6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2009 9:39 AM by 686548

install Oracle 10g with Toad 9.1

Hi All,

I am a novice in database(SQL,PLSQL) programming and hence want to learn and practise very deeply in detail for which i want to install Oracle 10g client with Toad 9.1.So need your advise on the process.

(a)Do i need to download entire Oracle Enterprise Edition Installation for Vista? I have read in one of the forums that downloading only the Oracle Client is enough?

Can you please advise me?

(b)I already have the TOAD 9.1 setup with me which i can install.But,i do not know that how will i use TOAD interface and connect to the oracle database.

(c)Also,any sample script/database with some tables that i can use for learning complex SQL query writing would be very helpful.In brief-any project that i can work on in building all the requirements by writing SQL which simulates real time scenarios of SQL development.

Please help me ,i am struggling.

Thanks
      Dev
        • 1. Re: install Oracle 10g with Toad 9.1
          for (a): Only require Oracle client.
          for (b): After install the Oracle client, you should setup a tns using net configuration assistant. Then use it to connect the oracle database.
          for (c): I have no idea, sorry.
          • 2. Re: install Oracle 10g with Toad 9.1
            hello,
            a)Do i need to download entire Oracle Enterprise
             Edition Installation for Vista? I have read in one of the forums that 
            downloading only the Oracle Client is enough?
            oracle client is software which connect to database and if u do not have database where are you connecting your client then?? so you need to download database either enterprise or standard edition for your OS

now TOAD is software again to connect to database to maintain and monitor your database it is third party tool and you can install database even if do not have TOAD, while installing TOAD u need to specify where you want to connect.....so database and TOAD are different things...

Also,any sample script/database with some tables that i can 
            use for learning complex SQL query writing would be very helpful.
            In brief-any project that i can work on in building all the requirements 
            by writing SQL which simulates real time scenarios of SQL development.
            after installing database ( i would rather sugest to use ORACLe XE which free, means require no license) it will include some sample schemas, even you install enterprise edition select option to install sample schema while instaling it

thanks and regards
            VD

Edited by: vikrant dixit on Jun 26, 2009 1:22 AM
            • 3. Re: install Oracle 10g with Toad 9.1
              a. You can try any other edition (express, standard etc). The client is enough only to connect to an existing database. If no DB is available, you need the server.
              b. Use Network Config Assistant to connect to the DB and enter user, password and service alias in TOAD's login window.
              c. Create the SCOTT schema for starters (<oracle_home>\rdbms\admin\scott).
              • 4. Re: install Oracle 10g with Toad 9.1
                NavneetU
                1.+a)Do i need to download entire Oracle Enterprise Edition Installation for Vista? I have read in one of the forums that downloading only the Oracle Client is enough?+

Oracle client is required when you are already having oracle database server running on a machine and you want to connect to that oracle server from another machine. In that you will need atleast oracle client.

2. I already have the TOAD 9.1 setup with me which i can install.But,i do not know that how will i use TOAD interface and connect to the oracle database.

When you will be done by the oracle installation (Oracle server not client) and suppose you are having a test database, then you will using toad to connect to the database server by using the Service Name (from the tnsnames.ora) of the database to which you need to connect.

3. Also,any sample script/database with some tables that i can use for learning complex SQL query writing would be very helpful.In brief-any project that i can work on in building all the requirements by writing SQL which simulates real time scenarios of SQL development.

Default installation of oracle server comes up with a sample database with name you must provide while installing oracle. You can use that database to learn, test r & d or anything else....

Regards
                • 5. Re: install Oracle 10g with Toad 9.1
                  alanm
                  hi,
                  I would suggest using Oracle SQL Developer instead of toad.

regards

Alan
                  • 6. Re: install Oracle 10g with Toad 9.1
                    Hi all,

Thanks a lot for all your inputs.Its very useful and presently I am following the steps suggested.

I had another doubt with respect to this.While attending a oracle course,the instructor had told about an installation option of installing oracle 10g on Linux using VMware/virtual -i am sorry i am not sure about it.

So,can you please give your inputs about this process as I dont know about how to setup?

(a)What are the tools that i will need to build a virtual machine in my present computer with Linux as the OS?
                    And,what are the steps we need to do ?

(b)How do i use a vitual machine if i install it? I mean how will it work?

(c)Then,at last how do i install Oracle with Linux on that?

Please help me with some more inputs

--Dev