6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 8:48 AM by Grant Ronald-Oracle

Forms 11 integration with ADF 11g Example

_Martin_
      Hi,

i found the nice screencast Screencast, it shows the interaction Forms 11 and ADF 11...

Now my question:
      Is there some more information / tutorials for building Forms 11-Applications which interacts with ADF-11?

kind regards
      Martin
        • 1. Re: Forms 11 integration with ADF 11g Example
          Grant Ronald-Oracle
          Not yet - but more coming. The main point we wanted to show was the general use of the feature - people can then judge how they apply that to their own case. Specifically, what are you looking to do?
          • 2. Re: Forms 11 integration with ADF 11g Example
            _Martin_
            Hi,

we have a big Oracle-Forms-Application and now we want use Oracle-ADF-11g (for example the data visualisation components), because the new WLS 11g (10.3.1) support forms and adf. The plan is to migrate the forms-application to adf, but this takes a lot of time. (We are still in the early stage)

I need a little testcase for interaction between this both technologies. For Example:
            A Small Forms-Page with some input-components for a diagramm, the user choice the x-values (0 till 100) and some y-values (10 values) .... now i want to call a ADF11g page (jspx-page), this page should render a linegraph (with <dvt:lineGraph> component).

How I get the values of Forms to ADF?
            My consideration is to store the values in a table... but then i have a new question, How I call the ADF-page from Forms and the other way round?

kind regards
            Martin
            • 4. Re: Forms 11 integration with ADF 11g Example
              Grant Ronald-Oracle
              Hi Martin, I probably need to set the expectations in that we will look to put together some samples/demos/howtos on integrating Forms and ADT graphs but thats something for the next 6 months (and you probably need something yesterday).

In terms of calling ADF from Forms and visa versa, since both are launched from URLs so you can simply call something like web.show_document('ADF URL'). However, I think we really need to look deeper since there are different ways of integrating Forms and Java applications. Maybe what you really want to do is something like
              http://groundside.com/blog/GrantRonald.php?title=oracle_forms_and_google_charts&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

I'm also interested in the business motivation - why do you want to migrate Forms to ADF - if its simply so you can leverage features like charting - maybe the above example could help.

Regards
              Grant
              1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Forms 11 integration with ADF 11g Example
                _Martin_
                Hi Grand,

the business motivation is:
                "To build a application with a very nice Web-Frontend (ADF Faces), with good tool-support (JDeveloper 11g) and this in relatively shorter time (JDeveloper 11g + ADF Faces + ADF BC)"

Now we build the application in forms and at the same time in adf (the best solution wins ;) )

Now I'm searching for sample code for "New JavaScript Integration in Forms":
                Forms 11 call an event "refreshEvent" and in ADF 11 some data are refreshed, and visa versa.
                If the screencast stands already online (New Screencast about External Events), the sample-sourcen cannot far be also ;)

kind regards
                Martin
                • 6. Re: Forms 11 integration with ADF 11g Example
                  Grant Ronald-Oracle
                  Martin, its great to see you getting the best of both worlds, although I could point out that the Forms UI can be made to look very nice with simply the use of some PJCs and Java beans
                  http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/forms/pdf/capula.pdf is a nice example of this. And of course you still have great tools support with Forms ;o)

Of course, you are correct, since we have the demo built we are putting the final touched to a "how to " on using the Javascript integration in Forms 11g. This should be out in the next week. The "how to" on external events will follow that.

This is still covered in the documentation if you want to check it out now but "how tos" supporting the two viewlets will be on OTN very soon.

Thanks
                  Grant