7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2009 9:54 AM by Aman....

Archive log mode Turn off

Azar
      Hi all DBA guys, Have a Nice day all

If i change archive log mode to no archive log mode, internally whats happen my database?.

Is this old archive log backup use for future if again convert no archive to archive log mode?

What's happen flashback if i change archive log mode to no archive log mode?

Regards

S.Azar
        • 1. Re: Archive log mode Turn off
          Anurag Tibrewal
          Hi,

If i change archive log mode to no archive log mode, internally whats happen my database?.

Ans: Oracle would not make a hard copy of your redo log file (archive it) if it is changed to no archive log mode. You would not be able to do hot backup..

Is this old archive log backup use for future if again convert no archive to archive log mode?

Ans: No.

Ans: No difference. Flashback should not depends on archiving.

Regards
          Anurag
          • 2. Re: Archive log mode Turn off
            Azar
            Hi Mr,

Ans: No difference. Flashback should not depends on archiving.

I confused , Flashback should not depends on archiving.

My question is, if we are going to configure flashback , Should flashback configure if archive log mode enabled?

Regards

S.Azar

Edited by: azarmohds on Jul 19, 2009 1:10 AM
            • 3. Re: Archive log mode Turn off
              Anurag Tibrewal
              Hi,

Not necessary flashback can be enabled in no archive log mode too.

Cheers
              Anurag
              • 4. Re: Archive log mode Turn off
                Azar
                Hi Mr,

But Mr.Taj posted his blogspot archivelog mode must enabled before configure flashback database

http://dbataj.blogspot.com/2008/07/flashback-database.html

please check above link

Regards

S.Azar
                • 5. Re: Archive log mode Turn off
                  Anurag Tibrewal
                  Hi,

That is to use the 10g features of Flashback.

And if you already knew the answer then why to ask.

Cheers
                  Anurag.

PS:

Be polite when you are communicating with others specially strangers. "Hi Mr," does not sounds good does it.
                  • 6. Re: Archive log mode Turn off
                    Azar
                    Thanx lot,

why i asked this question means, rightnow you posted, this is feature of 10g i.e flashback database confiured when archive log mode is enabled...,so in this case

Regards

S.Azar
                    • 7. Re: Archive log mode Turn off
                      Aman....
                      azarmohds wrote:
                      Thanx lot,

why i asked this question means, rightnow you posted, this is feature of 10g i.e flashback database confiured when archive log mode is enabled...,so in this case

S.Azar,

You should be clear about things that when you read notes from web, there can be a language mismatch. So the best is that search first over the oracle docs.

Now about your doubt, its a terminology mismatch which is happening here. To enable Flashback Database feature which is more persistent copy of the undo data , stored seperately in a FLB file, you MUST have to have archivelog mode configured in your db. Without this, you can't enable the Flashback Database feature. And you can't switch to noarchive log mode as well if you have Flashback Database mode on.

The other thing ( which I guess Anurag was mentioning ) is the normal Flashback feature which relies on Undo data stored in the undo tablespace. This solely is based on teh undo data and doesn't depend on the archive/nonarchive log mode of the database. But this is limited to that data and to that time period up till which you can store the undo data in your undo tablespace.

HTH
                      Aman....