1 2 3 4 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2009 11:50 PM by EileenRoach Go to original post
      • 15. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
        I am pretty demoralized this morning. I reconfigured my VM to use RHEL 5.3, installed my Oracle 11g database, and then installed Identity Management 11g. When I ran the Identity Management 11g Configuration Wizard, I received the same error about starting the opmn server.
        • 16. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
          That's too bad ... what could be the problem then? I will install an Oracle 11g Database in my server to see if I can break it on my side, but I do not really that's the problem. What else did you configure as part of the installation of your server?

Did you connect your VM to the internet to download the latest updates? Remember I mentioned that the sysstat and compat-db packages do not come with the installation discs.

Maybe you're not getting a package updated, I will get you the exact packages versions of my installation to see if there is a difference there....

The list I gave you earlier was the minimum required by Oracle but at installation time in my system it found more recent ones.
          • 17. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn server
            onlineAppsDBA.com
            I had similar issue which was cause by LD_ASSUME_KERNEL on linux

unset this variable before 11g Identity Management installation

unset LD_ASSUME_KERNEL and then install 11gOID

Regards
            Atul Kumar

[http://onlineappsdba.com/index.php/2009/08/21/installing-oracle-fusion-middleware-fmw-11g-identity-management-components-oid-dip-ovd-oif/]
            • 18. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
              Thank you for the suggestion about LD_ASSUME_KERNEL. Unfortunately, I checked and my VM does not have that environment variable set. I appreciate the suggestion though.

Rodolfo -- I appreciate you continuing to help me. I will reply back in a bit with a detailed list of the steps I took from the moment I created my VM to when I ran the Identity Management Configuration Wizard. Afterwards, I think that I may add a second VM to my configuration... I will install Oracle 11g with my database on the first VM, and then just install Oracle Identity Management 11g on my second VM. That will mimic your environment more closely, and will really limit the steps that I take on my second VM. I have a funny feeling that things will work if I do that.
              • 19. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                If I install an Oracle 11g DB and it breaks the installation with the same opmn error that you get then we would be certain that the problem is the DB install and having a separate server will fix your problem ... but I have my doubts about that -- there should not be such a restriction on the installer.

I tend to believe more that there is package(s) that is not up-to-date, I updated multiples erratas after installation as well... so there is still the chance that your VM might not be using the same package versions as mine.
                • 20. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                  I should clarify... I don't think that Identity Management 11g has a problem running on a machine where an Oracle 11g instance is already up and running. I think that there is something very subtle that I am doing configuration-wise which is causing a problem. I wouldn't be surprised at all if your VM runs with Identity Management 11g and an Oracle 11g database, even though mine does not. That is why I am curious to try using a second VM for my Identity Management 11g installation.

Your concern about the versions of RHEL 5.3 packages I am using is a valid one, and one that I would to check into as well.
                  • 21. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                    onlineAppsDBA.com
                    removing entry as you already tried starting OPMN Manually so main issue here is

OPMN worker process exited with status 8b. Restarting.

I could see 1 BUG where OPMN core dumps with similar error message but later that bug was cloased because it was not reproducible.

Do you see any thing in /var/log/messages ?

Edited by: onlineAppsDBA.com on Aug 22, 2009 3:10 AM
                    • 22. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                      onlineAppsDBA.com -- You have summarized my problem well. I did try running ./opmnctl start (although not startall) just as you had described and, just as during the configuration wizard, the server failed to start. I checked the opmn.out file (in the ORACLE_INSTANCE/diagnostics/logs/OPMN/opmn directory), and found the following error repeated several times:
                      OPMN worker process terminated with signal 11 7 times in 10 seconds -- aborting!
                      I appreciate you taking the time to make suggestions!
                      • 23. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                        Rodolfo -- I am in the process of reconfiguring my VM configuration. I created a first VM with RHEL 5.3 and then installed Oracle 11g and my database. I then created a second VM and installed Oracle Identity Management 11g on it. I ran into one error during the installation routine, although the routine continued through to completion:
                        Error in invoking target 'irman utilities' of makefile 'home/oracle/bea_default/Oracle_IDM1/rdbms/lib/ins_rdbms.mk'
                        Not knowing how big of a deal the error was, I decided to run the Identity Management 11g Configuration Wizard. I ran into a problem when giving it a Connect String to my database in the 'Create Schema' section. I then remembered that you had installed an Oracle client on your RHEL VM in order to access your Windows database. So, I wanted to see if you could tell me what you did specifically to install the client and access your database (I just want to keep my development environment as close to yours as possible).

In case it is helpful, here are all of the things that I have done to configure my second VM. I am encouraged somewhat, as all of the items I have modified are ones that you specifically mentioned changing. So, I think that temporarily moving my database to a second VM may be a helpful debugging tool.

1. Created the VM with RHEL 5.3 as the operating system, 2048 MB of memory, and one hard drive with 80 GB of space. Note that the VM does not have Internet access. although it can access an internal network behind a firewall.
                        2. Configured VNC for the 'root' user.
                        3. Set a DNS domain name for the system, as I found that the Identity Management 11g installation routine will fail if the domain name is empty.
                        4. Added my first VM, Oracle11g.vmlab, to the /etc/hosts file.
                        5. Created the group oinstall and the user oracle.
                        6. Created directory /data1/u01/app/oracle and gave ownership of it to the 'oracle' user.
                        7. Configured VNC for the 'oracle' user.
                        8. Changed SELinux to permanently permissive.
                        9. Set hardnofiles and softnofiles to 4096.
                        10. Installed packages sysstat-5.0.5-1 and compat-db-4.1.25-9.
                        11. Downloaded (from a local server) and extracted the Oracle Identity Management 11g installer (ofm_idm_linux_11.1.1.1.0_32_disk1_1of1.zip).
                        12. Ran the Identity Management 11g installer with the 'Install Only - Do Not Configure' option.

Once again, thank you for all of your help in this matter!
                        • 24. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                          Atul -- Sorry it took me so long to get back with you... I had to get my VM back to a known state. Listed below are the last few entries in the /var/log/messages/file. I believe that they correspond to the period of time when the Oracle Identity Management 11g Configuration Wizard was running.
                          Aug 21 23:44:19 Oracle11g smartd[3601]: smartd version 5.38 [i686-redhat-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce Allen 
                          Aug 21 23:44:19 Oracle11g smartd[3601]: Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/  
                          Aug 21 23:44:19 Oracle11g smartd[3601]: Opened configuration file /etc/smartd.conf 
                          Aug 21 23:44:19 Oracle11g smartd[3601]: Configuration file /etc/smartd.conf was parsed, found DEVICESCAN, scanning devices 
                          Aug 21 23:44:19 Oracle11g smartd[3601]: Device: /dev/hda, opened 
                          Aug 21 23:44:19 Oracle11g kernel: hda: drive_cmd: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
                          Aug 21 23:44:19 Oracle11g kernel: hda: drive_cmd: error=0x04 { AbortedCommand }
                          Aug 21 23:44:19 Oracle11g kernel: ide: failed opcode was: 0xec
                          Aug 21 23:44:19 Oracle11g smartd[3601]: Device: /dev/hda, not ATA, no IDENTIFY DEVICE Structure 
                          Aug 21 23:44:19 Oracle11g smartd[3601]: Device: /dev/sda, opened 
                          Aug 21 23:44:19 Oracle11g smartd[3601]: Device: /dev/sda, IE (SMART) not enabled, skip device Try 'smartctl -s on /dev/sda' to turn on SMART features 
                          Aug 21 23:44:19 Oracle11g smartd[3601]: Device: /dev/sdb, opened 
                          Aug 21 23:44:19 Oracle11g smartd[3601]: Device: /dev/sdb, IE (SMART) not enabled, skip device Try 'smartctl -s on /dev/sdb' to turn on SMART features 
                          Aug 21 23:44:19 Oracle11g smartd[3601]: Monitoring 0 ATA and 0 SCSI devices 
                          Aug 21 23:44:19 Oracle11g smartd[3603]: smartd has fork()ed into background mode. New PID=3603. 
                          Aug 21 23:44:20 Oracle11g pcscd: winscard.c:304:SCardConnect() Reader E-Gate 0 0 Not Found
                          Aug 21 23:44:20 Oracle11g last message repeated 3 times
                          Aug 21 23:44:27 Oracle11g kernel: process `sysctl' is using deprecated sysctl (syscall) net.ipv6.neigh.eth0.base_reachable_time; Use net.ipv6.neigh.eth0.base_reachable_time_ms instead.
                          Aug 21 23:44:41 Oracle11g kernel: program nmhs is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO
                          Aug 21 23:44:41 Oracle11g last message repeated 7 times
                          Aug 21 23:45:08 Oracle11g gconfd (root-3963): starting (version 2.14.0), pid 3963 user 'root'
                          Aug 21 23:45:08 Oracle11g gconfd (root-3963): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only configuration source at position 0
                          Aug 21 23:45:08 Oracle11g gconfd (root-3963): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/root/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at position 1
                          Aug 21 23:45:08 Oracle11g gconfd (root-3963): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only configuration source at position 2
                          Aug 21 23:45:09 Oracle11g gconfd (root-3963): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/root/.gconf" to a writable configuration source at position 0
                          Aug 21 23:45:09 Oracle11g pcscd: winscard.c:304:SCardConnect() Reader E-Gate 0 0 Not Found
                          Aug 21 23:45:09 Oracle11g last message repeated 4 times
                          Aug 21 23:45:10 Oracle11g hald: mounted /dev/hda on behalf of uid 0
                          Aug 21 23:45:10 Oracle11g nm-system-settings: Loaded plugin ifcfg-rh: (c) 2007 - 2008 Red Hat, Inc.  To report bugs please use the NetworkManager mailing list.
                          Aug 21 23:45:10 Oracle11g nm-system-settings:    ifcfg-rh: parsing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo ... 
                          Aug 21 23:45:10 Oracle11g nm-system-settings:    ifcfg-rh:     error: Ignoring loopback device config.
                          Aug 21 23:45:10 Oracle11g nm-system-settings:    ifcfg-rh: parsing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 ... 
                          Aug 21 23:45:10 Oracle11g nm-system-settings:    ifcfg-rh:     read connection 'System eth0'
                          Aug 21 23:47:45 Oracle11g kernel: program nmhs is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it to SG_IO
                          Thanks again for your help!

Edited by: user10786023 on Aug 21, 2009 9:37 PM
                          • 25. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                            I also think that moving the DB to another server would helpful to the troubleshooting... now, that I am trying to install it and I can see lots of changes to the Kernel parameters that my VM did not have and might be affecting the IDM configuration.

Indeed, I installed the 11g client to connect to the windows database but I do not believe the installer uses it, the connection string should be given in the format:

dbserver.mydomain.com:port:service.mydomain.com

As long as your VM can resolve the dbserver.mydomain.com in either the /etc/hosts or thru a DNS, things should go fine, NOTE: the service name uses also the mydomain.com as configured in the TNSNAMES.ORA of the dbserver, this is not the same as the SID. What error do you exactly get when trying to connect to the DB with the config.sh script?

The VM that you are using to install IDM 11g, does not have to be a DNS server, its network configuration just have to point to a DNS server ... or like I said... resolve the dbserver.mydomain.com with the /etc/hosts file.

If you still want to install the client, select the option Client Runtime, and then use its netca to configure the dbserver with it..(Local Netservice Configuration) - that's all I did.

I do not have the SELinux enabled in my VM, I will set it to permanently permissive to see if that makes a change.

I will continue trying to install the DB and I will update the thread with the results of the installation.
                            • 26. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                              Rodolfo -- Your explanation makes sense, although I was using the format "dbserver.mydomain:1521:service.mydomain". I verified that my hosts entry for dbserver.mydomain was correct as the IP address was resolved correctly when I tried to ping it. I also verified that I am using the service.mydomain value which is in the TNSNAMES.ora file on the first VM. For the user name, I specified 'system'.

Here is the error message I am getting from the configuration wizard:
                              INST-5124: Could not connect to the Database with the given credentials
                              Check the values. Make sure the Database is up and running and connect string, username and password are correct.
                              I know that I keep repeating myself, but I really appreciate all of the time and effort you have put into helping me. THANK YOU!!

Edited by: user10786023 on Aug 21, 2009 10:29 PM

Edited by: user10786023 on Aug 21, 2009 10:29 PM
                              • 27. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                                You should try with SYS instead of SYSTEM, double check the password as well, connect directly to your dbserver and use sqlplus from that server to connect to the db with the credentials that you are using, also you should install the 11g client in your IDM server and configure it to connect to the dbserver, just so that we verify that another piece of software can indeed connect to your DB in the dbserver...

Changing back to the IDM config.sh issue, I tried just setting the SELinux to restrictive and re-running the IDM configuration without installing the DB and it made a difference but it did not fail in the end, I got some warnings from the SELinux side saying that the ldapd was trying to do something but it was allowed.... I once again tried opmnctl status and services were up and running.

I almost done with the installation of the DB and I will repeat the IDM installation/configuration ... we will see if the database is causing problems with the IDM install.

I also have a list of the packages used in my system for the IDM install (these are the pre-requisites):

1) gcc-4.1.2-44.el5-i386
                                2) gcc-c++-4.1.2-44.el5-i386
                                3) setarch-2.0-1.1-i386
                                4) sysstat-7.0.2-3.el5-i386
                                5) libstdcc++-4.1.2-44-el5.i386
                                6) libstdc++-devel-4.1.2-44-el5-i386
                                7) compat-db-4.2.52-5.1-i386
                                8) control-center-1:2.16.0-16-el5-i386
                                9) glibc-common-2.5-34.el5.3.1-i386
                                10) binutils-2.17.50.0.6-9.el5-i386
                                11) make-1:3.81-3.el5-i386

h2. UPDATE
                                Database installed without problems, re-run installation/configuration of IDM 11g - OID and once again .. things went fine ... services are up and running....

On the errata updates, I have 85 updates since the server was installed, I think they got updated the following day... you can also look into updating all those erratas in your system, unless we are missing something from the picture our systems are starting to look practically identical.

Edited by: Rodolfo Ferrari on Aug 22, 2009 8:09 AM
                                • 28. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                                  Rodolfo -- Thanks for all of the feedback!

If it turns out that the IDM configuration wizard runs successfully with the database running on my separate VM, then I will list out all of the steps that I took to install and configure the database on my VM. Hopefully, something will jump out that I did differently from you.

I am going to follow your suggestions on the connection front.

I wanted to double-check one item. When I ran the configuration wizard on the same machine with the database installed, I used a connect string of "serverName.vmlab:1521:dbName.vmlab" and that worked. So, that is the same connect string that I am trying to use now, with the database on a separate machine. While on the machine with the database, I ran "sqlplus system/password@dbName.vmlab" but received a "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified" error. Here is what is in my TNSNAMES.ORA:
                                  DBNAME =
                                     (DESCRIPTION =
                                        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = serverName.vmlab)(PORT = 1521))
                                        (CONNECT DATA =
                                           (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                                           (SERVICE_NAME = dbName.vmlab)
                                        )
                                     )
                                  When I run "sqlplus system/password@dbName" with my current TNSNAMES.ORA, things work. I tried using a connect string of "serverName.vmlab:1521:dbName" from the IDM VM, but that didn't work. So, I am not sure if I should modify my tnsnames.ora.

When you have time, I would appreciate it if you would list your TNSNAMES.ORA from the Windows server, along with the connect string you used when accessing that database. I am happy to change tnsnames.ora if I need to... I just wanted to check first.
                                  • 29. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                                    This is how it works, for the configuration/installation wizards you always have to use server.mydomain:port:myservice.mydomain, when connecting with SQLPlus always use the Oracle SID... the service without the domain part.

This is the part that is not clear to me

+"When I run "sqlplus system/password@dbName" with my current TNSNAMES.ORA, things work. I tried using a connect string of "serverName.vmlab:1521:dbName" from the IDM VM, but that didn't work. So, I am not sure if I should modify my tnsnames.ora."+

I do not think you need to modify any tnsnames.ora file, just do as I mentioned before, for the installation/configuration wizards add the domain name, in your comment you used a connection string without the domain part, that's why it fails; for SQLPlus client in either machine use the SID, the service without the domain part.

My TNSNAMES.ORA of the database in the Linux Server and the Windows Server look exactly the same as yours... there are no problems there...

There must be something else that we are doing differently ...