10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2009 10:33 PM by Supro

serial attribute and org attribute problems with item master

IF i want to unassign an item from an org, how would i do tht
      The check is not updateable in the organization assignment tab

Secondly:

When i try to make an existing item serial controlled, i go to inventory tab on item master and when i change the serial control attribute GENERATION then "For some items it says APP-INV-05525: Either On Hand quantity or pending transactions exist for item, cannot change this value"

But for same item if i choose GENERATION sales order issue than it works fine.

Thirdly:
      How would i Use generated serial numbers..how to assign them or use them for issuing and recieving
        • 1. Re: serial attribute and org attribute problems with item master
          Supro
          Regarding the 1st part of your query: Unassigning item from an Org
          You cannot unassign an item that way (by unchecking the Assigned checkbox).
          You have 2 options:
          1) Delete the item from the respective Org if it is not yet transacted in that org.

Navigation : Items-> Delete Items

Once selecetd this will open deletion Group screen, please enter a new group name and description and for type select Item from LOV and then in details Tab enter your item that you want to be taken out.

Save the transaction and then click on Delete group button at the bottom of the screen --> this will raise a concurrent request.

If it is already transacted in the respective org from where you want to delete it then system will not allow to delete the item for audit trail purpose.

2) You can make the item 'Inactive' to prevent transactions or ordering (purchasing/sales) you can uncheck the appropriate attributes on that item in the org (assuming your attributes controls allow it at org level rather than master level).

Regarding Serial number generation options a) At Receipt and b) At Sales Order Issue:

a) At Receipt >> Create and assign serial numbers when you receive the item. As you move the material within inventory and until you issue it out you have to use the serial number for those transactions.

b) At Sales Order Issue >> Create and assign serial numbers when you issue (ship) the item against a sales order. For this option serial numbers are required at ship confirm.

Now as per the definitions given above, if there on-hand already exists in your organization(s) then you cannot set the serial generation control "At Receipt". Because in that case all existing on-hands should have serial number assigned which is not the case. On-hand should be zero to set the control "At Receipt". Hence system will prevent you from setting it to "At Receipt" when on-hamd exists. Also in your post you mentioned that you tried to change the control in Item Master, that means serial control generation attribute is set at Master level for you. In this case it will consider on-hands for that item in all the child orgs.

On the other side if you are setting serial control generation "At Sales Order Issue" then seral number is not required for existing on-hands because it will be created and assigned during ship confirm. So system will not prevent even if on-hand exists.

Considering the options available in the system your third question (How would i Use generated serial numbers..how to assign them or use them for issuing and recieving) not very clear. The "generated serial numbers" part is creating little confusion in mind as to what you are actually looking for.

As explained above, if control is set "At Receipt" >> Create and assign serial numbers when you receive the item. Use the Lot/ Serial button on the right hand corner of the material transaction screen and enter the serial number.

If control is At Sales Order Issue >> Create and assign serial numbers when you issue (ship) the item against a sales order. In the Shipping Transaction screen use Tools >> Serial Numbers option before ship confirm and enter the serial number.

But if you have set the control as "Predefined" then, assign predefined serial numbers (by generating before hand) when you receive the item. Thereafter, for any material transaction, you must provide a serial number for each unit.

Hope this helps.
          • 2. Re: serial attribute and org attribute problems with item master
            It surely helps
            Thanks
            I really appreciate it

You have any idea of reorder point planning as in with forecasting
            • 3. Re: serial attribute and org attribute problems with item master
              Supro wrote:
              Regarding the 1st part of your query: Unassigning item from an Org
              You cannot unassign an item that way (by unchecking the Assigned checkbox).
              You have 2 options:
              1) Delete the item from the respective Org if it is not yet transacted in that org.

Navigation : Items-> Delete Items

Once selecetd this will open deletion Group screen, please enter a new group name and description and for type select Item from LOV and then in details Tab enter your item that you want to be taken out.

Save the transaction and then click on Delete group button at the bottom of the screen --> this will raise a concurrent request.

If it is already transacted in the respective org from where you want to delete it then system will not allow to delete the item for audit trail purpose.

2) You can make the item 'Inactive' to prevent transactions or ordering (purchasing/sales) you can uncheck the appropriate attributes on that item in the org (assuming your attributes controls allow it at org level rather than master level).
              the item which i want to un-assign from an org has already been transacted several times in tht org..but i have made sure there is no on hand qty
              since you said i cant deketed the transacted items i tried to make it inactive but it gives this error

There are open deliver transactions for this item.Please process these before changing the attribute
              • 4. Re: serial attribute and org attribute problems with item master
                Supro
                As system has correctly indicated you have to close those open transactions before changing the attribute(s) / status so that it does not come in the way of processing those transactions. This way the integrity is maintained.
                For example, if you have open transactions to be performed and you want to set Transactable to 'No' then if the system allows that the integrity will be violated, hence system stops you from making the change until all those open transactions are cleared. Note, you may have oh-hands available in the system (just for example) when you are making this change but not open transactions.

What do you want to know about reorder point planning ?
                • 5. Re: serial attribute and org attribute problems with item master
                  I dont understand the setup of reorder point planning and forecasts.
                  Why are forecasts necessary for reorder point planning.
                  How does system calculate forecasts.
                  when i define a forecast set, it displays the same forecasted quantities for all buckets..i dont know why

In short the whole setup of reorder point planning
                  • 6. Re: serial attribute and org attribute problems with item master
                    Supro
                    emm wrote:
                    Why are forecasts necessary for reorder point planning.
                    Definition: Reorder point planning uses demand forecasts to decide when to order a new quantity to avoid dipping into safety stock. Reorder point planning suggests a new order for an item when the available quantity (on-hand quantity plus planned receipts) drops below the item's safety stock level plus forecast demand for the item during its replenishment lead-time.
                    Meaning, the time between when you reorder and the stock arrives (replenishment lead-time) the available on-hand quantity plus planned receipts should support the demand placed on inventory (coming out of different sources), so that the safety stock does not go below the specified level. Here the demand on inventory is estimated based on forecast generated/ entered. Otherwise it does not have means to know what would be the demand on inventory during replenishment lead-time.
                    emm wrote:
                    How does system calculate forecasts.
                    You can use any of the 3 options
                    1) Manually add items to the Forecast in the Forecast Items Block of the Forecast Sets form
                    2) Load the forecast based on a forecast rule (Planning >> Forecasts >> Generate). For this you need to define a Forecast Rule which can use following demand sources
                    - Sales Order Shipments
                    - Issues to WIP
                    - Miscellaneous Issues
                    - Inter-Org Transfers
                    3) Use the Copy/Merge Forecast Concurrent Program

For further details on reorder point planning processing you can also refer to the following thread.

Link: Re: Oracle Inventory: Reorder point planning
                    emm wrote:
                    when i define a forecast set, it displays the same forecasted quantities for all buckets..i dont know why
                    Please elaborate on how you defined it (steps in short) and with example, if possible. When forecasts are generated and maintained at an aggregate (week, month etc) time aggregation level as opposed to a detailed time aggregation level then Oracle ASCP can spread the periodic forecast demand evenly across the workday calendar. I hope you are not referring to this. Probably a little more detail will help me to understand the problem. I said probably because some problems are hard to solve offline, staying away from the system where the problem is coming; without taking a 1st hand look. :)

Thanks
                    - Supro
                    • 7. Re: serial attribute and org attribute problems with item master
                      i still dont undertsand after setting it up

I used this doc
                      http://www.scribd.com/doc/14677563/reorder-point-planning
                      Please review it

The bucketed quantities it displays into the future, how are those drived..
                      I suppose Compiling demand history is a part of reorder point forecasting..is that correct

Please advice
                      • 8. Re: serial attribute and org attribute problems with item master
                        Supro
                        The forecast entry examle given in the document (you referred) is done manually. The entry of 1000 quantities for a period of 7 weekly buckets is actually indicating that, this is the forecast demand (constant) for that item (in absence of any other demand) and used for deriving the bucketed quantities under the Forecast Bucketed Entries window. This is the current weekly demand forecast, 1000 per weekly bucket (for the period specified). Try entering another entry for the same item in the Forecast Items window, say for next 3 weeks with quantity as 300. Save the record and then requery the bucketed quantities. You'll notice that from the starting week for the 2nd entry (300 quantity) the original and current forcast entries have changed. Cumulative quantities will be aggregate starting from beginning. So based on what forecast entries you are specifying (manually here) the bucketed quantities will get adjusted automatically.

Now say if you are generating forecast based on past demand here is how it will behave. Assume Focus forecasting alogorithm for the forecast rule (you will need one) and weekly bucket. When you submit Generate Forecast (INV >> Planning >> Forecast >> Generate) it will spawn "Summarize demand histories" and will compile the item forecasts ("Compile item forecast") from there based on the past demand history of the item(s). It will first aggregate the past demands (like ASCP) and from there will test the selected item(s) against a number of forecasting techniques and will forecast future demand. There again you will see that the weekly forecast quantity is same for all the weekly buckets. As your demand history changes and you re-generate new forecasts, the bucketed quantities will also change.
                        emm wrote:
                        I suppose Compiling demand history is a part of reorder point forecasting..is that correct
                        Reorder point planning will depend on forecast but not on how it is generated.
                        If you are generating the forecast (Generate Forecast) from past demands using forecast set rule then Yes, demand history will be needed and as I have mentioned above after the submitting the main request it will be spawned. You can also separately run it and generate the demand history. If Oracle Inventory finds that the bucket type has already been compiled, the process attempts to save processing time.

If forecast is entered manually (based on some calculation) then demand history will not come into picture.

Thanks
                        - Supro
                        • 9. Re: serial attribute and org attribute problems with item master
                          This is what I did

Edited my forecast rule to focus from statistical..could you plz tell me defference between statistical and focus options.before it was statistical

Than i compiled demand history for all items in a particular organization..than made a forecast set and ran generate..

It shows all items in view items > bucketed

When rule was statistical, though after performing every step, the bueckets were empty..
                          but as soon i changes the rule to focus, it populated

and my rule is only based on miscellaneuos issues
                          Please advice
                          • 10. Re: serial attribute and org attribute problems with item master
                            Supro
                            emm wrote:
                            could you plz tell me defference between statistical and focus options.
                            I'll suggest you to create a new thread for this and I'll definitely give you a detail explanation. With your changing queries in each post, it is deviating from the actual thread subject (serial attribute and org attribute problems with item master) and finally the thread is showing up as unresolved.
                            Another suggestion is, when the questions are answered pertaining to the thread subject the requestor should mark the thread as appropriate (Answered, Helpful etc)

emm wrote:
                            When rule was statistical, though after performing every step, the bueckets were empty..
                            Please advice
                            After compiling the demand history using statistical rule, did you check in the Demand History whether any non-zero records were showing up or not ?
                            It is also important to know what values did you use for alpha smoothing factor, trend & season factors and seasonality indices (if any) in the forecast rule using statistical forecasting method.