2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 26, 2012 9:35 AM by 695834

converting sql query based report to XML--giving warning

Hi all,

I have a custom report based on a sql query (method- sql*plus) i need to convert this report to XML. I follow these steps
      I have generated xml file through opening that query in rdf report builder (file>>generate to file>>xml)
      I open this XML file in word and do the rest of processing
      copy the original concurrent program(copy to option in define window)
      changed the short name and the output type to XML (keeping method and executable the same)
      add the newly build program to thr request group same as of original conc program
      now if i run that program it will show a warning when i checked the log (manager log in conc program adminster) it shows following error
      >>Caused by: oracle.xdo.parser.v2.XMLParseException: Start of root element expected.

when i checked the XML (from diagnostics) i got following text by giving different parametres
      >>Whitespace is not allowed at this location. Error processing resource
      >> A semi colon character was expected. Error processing resource

I have checked the preview while i was preparing template in word it was fine showing the data
      by giving same parameters for which i have generated the XML it shows the same warning in apps
      Also the log file has the data ....

i am using reports 6i , XML 5.6.2 and apps 11.5.10.2

kindly help me in solving this

thanks in advance

Shivdeep Singh
        • 1. Re: converting sql query based report to XML--giving warning
          first question - did you simply change the output format of your concurrent request (with executable type SQL*Plus) to XML and add a template to it?

If this is the case, I am not surprised you get an error. You need to make sure you are generating actual XML output. If you run the request and then click on the 'Diagnostics' button you will see a button saying 'show XML'. Click on this to see what you get. If you get an error, then it is not correct XML.

This being the case, you have a number of options:

1. create a data template and use that to create the XML
          2. use appropriate XML functions in your query to generate the XML (never tried this so can't guarantee it will work)
          3. use the reports rdf file to generate the XML
          4. generate the XML from PL/SQL

I would suggest you try option 2 first as it should be fairly quick & easy to test, then use option 1 as the best solution if it doesn't work.

Good Luck!
          • 2. Re: converting sql query based report to XML--giving warning
            hi mike

this is exactly the case, when i click on view XML in diagnostic it is showing me the errors like

Whitespace is not allowed at this location. Error processing resource
            A semi colon character was expected. Error processing resource

there was a issue with the data

thanks
            Shivdeep Singh

Edited by: user1054040 on Apr 26, 2012 2:34 AM