1 2 3 Previous Next 119 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2011 7:29 PM by 793366 RSS

Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine

Andreas Leidner
      Hello,

for the curious ones here's the installation steps I did for installing Forms 11g on a developer machine (i.e. only the necessary components for using Forms Builder and Reports Builder) after looking through most parts of the documentation. My system runs WinXP Pro SP3 (32-bit) with 4 GB RAM.
      If anyone else already did this: Is it really necessary to start the WLS_FORMS server (as a replacement for that small OC4J in Developer Suite 10g) to be able to do a one-button-run from Forms Builder? Only starting WLS_FORMS will create a java.exe process which is a real resource hog - it's using about 700 MB RAM! I do have a fast machine with plenty of RAM but there are also a few other applications running at the same time which need some of that (like Eclipse, Office, a few Forms 10g runtimes for testing etc.)

Remember: The goal in this case is to install as a "Developer Suite" replacement, not a full-blown application server (that's the next step on my list).

1. Download and install „WebLogic Server“
      Filename: oepe11_wls1031.exe (this is the one including Oracle Enterprise Pack for Eclipse - you may also use the one without OEPE)

During install choose the following options:
      Middleware Home Directory - this will be the parent directory of all components to be installed, e.g. D:\oracle\fmw11g
      Install Type: Typical
      WebLogic Server Directory - take the default under the chosen middleware home, e.g. D:\oracle\fmw11g\wlserver_10.3
      Oracle Enterprise Pack for Eclipse Directory - take the default under the chosen middleware home, e.g. D:\oracle\fmw11g\oepe_11.1.1.1.0

Necessary disk space: approx. 1 GB

2. Download and install „Portal, Forms, Reports and Discoverer“
      Files:
      ofm_pfrd_win_11.1.1.1.0_32_disk1_1of2.zip
      ofm_pfrd_win_11.1.1.1.0_32_disk1_2of2.zip

Choose the following options during the setup process:

Installation Type: Install and configure
      Choose "Create Domain" and use the defaults (and a password of your choice, of course)
      Username: weblogic
      Domain name: ClassicDomain
      Middleware Home Directory - use the same directory you chose as middleware home during the WebLogic Server Setup, e.g. D:\oracle\fmw11g
      Oracle-Standard directory - this is the oracle home you would have chosen during a DevSuite/OAS 10gR2 setup, e.g. dev11g
      Weblogic Server directory - use the one you chose during the WebLogic Server Setup, e.g. D:\oracle\fmw11g\wlserver_10.3
      Oracle Instance directory - this will contain the configuration files separated out of the oracle home, e.g. D:\oracle\fmw11g\dev11ginst_1
      Oracle Instance name - name the instance, e.g. dev11ginst_1
      On the "Configure Components" screen choose the following (minimal install):
      Server components: Oracle Forms, Oracle Reports (these are dependencies of the Builder/Tools)
      Developer Tools: Oracle Forms Builder, Oracle Reports Builder
      Clustered: No
      Automatic Port configuration

Necessary disk space: approx. 3 GB (note the first bug: necessary and available disk space labels were switched in my setup :)

3. Results of the setup (you're already finished at this point):

Domain standard directory is <middleware home>\user_projects\domains\ClassicDomain
      Domain-Port: 7001
      Homepage: http://localhost:7001/
      WebLogic Server Administrator Console: http://localhost:7001/console
      Enterprise Manager Console: http://localhost:7001/em (not installed as I didn't choose this during setup)
      EM Agent URL: http://localhost:5155/emd/main
      Forms-URL: http://localhost:9001/forms/frmservlet
      Reports-URL: http://localhost:9002/reports/rwservlet

Note that all processes/servers are started after the installation and consume around 1.5 GB RAM! You should restart at this point.
      After a clean restart you see the following on your system:
      An "Oracle Processing Monitor and Notification" (opmn) Windows service (as in 10gR2). This is set to start automatically and starts the following processes you see in the taskmanager:
      opmn.exe, javaw.exe (EMAgent), Reports Server (rwserver.exe) and a reports engine (javaw.exe). These use about 100 MB RAM overall which seems reasonable.

You can start/stop the WebLogic Admin Server by running the following command though this seems not necessary to be able to run Forms from the Builder (thank god, the admin server uses about 700 MB RAM in a single java.exe process):
      d:\oracle\fmw11g\user_projects\domains\ClassicDomain\bin\startWebLogic.cmd
      d:\oracle\fmw11g\user_projects\domains\ClassicDomain\bin\stopWebLogic.cmd

So what do you need to start to be able to run Forms modules via one-button-run from Forms builder? It seems you have to start the WLS_FORMS managed WebLogic server (replacing oc4j) or WLS_REPORTS, respectively. Those managed servers are installed into the ClassicDomain and can be started via the following commands (note that you don't need to have the Admin Server running inspite of specify its url on the command line):
      d:\oracle\fmw11g\user_projects\domains\ClassicDomain\bin\startManagedWebLogic.cmd WLS_FORMS http://localhost:7001
      d:\oracle\fmw11g\user_projects\domains\ClassicDomain\bin\startManagedWebLogic.cmd WLS_REPORTS http://localhost:7001

If you want to stop the servers just hit CTRL+C to initiate a shutdown in the command line window. To stop them via the stopManagedWebLogic.cmd script you would've to start the admin server first.

To summarize what do you need to run for Forms development: Forms Builder (of course), WLS_FORMS (using about 650 MB RAM!) and (may be) opmn.exe (using 100 MB RAM).

If anyone finds out how to minimize the memory usage of WLS_FORMS I'd be delighted to know :)

Andreas
        • 1. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
          Hi Andreas,

Whatever you have done is correct.
          But there is a limitation in XP. You wont be able to run FR integration in XP.
          Please try running a report from form and then see. This is not supported in XP platform.
          Ideally for development and runtime purpose Windows 2003 is suggested.

And you need to start WLS_FORMS server before you could run forms through builder or on web.

You can simply go to the following URL after installation and do the start stop rather than running the command.

http://localhost:7001/console

This will ask you for the username and password which you gave while creation of domain.
          Once you are in then navigate to Environment-->Servers page.

Once the page appears on the right side of the pane, then you need to go to CONTROl tab and select the server which you want to start/stop.

Regards
          Dhiraj Madan
          • 2. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
            Andreas Leidner
            Hello Dhiraj,

thanks for the info. I know about the admin console but I'd like to use the scripts/commands so we can integrate this in our development environment and make it mostly transparent to all our Forms and Reports developers. Apart from that the admin server consumes 700 MB extra memory so we don't want to run that one only if it's really needed for a particular task.

Regarding your comment on Windows Server 2003 vs. XP: I don't think it's an option to use Server 2003 on each developer's workstation (apart from the pricing/licensing issues). Could you elaborate on why FR integration isn't possible under XP but only on Server 2003?

Best regards
            Andreas
            • 3. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
              Andreas,

Some of the system components (likie OHS which are required for FR) are not supported in XP. Thus it wont work.
              Though this is only runtime thing.
              XP is supported as a Development platform with specific things.

Thanks,
              Dhiraj Madan
              • 4. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                Hi,

As you can see, WLS_FORMS and WLS_REPORTS use two different ports. 9001,9002.

So when you make a call to Reports using RUN_REPORT_OBJECT, it fails.

Technicall you still be able to run reports with WEB.SHOW_DOCUMENT. Since its a call to rwservlet, so once the browser is spawned you can change the port to that of WLS_REPORTS.Or you might as well create a URL which also takes WLS_REPORTS port.

In XP , ohs is not installed which is opmn component, which will be available for other supported OS versions.

So when you run with an ohs port, as reports alos gets redirected/uses ohs ports , call to Reports will succeed.

-Nisar
                • 5. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                  Andreas Weiden
                  Hi Andreas,

the following setting in Control Panel->System->Environment-Vars reduces the memory footprint to approx. 430MB

Property: EXTRA_JAVA_PROPERTIES
                  Value: -Xms256m -Xmx378m

(Tip comes from the JDeveloper-forum)
                  • 6. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                    Hi Andreas,

Do we need to install web logic server before we install forms and report.While installing forms and reports it asks for oracle middle ware home location e.t.c does this not create a web logic server. If we need to install web logic server should it be installed in all the developers machine or we can install in one machine and point the oracle middle ware home location to that machine.

Regards
                    • 7. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                      Andreas Leidner
                      See my description above - yes, you do need to install weblogic prior to installing forms/reports.
                      The standard way (i.e. as in 10g) would be to install WLS and Forms/reports services on each developer's machine to give each developer his/her personal development environment for running forms from the builder. However, you may, of course, use a more centralized approach and setup a process where the developer uses the builder only and runs on an application server. There are various strategies how to do that.
                      With our setup in 10gR2 every developer's used his own builder+oc4j during development with the fmbs residing on a network share accessible to all developers. There's also a central formsweb.cfg on a network share and every oc4j config points to that so we can manage this more easily. When the developer's done with a change to a forms module she uses a tool to copy the fmb/fmx to another network share on the application server so the QA people can test using OAS.
                      • 8. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                        Hi

I was of the opinion that along with downloaded file for Portal, Forms, Reports and Discoverer,Weblogic server will also be packaged which is very similar to JDeveloper 11g
                        [http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/middleware/htdocs/111110_fmw.html]

If that is not the case then is this the correct executable file for Weblogic server to be installed on a standalone machine?
                        [http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/ias/htdocs/wls_main.html]
                        and choose Oracle WebLogic Server 11gR1 (10.3.1) + OEPE - Net Installer ?

If otherwise please provide which weblogic server is required for Forms and Reports.

Besides, it is mentioned in the earlier threads of this post that there are some issues on Windows XP and probably in Vista( I am assuming)
                        If that is the case while doing the installation if I choose compatibility mode and choose Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 2000, will it still resolve the issues of compatibility?

Or could someone suggest any work around if available?

Appreciate any comments

Regards
                        Jacob

Edited by: Jacob Elias on Jul 12, 2009 12:12 PM

Edited by: Jacob Elias on Jul 12, 2009 12:27 PM
                        • 9. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                          Andreas Leidner
                          Hello Jacob,

you can use any of the Weblogic 10.3.1 packages available for download.
                          However, I wouldn't use the compatibility mode setting on a product released for XP/Vista and it most certainly won't change the behaviour regarding FR integration on XP (I think this is what you're referring to?).

Best regards
                          Andreas
                          • 10. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                            Thanks Andreas for the reply.
                            Andreas Leidner wrote:
                            However, I wouldn't use the compatibility mode setting on a product released for XP/Vista and it most certainly won't change the behaviour regarding FR integration on XP (I think this is what you're referring to?).

The reason why I was refering to change the compatibility mode is while doing installation for Developer Suite 10g, there was some issues on Windows Vista and when I change the compatibility mode and installed, it had worked then.

And I guess FR integration is the only issue on XP and Vista(if at all exists)

Thanks again for the reply.

Regards
                            Jacob
                            • 11. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                              Hi jacob,

I have replied to your similar question in another thread. Anyhow i am copying the reply here too.

I dont think choosing compatibility mode will work.
                              This is because XP/Vista are supported as development platforms. See my comments below. (which i have combined from other threads)

Some of the system components (like OHS which are required for FR) are not supported in XP/Vista. Thus FR integration wont work. Though this is only runtime issue.

As you can see, WLS_FORMS and WLS_REPORTS use two different ports. 9001,9002.
                              So when you make a call to Reports using RUN_REPORT_OBJECT, it fails.

Technically you would still be able to run reports with WEB.SHOW_DOCUMENT. Since its a call to rwservlet, so once the browser is spawned you can change the port to that of WLS_REPORTS.Or you might as well create a URL which also takes WLS_REPORTS port.

In XP/Vista , ohs is not installed which is opmn component, which is available for other supported OS versions (windows 2003).

Regards
                              Dhiraj Madan
                              • 12. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                                Hi ,all :

I had try to install form/report server and form/report builder on seprate machine ....
                                but i can not seprate server/builder ,
                                our developer machine's resource is not enough to run form / report even just weblogic server....
                                11g version service is huge resource required ....
                                we just only need install form/report builder to develope form/report , then deploy to dev server to test ,
                                can we do it with form/report 11g ?

best regards ...Nolem
                                • 13. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                                  Thanks again Dhiraj.

I am installing on windows Vista, while doing the installation I am facing a problem as when I browse and select the location of Disk4, I get Installation Failed error.
                                  I download both zip files, first zip file contains 4 folders viz Disk1, Disk2, Disk3 and Disk4 and another zip contains one folder which is Disk4.
                                  When I point to Disk4(of the second zip), I get Installation Failed message.

When I looked the log I am getting this error
                                  java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Downloads\Disk4\stage\Components\oracle.classicwls.top\11.1.1.1.0\1\DataFiles\filegroup2.jar (The system cannot find the path specified)

[2009-07-13T19:49:57.912+03:00] [OUI] [NOTIFICATION] [] [OUI] [tid: 19] [ecid: 0000I9oyCoB5yW^5xV_AiW1AMq5s00000A,0] OUI-10185:Unable to copy 'C:\Downloads\ofm_pfrd_win_11.1.1.1.0_32_disk1_2of2\Disk4\stage\/Components/oracle.jrf.as.config/11.1.1.1.0/1/DataFiles/Expanded/./install/config/ASConfig.jar' to 'd:\Oracle\Middleware\as_1/install/config/ASConfig.jar'. OUI-10186:The source file 'C:\Downloads\ofm_pfrd_win_11.1.1.1.0_32_disk1_2of2\Disk4\stage\/Components/oracle.jrf.as.config/11.1.1.1.0/1/DataFiles/Expanded/./install/config/ASConfig.jar' does not exist.

How can I resolve this, am I missing something very obvious?

Regards
                                  Jacob

Edited by: Jacob Elias on Jul 13, 2009 8:01 PM

Added log message

Edited by: Jacob Elias on Jul 13, 2009 8:27 PM
                                  • 14. Re: Forms 11g - Installation steps for a developer machine
                                    I see nothing obvious. I suggest you call Oracle Customer Support.
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next