3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2009 7:25 PM by Sandeep Gandhi, Consultant

How could me make Item Categories Organization- and Module-specific?

user969063
      Could we make Item Categories Organization and Module specific? Right now, the same 'Item Categories' flex structure is used by Order Management (already implemented) and now Purchasing / iProcurement (being implemented). To make categories organization- and module-specific, do we need to attach a value set based on a custom SQL?

In the OM implementation, we’d used flex structure 'Item Categories' for Finished Goods items. So, a Finished Good CEMBAG has category CEMENT.BAG attached to it. Bulk Cement has CEMENT.BULK linked to it. In this phase, we are creating spares using the same category structure (wondering, if we should change this). But now, when we go to set up an item, we see all the categories, for Finished Goods and Spares across all companies. So, we see BEARING.BALL.., ELECTRICAL.AMMETER.. alongwith OM categories. We can’t change the default Category Set for Order Management or Inventory (already implemented) but seems like we’d have to change the default Category Set for Purchasing to separate the Categories out. Also need to separate lookups like Reason Codes. Reason Codes say for a Miscellaneous Receipt gives all reason codes, those created for Order Management and those for Purchasing.
        • 1. Re: How could me make Item Categories Organization- and Module-specific?
          Sandeep Gandhi, Consultant
          For the most part, category functionality does allow org-specific categories and module specific categories.
          1. If you define the category set with control level at "Org Level", then for a given item, you can assign different categories for that category set in diff. orgs.
          2. You can do (kinda) module specific categories as follows
          a. Define different cateogry flex structures - say, one is called SALES and has 1 segment and the other one is called INVENTORY and has 2 segments
          b. Define 2 different value sets for these structures and create valid combinations for these 2 value sets - e.g. SALES has MISC, BRONZE, SILVER and GOLD.
          And INVENTORY has MISC.MISC, METAL.BRACKET, METAL.CABINET etc.
          3. Use existing Category sets or define new category sets . Enter default category for these category sets if needed.
          4. Define Default Category sets for different functional areas
          5. Now, when you define items, you can have a different category for INVENTORY and a different category for the SALES.
          6. As an added benefit, if an item is not an Salable item (e.g. a phantom item or a bulk item), Oracle will not assign the SALES category to it. Similarly, only INVENTORY items will get the INVENTORY category during creation.

Hope this answers your question.

Sandeep Gandhi
          Independent Consultant
          513-325-9026
          • 2. Re: How could me make Item Categories Organization- and Module-specific?
            user969063
            Sandeep

When we try changing the default Category Set for Purchasing we get this message:

'Purchasing default category set cannot be modified as records exist in purchasing tables that refer to the old category set and the flex structures do not match for the old
            and new category set.'

I am wondering that this is because we have transactions that refer to the old Category Set.

Regards,

Sanjib
            • 3. Re: How could me make Item Categories Organization- and Module-specific?
              Sandeep Gandhi, Consultant
              You need to make sure that the categories assigned to the old category set are also present in the new category set.