8 Replies Latest reply: Aug 4, 2009 9:34 AM by SueHarper RSS

How do I change where SQL Developer looks for files?

APC
      I am devloping scripts to build a database schema. The install script looks like this
      @run_install_1.sql
      @run_install_2.sql
      @run_install_3.sql
      Some of those scripts themselves call files.

I have been running these quite happily in SQL Developer for some weeks now (well except for [url http://forums.oracle.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=3616772#3616772]that other bug). However, now I am trying to get my colleagues to run the same scripts but they are failing. The script output says
      Unable to open file "@My documents/run_install_1.sql" (or whatever).
      BAsically SqlD is picking up their default directory instead on looking in the same directory as the calling file.

Obviously I have somehow managed to alter this behaviour but for the life of me I don't know how. There doesn't seem to be an obvious preference for setting this.

Cheers, APC

blog: http://radiofreetooting.blogspot.com
        • 1. Re: How do I change where SQL Developer looks for files?
          -K-
          Did you guys configure the path in Preferences - Database - Worksheet params - Select default path to look for scripts ?

Hope that helps,
          K.
          • 2. Re: How do I change where SQL Developer looks for files?
            APC
            Nope. That parameter is blank on both my machine and the other chap's.

Cheers, APC

• 3. Re: How do I change where SQL Developer looks for files?
              -K-
              I remember a related discussion about this some time ago. Relative paths are picked up from the setting, rather than the parent-script's location. No idea if development is planning to fix this.
              So anyway, specifying the path should be the solution. Don't know why you and your colleagues are getting different behaviour though...

Hope that helps,
              K.

Edit: How about using *@@* instead of just *@* ?

Edited by: -K- on 03/08/2009 13:18
              • 4. Re: How do I change where SQL Developer looks for files?
                SueHarper
                APC,

That's your problem. I have a number of scripts that call other scripts. When you pass scripts like this on to others, you should tell them to add the path of the starting folder for all the scripts. You can use @ or @@ or start to run these files. You do need to set the start path preferences as described in this thread.

Sue
                • 5. Re: How do I change where SQL Developer looks for files?
                  APC
                  You can use @ or @@ or start to run these files. You do need to set the start path preferences as described in this thread.
                  Sorry Sue but my problem is this.

I have just run two scripts

Script #1 has this statement
                  @@patch_hist_0_1.sql
                  which in turn calls this
                  @../db_hist/alt_usr.tab
                  Script #2 has this statement
                  @@patch_app_0_1.sql
                  which in turn calls this
                  @../db_objects/alt_lkup_lt.sql
                  Now those two scripts - apart from the obvious - seem identical to me. So why does script#1 succeed and script#2 fail with
                  Unable to open file: "C:\sqldeveloper\sqldeveloper\bin\E:\blah\blah\blah\DatabaseCreateScripts\install\../db_objects/alt_lkup_lt.sql"
                  This is just plain inconsistent.

Cheers, APC

• 6. Re: How do I change where SQL Developer looks for files?
                    SueHarper
                    All my scripts call other *.sql scripts, so even though there is the obvious difference, this is not the issue. Other than that - you don't provide enough detail for me to help. I run scripts that call scripts all the time. It would be good to try to track this down, as I think this is a key feature in the worksheet.

Can you tell me the release you're running? I'll try some tests there.

Sue
                    • 7. Re: How do I change where SQL Developer looks for files?
                      APC
                      Hi Sue

I'm using 1.5.4

I fired up SQL D today, opened the files and they ran without a problem. Which is irritating to say the least (well actually it's good news but in the context of this thread it's irritating). My current hypothesis is that maybe the order in which the files get opened or get run has an influence. Or it may be something ambient like memory usage. Certainly explicitly setting a the worksheet default directory parameter seems to solve it. It's just unfortunate that we have two separate directories, install and regress, which get used a lot we want the developers to rebuild the schemas constantly (a poor man's CI).

We have also been problems with getting the scripts to run in SQL*Plus. It seems the Oracle client is very sensitive to where you start it from, and basically it doesn't honour the @@ notation.

Cheers, APC

• 8. Re: How do I change where SQL Developer looks for files?
                        SueHarper
                        Ok, well I guess that's a good news bad news story. It is important that you set the directory explicitly in SQL Developer. The good news is the scripts have now both worked. The bad news is that they did not appear to work when you tried them before (can you concede a typo perhaps?) Also that the @@ is not as you would like. So we have an ER to log on that.

I'm sure we all have areas in the product that are important and this is one I use a lot, because I'm forever rebuilding my test environment, so when my scripts fail, I'm not happy. ;-)

Within the parameters of setting that directory, if indeed you are running into inconsistencies. Let us know.

Sue