this. I wish I could do remote DBA work for ALL clients since it would allow me to work from home.

However, corporate America management is still thinking in the stone age.

Cheers,
          Ben
          I concur. I first started working remotely in a development job in the mid-80's, and eventually decided I'd rather come into work because it was too isolating (no Starbucks wifi then!)

Over the years, I've found the usual case is you need to work for some amount of time to get them to trust you to work from home. Some places are indeed stuck in the stoneage, with it being a mark of managerial power to make people come in whether they need to or not. Other places have a communications issue - people only communicate verbally (sometimes because they are overwhelmed with "important" emails/voicemail from others), so that important bit of infrastructure is missing, you get cut out of the loop if you aren't there.

There may also be liability concerns, some companies are worried you might sit in your chair wrong and they will have to pay increased workers comp fees for your chiropractic or whatever.

Nowadays, I find I'm much more productive at home if I can do it every day. Just doing it occasionally makes for too much distractions - wife needs help taking the kids to school, after lunch walk beckons, etc. It takes time (for me at least) to settle into a productive routine.

I have seen some places too willing to let people come in remotely - they think some vendors third-world db-blind folk are just as good as a local Oracle dba just because their product runs on Oracle. Yikes! Then I'm the bad guy, pointing out and cleaning up the mess.

I've actually seen people on the train working with their laptop/aircard... I would consider it, if it wouldn't just be added on top of regular work. But that's my decompression time.
          • 17. Re: Can DBA work at home?
            Yes a DBA can work for home. It will depend on the employer.

You also need to be prepared to deal with other people you work with remotely, so that may mean a lot of time on the phone or in conference calls.

Communication is the key to successful home working.
            • 18. Re: Can DBA work at home?
              christm31
              I've been trying to persuade my employer that it would be more productive for me to work from home for over a year! They're not buying it though. Any advice or tips on how to make them realise the benefits???

Many thanks

Martin
              • 19. Re: Can DBA work at home?
                Absolutely...A DBA can work from home. Or rather say it this way - a DBA who does his work sitting in an office cubicle should be ready for work from home if required. And vice versa.
                This has been a very interesting discussion thread with lots of good information about working from home vs. the alternative. Kind of makes you really try working from home almost full time(which is kinda new to me)What cracks me up in this thread is the posting by Mr. Burleson. I respect him(I must say I love reading his rampant tech books). That is one thing though. Eating chili dogs and slamming a dozen diet cokes is another. What I find interesting is not in the chili dogs or diet cokes - instead in the fact that he had to do so while rebuilding the damn indexes(a controversial topic by itself as observed in the past)
                :-)
                1 2 Previous Next