5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2009 11:05 AM by Paul M. RSS

Kindly help with oracle database 10g express edition upgraded to APEX 3.2

Dear All,

I just started learning oracle and for the purpose I installed Oracle Databse 10g Express Edition (XE) Release 2 on my local PC and than I upgraded the Oracle Application Express to 3.2.

The book I am using is "Beginning Oracle Application Express - 2008"
      In the book the author uses

UTILITES > DATA LOAD/UNLOAD > LOAD > Load Spreedsheet Data

Load to : New Table
      Load From : Upload file
      Borwse for File "Order" Microsoft Office Excel Comma Seperated Values File
      Table Name : ORDERS
      Primary Key Column : Create New Column as ORDERS_PK

If this is done with APEX 2.1 it works but with my uprade to 3.2 I get the following error.

"ORA-20001: create_table error: ORA-20001: Excel load run ddl error: ORA-01003: no statement parsed"

I searched every where for this error but to no avail.

Any help will be much appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Kindly help with oracle database 10g express edition upgraded to APEX 3.2
          Paul M.
          "ORA-20001: create_table error: ORA-20001: Excel load run ddl error: ORA-01003: no statement parsed"
          Try granting explicit "create table" privilege to your user. As dba or sysdba :
          SQL> grant create table to <your user>;
          • 2. Re: Kindly help with oracle database 10g express edition upgraded to APEX 3.2
            Dear Paul M.

Thank you very much for answering. I posted the same question on the application express forum. Also posted on the Books forum as well as looked for the error code up in google. Nada.

Please note that I am migrating from MS Access and am knew to oracle. Can you please detail the instructions. I know it's a lot to ask but i am stuck in the beggining of the book for 3 days now.

Thansk in advance.
            • 3. Re: Kindly help with oracle database 10g express edition upgraded to APEX 3.2
              Paul M.
              Can you please detail the instructions.
              Well, I hoped it was detailed enough... anyway, from Oracle menu go to SQL command line, connect as sysdba
              SQL> conn / as sysdba
              and execute the above command. After that, retry your Apex loading.
              • 4. Re: Kindly help with oracle database 10g express edition upgraded to APEX 3.2
                Hi Paul,

This is realy getting frustating. I get the same error. I just want to learn and go through the book. Following are the steps that i followed.

1 - Installed Oracle Database Express Edition (XE) Release on my local PC with Windows XP Professional SP 3 supplying the password for SYS and SYSTEM as per the video at
                http://www.mandsconsulting.com/oracle-xe-install-tutorial

2 - Upgraded the Oracle Application Express to 3.2 as per the video at
                http://www.mandsconsulting.com/install-oracle-apex-32-on-xe-and-xp-pro-video-walkthrough-tutorial

2 - Now I log in as
                WORKSPACE : SYSTEM
                USER NAME : SYSTEM
                PASSWORD : ********

3 - Go to Utilities > Data Load/Unload > Load > Loadspreadsheet Data >
                Change the Load from to upload file (comma seperated or tab delimited) NEXT
                Browse for the file which is 'ORDERS', NEXT
                Change the table name to 'ORDERS'
                Change the primirary key column to ORDERS_ID - LOAD DATA

And than i get

As i said I am totally new to this and migrating from MS Access. However I am quite familiar with all the RDBMS concepts (Theory and academic).

I tried as per your instructions

SQL> conn / as sysdba
                grant create table to SYSTEM;

Maybe some thing to do with the workspace SYSTEM, the Schema SYSTEM and user name SYSTEM.

I am not much familiar with the Oracle Architect. The book named 'Begning Oracle Application Express' uses a hosted account and therefore the approach will be slightly different. But how different, I do not know. Just a simple start to go along the book.

If there is any thing that can be done about it, please state so.
                • 5. Re: Kindly help with oracle database 10g express edition upgraded to APEX 3.2
                  Paul M.
                  Maybe some thing to do with the workspace SYSTEM, the Schema SYSTEM and user name SYSTEM.
                  I don't know, but surely it's not a good idea using SYSTEM user for application things, system is a dba, and should only be used for that purpose.

You should create a new user (if you don't already have one) and use that one for your applications. An example follows (using SQL command line as sysdba) :
                  SQL> create user new_user identified by new_user
                    2  default tablespace users
                    3  quota unlimited on users;

User created.

SQL> grant create session,create table to new_user;

Grant succeeded.

SQL> 
                  change names as per your needs.

Create a new workspace, assign it to this user, and retry your loading.

If this works, you may need to grant other privileges to the user.

P.S. The above worked perfectly to me.