1 2 3 4 Previous Next 49 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2009 11:50 PM by EileenRoach Go to original post
      • 30. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
        Rodolfo -- I am still working to install the Oracle client on the IDM VM... I will post an update later in the evening.

But, I was thinking about the fact that your installation of the Oracle 11g Database and Oracle IDM worked on the same machine, while mine did not. One thing that I did between installing the Oracle 11g Database and IDM was to configure the Oracle database instance to restart automatically upon system boot (as it does not do so by default in Linux). The main reason that I did this is because I found I was having to power down the system periodically since it is a VM. Perhaps this is something I should wait to do until after I install IDM. Did you by chance configure the instance to restart automatically before installing IDM?

In case it is helpful, here are the exact steps I followed to configure the Oracle database instance to restart automatically:

- Edited the /etc/oratab file, as follows: dbName:/data1/u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.0/db_1:Y
        - Changed to the /etc/init.d directory. Created a file named dbora while logged in as user oracle, as follows:
        #!/bin/sh
        # chkconfig: 345 99 10
        # description: Oracle auto start-stop script.
        #
        # Set ORA_HOME to be equivalent to the $ORACLE_HOME
        # from which you wish to execute dbstart and dbshut;
        #
        # Set ORA_OWNER to the user id of the owner of the
        # Oracle database in ORA_HOME.

ORA_HOME=/data1/u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.0/db_1
        ORA_OWNER=oracle
        if [ ! -f $ORA_HOME/bin/dbstart ]
        then
           echo "Oracle startup: cannot start"
           exit
        fi

case "$1" in
           'start')
               # Start the Oracle databases:
               # The following command assumes that the oracle login
               # will not prompt the user for any values
               echo "ORACLE STARTS"
               su - $ORA_OWNER –c “$ORA_HOME/bin/dbstart $ORA_HOME”
               su - $ORA_OWNER –c “$ORA_HOME/bin/emctl start dbconsole”
               ;;

'stop')
                # Stop the Oracle databases:
                # The following command assumes that the oracle login
                # will not prompt the user for any values
                echo "ORACLE STOPS"
                su - $ORA_OWNER -c "$ORA_HOME/bin/dbshut $ORA_HOME"
                ;;
        esac
        - While logged in as root, I entered the following to set the privileges on the file to 750: chmod 750 /etc/init.d/dbora
        - Entered the following to associate the dbora service with the appropriate run levels and to set it to auto-start: chkconfig --level 345 dbora on
        - Edited the ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart file. Replaced the line ‘ORACLE_HOME_LISTNER=$1’ with the following: ORACLE_HOME_LISTNER=$ORACLE_HOME
        - While logged in as oracle, changed to the /etc/init.d directory. Then verified the script by entering the following:
        ./dbora start
        ./dbora stop
        - Rebooted the system, then verified that the Oracle instance is up and running [including the Oracle Enterprise Manager Database Control].

Edited by: user10786023 on Aug 22, 2009 5:10 PM
        • 31. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
          In think you should postpone your auto-start setup until after the IDM installation is complete, just to reduce the number of changes in the system....

No, I did not do this on my system, I just started the listener and the database and I did not start the EM db console. Just the essentials like they said..

Does this script start also the Listener? I am not familiar with the startup/shutdown scripts but I did notice that you have to do things manually, it is not like Windows where the install automatically creates services..
          • 32. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
            Rodolfo -- I do not plan to look at the auto-start setup until I finish the test with the two VMs.

I am still working to get a successful connection to my database from the IDM VM. Interestingly, when the Network Configuration Assistant screen appeared during the Client installation, it did not ask me for any values... it just said that my system could support EZCONNECT. That may be normal... I am not sure.

When I run "sqlplus system/password@dbName" on the database VM, the connection is successful. I tried running "sqlplus system/password@serverName.domain:1521:dbName" from both the database VM and IDM VM, but I received the following error: ORA-12545 Connect failed because target host or object does not exist. Are you able to run "sqlplus system/password@serverName.domain:1521:dbName" from either your database VM or IDM VM? If so, then that indicates that I still have a configuration problem with my database.

As I mentioned before, my tnsnames.ora file contains the following entry:
            DBNAME =
              (DESCRIPTION =
                (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = serverName.vmlab)(PORT = 1521))
                (CONNECT_DATA =
                  (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                  (SERVICE_NAME = dbName.vmlab)
                )
              )
            To check the status of the listener, I executed "lsnrctl status" and got the following response:
            Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1521)))
            STATUS OF THE LISTENER
            -------------------------------------------
            Alias:  LISTENER
            Version:  TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 11.1.0.6.0 - Production
            Start Date:  22-AUG-2009 23:56:35
            Uptime:  0 days 1 hr. 34 min. 57 sec
            Trace level:  off
            Security:  ON: Local OS Authentication
            SNMP:  OFF
            Listener Parameter File:  /data1/u01/app/oracle/product/11.1.0/db_1/network/admin/listener.ora
            Listener Log File:  /data1/u01/app/oracle/diag/tnsllsnr/Oracle11g/listener/alert/log.xml
            Listening Endpoints Summary...
              (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=EXTPROC1521)))
              (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=serverName.vmlab)(PORT=1521)))
            Services Summary...
            Service "dbName.vmlab" has 1 instance(s).
              Instance "dbName", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
            Service "<dbName>XDB.vmlab" has 1 instance(s).
            Service "<dbName>_XPT.vmlab" has 1 instance(s).
            The command completed successfully
            This looked ok to me but, if you see something suspicious, please let me know.

Once again, thank you for all of your help! I am still relatively new to Oracle, so I appreciate all of your help. I am going to continue to work on the connectivity issue, but I figured that I would post here in case I am missing something obvious.

Edited by: user10786023 on Aug 22, 2009 11:17 PM
            • 33. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
              Finally, some progress on the database connection front. I checked the security settings, and realized that the database VM had a firewall enabled. So, I disabled the firewall, and my IDM VM can now connect to the database. YEAH!!

Back to the IDM Configuration Wizard...
              • 34. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                Well, I have some good news and some frustrating news.

On the good news front:
                1. I resolved the error that had appeared at the end of the IDM installation routine. This one was a simple fix... I simply downloaded the IDM installation routine again and then re-ran it. This time it worked.
                2. By disabling the firewall on the database VM, the connect string that I entered in the IDM Configuration Wizard was validated and accepted.

Unfortunately, the Configuration Wizard exited with the same error of "Error in starting opmn server."

I am so frustrated right now... I really thought that pulling the database component into a separate VM would work.
                • 35. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                  One last update for tonight.

I checked my package versions against yours. Our versions look to be identical, with the exception of one case:

Mine: glibc-commin-2.5-34
                  Yours: glibc-common-2.5-34.el5.3.1

I also went ahead and reset my IDM VM back to an earlier state... I then continued with the process without installing the Oracle Client. Unfortunately, it didn't make a difference. But, it does rule one more thing out.

So, to recap, here are the steps that I went through with my IDM VM:

1. Created the VM with RHEL 5.3 as the operating system, 2048 MB of memory, and one hard drive with 80 GB of space. Note that the VM does not have Internet access. although it can access an internal network behind a firewall.
                  2. Configured VNC for the 'root' user.
                  3. Set a DNS domain name for the system, as I found that the Identity Management 11g installation routine will fail if the domain name is empty.
                  4. Added my first VM, Oracle11g.vmlab, to the /etc/hosts file.
                  5. Created the group oinstall and the user oracle.
                  6. Created directory /data1/u01/app/oracle and gave ownership of it to the 'oracle' user.
                  7. Configured VNC for the 'oracle' user.
                  8. Changed SELinux to permanently permissive.
                  9. Set hardnofiles and softnofiles to 4096.
                  10. Installed packages sysstat-5.0.5-1 and compat-db-4.1.25-9.
                  11. Downloaded (from a local server) and extracted the Oracle Identity Management 11g installer (ofm_idm_linux_11.1.1.1.0_32_disk1_1of1.zip).
                  12. Ran the Identity Management 11g installer with the 'Install Only - Do Not Configure' option.
                  13. Ran the Identity Management 11g Configuration Wizard, which resulted in the "Error in starting opmn server" error.

My guess is that these steps match your steps exactly. If so, I wonder if my VM could be defaulting to a different system setting than you are, which is somehow causing a problem. Just a thought.

Edited by: user10786023 on Aug 23, 2009 3:22 AM

Edited by: user10786023 on Aug 23, 2009 3:27 AM
                  • 36. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                    No, I am not able to run "sqlplus system/password@serverName.domain:1521:dbName" from either of my servers (Windows and Linux).

TNSNAMES.ora and Listener Status are fine.. that's how they should look..
                    • 37. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                      Yeah, I figured out that "sqlplus system/password@serverName.domain:1521:dbName" was not the proper format. It turns out that "sqlplus system/password@//serverName.domain:1521/dbName.domain" works instead.

Thankfully, I moved past the connection problem when I disabled the firewall on the database VM.

Edited by: user10786023 on Aug 23, 2009 11:28 AM
                      • 38. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                        I think you should further investigate why your system is not picking the same glic-common library .... I double checked the name and there are no multiple versions in my system and it appears this library was updated after the OS install, which leads to me believe it might have been updated by the erratas... you should have your administrator update your system to the latest erratas and see if this library is updated...

You can double check by going to the /usr/share/doc/glibc-common-2.5 to see if its timestamp gets updated.

The full name is glibc-common-2.5-34.el5_3.1-i386, I have confirmed that the IDM installer is recognizing this library as well.

The recommended glibc version is also recognized as 2.5-34.el5_3.1

Can you re-run the IDM installer and confirm these values ? Don't install the software again, just get to the part where it checks the pre-requisites...

If the name is different and confirmed in your system, then you could contact Red Hat and explain the situation, ask them why your system is not picking up the same library as mine.... glibc is a very basic library, I do not think is dependent on a different hardware.. maybe if you get your system updated to the latest erratas you will get the latest.... I do not really know..either way, I think contacting Red Hat is a good idea regardless.

h2. UPDATE
                        I just double checked in RHN, this glibc-common-2.5-34.el5_3.1-i386 is available for manual download, you can download it and install it.. It was also updated by bugfix errata, you should do both things, download/install and update the errata..

https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/software/packages/details/Overview.do?pid=488671

Edited by: Rodolfo Ferrari on Aug 23, 2009 8:56 PM
                        1 person found this helpful
                        • 39. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                          I learned something new today, sqlplus uses the discovery methods as defined in the sqlnet.ora, in my case the tnsnames.ora to resolve names is the one that I use most of the times, so I did not realize that EZCONNECT was the second method, the one that you just explained.
                          • 40. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                            Rodolfo -- You are correct about the fact that my operating system has not been updated with the latest security patches. My VM is not connected to the Internet, which makes it difficult to get the security patches.

My administrator did download file glibc-common-2.5-34.el5_3.1.i386 from RHN. I tried to install it on my VM, but ran into problems because of file dependencies (I am guessing that I need many more updated files). Because I had problems running the Configuration Wizard with both RHEL 5.1 and RHEL 5.3, I really doubt that the problem lies with the glibc package... if there had been a package problem impacting Oracle Identity Management from RHEL 5.1 to at least the early releases of RHEL 5.3, I would imagine that I would have seen mention of it on the Oracle site.

I did re-run the IDM installer, and my VM passed the prerequisites check. In reference to glibc, it said that it was checking for glibc-common-2.3.4-2.9 and found glibc-common-2.5-34-i386 (Passed).

I wanted to see if you would be willing to do one more thing to assist me-- install an IDM VM according to the directions below. I created a brand new VM and followed these streamlined instructions today, with the normal failed results. You have invested so much time to help me, so I understand completely if you are ready to move on. But, I figured that it couldn't hurt to ask. (If nothing else, perhaps you could glance through the instructions and see if I am doing something you are not or if you are doing something which I am not.)

If you have success while following the exact same instructions that I did, then I may try to install Oracle 11g and Oracle Identity Management 11g on an actual machine instead of on a VM. Perhaps there is something in my VMware Lab Manager Configuration which is causing a problem.

ORACLE IDENTITY MANAGEMENT 11G INSTALLATION & CONFIGURATION STEPS

Note: The following instructions assume that you have an Oracle 11g database installed on a separate machine/VM. You should do the following on this database VM:
                            - Disable the firewall (or allow external connections to port 1521).
                            - Set the database initialization parameter named processes to a value of 500.

1. Create a VM with RHEL 5.3 as the operating system and with 2048MB of memory. If possible, please do not obtain the latest RHEL 5.3 security patches.

2. Download the Linux CD for Oracle Identity Management 11g (ofm_idm_linux_11.1.1.1.0_32_disk1_1of1.zip) to the VM. Then remove the Internet connection.

3. Disable SELinux
                            - Open a terminal as root, and change to the /etc/selinux directory.
                            - Edit the config file, as follows: SELINUX=disabled
                            - Reboot the system.

4. Ensure that a DNS Domain Name has been set for the system. For some reason, the Oracle Identity Management 11g installation routine fails if the domain name is empty.
                            - Open a terminal as root, and navigate to the /etc/sysconfig directory.
                            - Open the network file.
                            - Locate the ‘HOSTNAME=’ entry. If its value consists of only one word (meaning there is a host name but no domain name), then add ‘.<domainName>’ to the end of the value.
                            - Open the hosts file in the /etc directory. Locate the entry for the hostname, which should have a format of ‘xx.xx.xx.xx hostName’. Replace it with an entry of the format ‘xx.xx.xx.xx hostName.domainName hostName’.

5. Ensure that you can access the database VM via its DNS name:
                            - Open the hosts file in the /etc directory.
                            - Add an entry for the database VM.
                            - Verify that you can reach the database VM by pinging it via its DNS name.

6. Create the Oracle groups and user accounts by executing the following commands as root:
                            /usr/sbin/groupadd oinstall
                            /usr/sbin/groupadd dba
                            /usr/sbin/useradd -m -g oinstall -G dba oracle
                            id oracle
                            passwd oracle

7. Set hardnofiles and softnofiles to 4096
                            - Open a terminal as the ‘root’ user.
                            - Change to the /etc/security directory and add the following to the limits.conf file:
                            oracle soft nofile 4096
                            oracle hard nofile 4096

8. Install the following packages (or later versions) if they are not already installed on the system:
                            sysstat-5.0.5-1
                            compat-db-4.1.25-9

9. Extract the Linux CD for Oracle Identity Management 11g (ofm_idm_linux_11.1.1.1.0_32_disk1_1of1.zip).

10. Log out as root. Then log in as user oracle.

11. Install Oracle Identity Management 11g
                            - Open a terminal and navigate to the Disk1 directory within the Oracle Identity Management 11g extracted software.
                            - Enter ./runInstaller to begin installation.
                            - Specify the following settings to the Oracle Fusion Middleware 11g Oracle Identity Management Installer:
                            -- Inventory Directory
                            --- Inventory Directory: /home/oracle/oraInventory
                            --- Operating System Group name: oinstall
                            -- When prompted, open a terminal as root and run the given configuration script.
                            -- Installation Type: Install Software – Do Not Configure
                            -- Installation Location
                            --- Oracle Middleware Home: /home/oracle/bea_default
                            --- Oracle Home Directory: Oracle_IDM1
                            -- Specify Security Updates: Leave all fields and checkboxes blank (since the VM has no Internet access)
                            -- When prompted during the installation, open a terminal as root and run the given configuration script.

12. Configure Oracle Identity Management 11g Components
                            - Open a terminal, and start the Oracle Identity Management 11g Release 1 Configuration Wizard (ORACLE_IDM_HOME/bin/config.sh).
                            - Specify the following settings to the wizard:
                            -- Select Domain: Configure without a Domain
                            -- Installation Location
                            --- Oracle Instance Location: /home/oracle/as_admin/asinst_1
                            --- Oracle Instance Name: asinst_1
                            -- Specify Security Updates: Leave all fields and checkboxes blank (since the VM has no Internet access)
                            -- Configure Components: Only select Oracle Internet Directory
                            -- Configure Ports: Auto Port Configuration
                            -- Specify Schema Database: Create Schema
                            --- Connect String: databaseVMName.domainName:port:dbName.domainName
                            --- User Name: system
                            --- Password: <password for the system account>
                            -- Enter OID Passwords
                            -- Oracle Internet Directory Information
                            --- Realm (default): dc=vmlab

My best guess is that these steps will work for you.

Once again, THANK YOU so much for all of your help! I truly appreciate it.

Debbie
                            • 41. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                              I did try installing an IDM server without connecting to the Internet, I succeeded to do that, however at the moment of running the IDM installer, it required the following packages:

1) gcc-4.1.0-28.4
                              2) gcc-c++-4.1.0-28.4
                              3) libstdc++-devel-4.1.0-28.4

After trying to install these packages, I ran into more dependencies:
                              4) glibc-devel-2.2.90-12, glibc-headers, kernel-headers
                              5) libgomp-4.1.2-44.el5

I stopped trying to install all these packages because since you did not mention them, then it'd mean that the RHEL 5.3 VM that you get from the lab is pre-installed clone or something like that, you need to find out what options were used during the installation... I remember that during my first install of the server where everything works fine, I selected Development options when the installer asked me, this second time I did not select that option... this might have installed all of these packages that now are missing...

On the bright side, the glibc-common-2.5-34-i386 is installed and not the one that I had, the one that I think is making the difference.. so I could test with that..

Since I ran out of time today, I will continue tomorrow evening and I will wait for your installation details to see if I can replicate the problem that you're having.

On a side note, I do not mind continue helping you, but I think you should open a SR with Oracle so that they know that there are problems with RHEL 5.1 and RHEL 5.3.... let them also know that I suspect the problem might be related to the glibc-common-2.5-34-i386 library that you have in your system and that with the one on mine (glibc-common-2.5-34.el5_3.1.i386) things work fine... they will probably ask you to generate a trace file on your opmn executable and then they will have the developers take a look at the trace and figure out what library is causing the problem.

h2. UPDATE
                              Basically what I need in order to complete the install are the steps taken by your VMware administrator to install RHEL 5.3 ...
                              I know you do not think the problem are the packages but I have a theory now that I see all these dependencies of the packages, the reason in your installation you are having problems with both RHEL 5.1 and RHEL 5.3 is the lack of a patched OS ... this lack of connectivity to the internet is causing your server to be out-of-date with regards to these packages, the ones that come with the installer might have been already replaced by new ones that you get once the server is connected to RHN. I know that the servers in the lab are not prod servers but to ask your VMware administrator to give your an installation of RHEL fully patched at the moment of installation will probably make a big difference in future installations.

Edited by: Rodolfo Ferrari on Aug 25, 2009 7:01 AM
                              • 42. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                                Rodolfo -- My administrator said that he installed 32-bit RHEL ES 5.3 with the defaults. Here is the auto-installer config file that was generated by the installation:
                                # Kickstart file automatically generated by anaconda.

install
                                cdrom
                                key --skip
                                lang en_US.UTF-8
                                keyboard us
                                xconfig --startxonboot
                                network --device eth0 --bootproto dhcp
                                rootpw password
                                firewall --enabled --port=22:tcp
                                authconfig --enableshadow --enablemd5
                                selinux --enforcing
                                timezone --utc America/New_York
                                bootloader --location=mbr --driveorder=sda --append="rhgb quiet"
                                # The following is the partition information you requested
                                # Note that any partitions you deleted are not expressed
                                # here so unless you clear all partitions first, this is
                                # not guaranteed to work
                                #clearpart --linux --drives=sda
                                #part /boot --fstype ext3 --size=100 --ondisk=sda
                                #part pv.2 --size=0 --grow --ondisk=sda
                                #volgroup VolGroup00 --pesize=32768 pv.2
                                #logvol / --fstype ext3 --name=LogVol00 --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=1024 --grow
                                #logvol swap --fstype swap --name=LogVol01 --vgname=VolGroup00 --size=512 --grow --maxsize=1024

%packages
                                @office
                                @development-libs
                                @editors
                                @gnome-software-development
                                @text-internet
                                @x-software-development
                                @gnome-desktop
                                @dialup
                                @core
                                @base
                                @games
                                @java
                                @legacy-software-support
                                @base-x
                                @graphics
                                @printing
                                @sound-and-video
                                @admin-tools
                                @development-tools
                                @graphical-internet
                                emacs
                                mesa-libGLU-devel
                                kexec-tools
                                fipscheck
                                device-mapper-multipath
                                xorg-x11-utils
                                xorg-x11-server-Xnest
                                xorg-x11-server-Xvfb
                                libsane-hpaio
                                imake
                                -sendmail
                                Hopefully, this will give you all of the information that you need. If not, let me know, and I will go back to my administrator.

I have also asked my administrator if he could make a RHEL 5.3 available in VMware Lab Manager which has the latest security updates. If he does so, I will be sure to retry my installation and then post the results.

Once again, THANK YOU for all of your help!
                                • 43. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                                  I also installed RHEL 5.3 with the defaults and I was missing libraries, going over the installer-config I can see that he used DHCP for the nextwork (which is true that's a default) and in the other part that he installed the development libraries, (Development options and Web Server are unchecked by default, so he had to manually select them. he probably does not remember) ... I will select the development libraries this time and will rebuild the server from scratch again ... I am pretty sure this time the IDM config is going to crash.

I will update the thread in the evening after I finished installing the server.

PS: Yesterday, I vaguely seem to remember that I might have manually installed the glibc-common library when the 11g db client complained about packages... however I am not completely sure, we will find out tonight, the good thing of being connected to the internet is that when you search for glibc-common it shows you the ones available in RHN, so it might have been just a click and the library got installed without problems. But when you are disconnected from the internet it is a painful experience trying to manually resolve the dependencies, I understand why you do not want to go that way.... but you might have to or will have to ask your Administrator to pre-install the library in question and all of its dependencies...
                                  • 44. Re: Configuring Identity Management Components - Error in starting opmn ser
                                    I have bad news, the configuration once again worked for me, so it is not the package .... there are a few things that I did different without realizing, maybe you can do them as well to see if it makes a difference.

1) When changing the limits.conf file I also changed the /etc/pam.d/login file, added the following line

session required pam_limits.so

2) When copying and unzipping the ofm_idm zip file I used the oracle user instead of root

NOTE:
                                    I will try one more installation following strictly your instructions, I will update the thread later in the evening...
                                    1 person found this helpful