6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 3:56 PM by 714343

Using "PO Output for Communication" to output just XML?

Hi,

I'm redesigning the existing XML Publisher template used for PO formatting, and wondered if it was possible to get the .xml output of a PO from the system? I've tried changing the output format of the concurrent request "PO Output for Communication" to XML - but when run this still tries to generate a PDF. Is there a way to get this XML output or does this request store its intermediary XML data in a temporary table?

Am I going about this completely the wrong way?!

Any help on this much appreciated; I couldn't see anything on Metalink.

Thanks,
      Tim
        • 1. Re: Using "PO Output for Communication" to output just XML?
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          Tim,

Please see if these documents help.

Note: 364177.1 - How to Generate Sample XML Data for Standard PO Report for use with XML Publisher
          Note: 438019.1 - Not Able To Find All XML Elements In PO Output For Communication
          Note: 416578.1 - New Template Not Picked By PO Output For Communication
          Note: 421255.1 - Notes and References to Resolve Common Issues With PO Output for Communication Report POXPOPDF
          Note: 562957.1 - Can POXPPO and POXPOPDF be Set to Call the Same Custom XML Data Source?

Regards,
          Hussein
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Using "PO Output for Communication" to output just XML?
            FYI I've found this old post:
            Re: PO XML For Loop

Is a bit of a hack but I guess it might be only way to do this. Doesn't look like there's going to be a better way.
            • 3. Re: Using "PO Output for Communication" to output just XML?
              hsawwan, Doc ID 364177.1 is SO close but relies on the fact the request has errored. I'm going to try going this road and see if I can find a way. If I get a nice solution then I'll post the response up.

Thanks,
              Tim
              • 4. Re: Using "PO Output for Communication" to output just XML?
                user16854
                We do it by:

1. Give Core Apps user (who needs to be a Buyer) access to run the 'PO Output for Communications' concurrent request
                2. Once you have your PO, do not approve it_ - leave it as incomplete
                3. Go to run a new Request > PO Output for Communication
                4. Enter PO Number, and set: Print Selection = New, PO Number = Incomplete PO you just created, Test=Debug
                5. Submit request
                6. On completion, request will error
                7. View log of errored job
                8. Do Tools > Copy Document to open Log in browser
                9. Scroll down until you find the <PO_DATA> tag. Start copying from there (including that tag).
                10. Stop copying at the </ADDRESS_DETAILS> tag (just before <XML_QUERY> starts...
                11. Copy the selection
                12. Paste the selection into a new text document, but put this in the first line: <?xml version = '1.0' encoding = 'ISO-8859-1'?>
                13. At the end of the text you pasted in (last bit should say </ADDRESS_DETAILS>.
                14. Manually type </PO_DATA> at the end of the text you pasted in.
                15. Save as an XML file.

You can then use that XML to plug into XML Publisher...

I have screenshots in a word doc if you'd like them emailing to you.

Of course, I am also about 4 weeks late on this reply, so you've probably done the work and moved onto something else now!

EDIT: Sorry - just realised that's exactly the same as Note 364177.1!

Edited by: jimr on Aug 25, 2009 4:19 PM
                • 5. Re: Using "PO Output for Communication" to output just XML?
                  deleted

Edited by: user2056096 on 03-Sep-2009 08:57
                  • 6. Re: Using "PO Output for Communication" to output just XML?
                    Jimr - thanks for that, was just the ticket. As the PO was already approved I just added a line (to unapprove it) and then removed that line and it was good to go.

FYI I logged an SR about this and this note (which I'd suggested to them initially) was there only solution. I'm sure there are more cumbersome ways to do this, but this seems to be the simplest.

cheers,
                    -tim

!http://www.bayfieldcounty.org/sheriff/images/case-solved.png!