1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2011 4:40 PM by user637881

Shared Services Java API

GhostWarrior
      Hello All

I am new to connecting to Shared Services and Im looking for some help on how to create an java API to connect and maintain users / groups in shared services.

We are using version 11.1.1.2 and I have found API documentation, however it is not clear what I actually need to make a connection. I have the samples from the documentation to work with the API calls however it assumes you know how to connect or already have.

Keep in mind this is not an Essbase connection but a connection directly to shared services.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Shared Services Java API
          JohnGoodwin
          Hi,

There is an example of how to authenticate which I am sure you have seen ? [AuthenticateSample.java|http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E12825_01/epm.111/epm_security_api/sampleApps/AuthenticateSample.java]

This extends the [Sample class |http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E12825_01/epm.111/epm_security_api/sampleApps/Sample.java] which you need as a base class,

If you are new then just use the sample class and then extend it, there are other examples and the JavaDocs included in the help.

Cheers

John
          http://john-goodwin.blogspot.com/
          • 2. Re: Shared Services Java API
            GhostWarrior
            Thanks for the prompt response, however I have another question concerning connecting. I am using the 2 sample classes you pointed me to. My question is the system = CSSSystem.getInstance(context, "C://Hyperion/logs"); line. Am I correct in thinking that the url / directory should be pointing where the server is installed and not my local desktop? Does anyone know the proper entry?

Thanks again for your help
            • 3. Re: Shared Services Java API
              JohnGoodwin
              Hi,

It should be the location on the machine where foundation services are installed.

Cheers

John
              http://john-goodwin.blogspot.com/
              • 4. Re: Shared Services Java API
                GhostWarrior
                John -

Im not sure I have everything I need installed on my local desktop which is where Im developing the API. I currently have the foundation ( SmartView ), Essbase and Interactive Reporting.

Do I need anything else?
                • 5. Re: Shared Services Java API
                  GhostWarrior
                  Okay maybe someone can answer this question, I installed shared services locally and Im getting the following error. My initial guess is I have to configure my local desktop to talk to shared services using the configuration tool.

Any suggestions?

Initializing CSS ...
                  log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (com.hyperion.css.common.CSSLogger).
                  log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
                  EXCEPTION DURING LOGGER CONFIGURATION. NO MESSAGES WILL BE LOGGED IN REGISTRY.LOG
                  EXCEPTION DURING LOGGER CONFIGURATION. NO MESSAGES WILL BE LOGGED IN REGISTRY.LOG

Error Code: 9
                  com.hyperion.css.common.configuration.CSSConfigurationException: 20:1092:Failed to initialize EPM System registry.      Error Code: 9
                  NestedException:
                  com.hyperion.hit.registry.exceptions.RegistryException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Hyperion\logs\common\config\9.5.0.0\reg.properties (The system cannot find the path specified)
                       at com.hyperion.css.registry.RegistryManager.<init>(Unknown Source)
                       at com.hyperion.css.registry.RegistryManager.getInstance(Unknown Source)
                       at com.hyperion.css.common.configuration.CSSXMLUtils.<init>(Unknown Source)
                       at com.hyperion.css.common.configuration.CSSConfigurationManager.getConfiguration(Unknown Source)
                       at com.hyperion.css.CSSSystem.initCSSSystem(Unknown Source)
                       at com.hyperion.css.CSSSystem.getInstance(Unknown Source)
                       at Sample.initialize(Sample.java:50)
                       at Sample.<init>(Sample.java:33)
                       at AuthenticateSample.<init>(AuthenticateSample.java:15)
                       at AuthenticateSample.main(AuthenticateSample.java:29)

- Nested Exception:

com.hyperion.hit.registry.exceptions.RegistryException: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Hyperion\logs\common\config\9.5.0.0\reg.properties (The system cannot find the path specified)
                       at com.hyperion.hit.registry.RegistryUtils.createNewConnection(RegistryUtils.java:148)
                       at com.hyperion.hit.registry.RegistryConnection.getInstance(RegistryConnection.java:143)
                       at com.hyperion.hit.registry.Registry.getInstance(Registry.java:155)
                       at com.hyperion.css.registry.RegistryManager.<init>(Unknown Source)
                       at com.hyperion.css.registry.RegistryManager.getInstance(Unknown Source)
                       at com.hyperion.css.common.configuration.CSSXMLUtils.<init>(Unknown Source)
                       at com.hyperion.css.common.configuration.CSSConfigurationManager.getConfiguration(Unknown Source)
                       at com.hyperion.css.CSSSystem.initCSSSystem(Unknown Source)
                       at com.hyperion.css.CSSSystem.getInstance(Unknown Source)
                       at Sample.initialize(Sample.java:50)
                       at Sample.<init>(Sample.java:33)
                       at AuthenticateSample.<init>(AuthenticateSample.java:15)
                       at AuthenticateSample.main(AuthenticateSample.java:29)
                  Caused by: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Hyperion\logs\common\config\9.5.0.0\reg.properties (The system cannot find the path specified)
                       at java.io.FileInputStream.open(Native Method)
                       at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(Unknown Source)
                       at com.hyperion.hit.registry.RegistryUtils.createNewConnection(RegistryUtils.java:141)
                       ... 12 more
                  Main methods:
                  Authenticating admin ...
                  Authenticating user: admin
                  java.lang.NullPointerException
                       at AuthenticateSample.authenticate(AuthenticateSample.java:65)
                       at AuthenticateSample.main(AuthenticateSample.java:34)
                  java.lang.NullPointerException
                       at Sample.shutdown(Sample.java:78)
                       at AuthenticateSample.main(AuthenticateSample.java:50)
                  • 6. Re: Shared Services Java API
                    Hi

I am facing the the similar issue while using this API. Did you find a solution for this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
                    • 7. Re: Shared Services Java API
                      Geouffrey
                      Hi,

I'm not sure if you managed to get this resolved. I'm using the CSS API in 11.1.1.3 to connect to shared services and it is working well. I'm not running shared services locally but rather connecting to our shared services server. This is how I managed to connect to the API.

Code:
                                     context = new Hashtable();
                                     URL url = new URL("http://xxx_shared_services_server:xxx_sharedServices_port/interop/framework/getCSSConfigFile");
                                     system = CSSSystem.getInstance(context, url, "C:/Hyperion/logs");
                                     cssAPI = system.getCSSAPI();
                                     cssDMAPI = cssAPI.getDirectoryManagementAPI(new HashMap());
                                     cssUPAPI = cssAPI.getUserProvisioningAPI(new HashMap());

Let me know if you need any help setting this up.

Regards,
                      Geouffrey
                      • 8. Re: Shared Services Java API
                        pr921
                        can get past this line....do not know why,

system = CSSSystem.getInstance(context, url, "C:/Hyperion/logs");

when I put "http://xxx_shared_services_server:xxx_sharedServices_port/interop/framework/getCSSConfigFile" in the browser it brings back the config file from my Shared Services server...

Thanks...
                        • 9. Re: Shared Services Java API
                          I am using http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E12825_01/epm.111/epm_security_api/frameset.htm?launch.html as a reference

To run these programs, you must meet the following prerequisites:

Oracle's Hyperion® Shared Services is running.

Common Security Services client archive is installed.

The location of HYPERION_HOME is passed as a JVM argument; for example, java -DHYPERION_HOME=C:\Hyperion Sample

All required classpaths are set.

To the best of my knowledge all of these are satisfied. I am not sure what the CSS client archive is in reference to. I assume css.jar, which is copied into my java project's classpath. I am also passing the HYPERION_HOME

I too fail on initializing the shared services API. I am using essbase 11.1.2, not 9.3.1 so i'm not sure what log directory to point to with the new EPM System directory structure. currently trying: C:\Oracle\Middleware\EPMSystem11R1\logs

My shared services admin console is running at
                          http://xxx.xxx.xxx:19000/interop and i can get to it just fine

However, when i try to hit the URI for the config at:
                          http://xxx.xxx.xxx:19000/interop/framework/getCSSConfigFile i get a 500 error. Is this URL different for 11.1.2?

I also thought that it might be used as a parameter in the essbase.cfg, but the line i expected to see it on does not have it:

(essbase.cfg)
                          AuthenticationModule CSS

Additionally, shared services is running on a remote server and i am developing on my workstation. I have the css.jar copied locally in my eclipse project. I do have foundation services installed locally on my workstation as it was necessary when installing the client software. All of those environment variables are properly set and the client apps work fine.

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: oracle/core/ojdl/logging/ODLLogger
                               at com.hyperion.css.CSSSystem.<clinit>(CSSSystem.java:156)
                               at com.hca.essbase.SharedServicesTest.sharedServicesConnectionTest(SharedServicesTest.java:29)
                               at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
                               at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
                               at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
                               at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
                               at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod$1.runReflectiveCall(FrameworkMethod.java:44)
                               at org.junit.internal.runners.model.ReflectiveCallable.run(ReflectiveCallable.java:15)
                               at org.junit.runners.model.FrameworkMethod.invokeExplosively(FrameworkMethod.java:41)
                               at org.junit.internal.runners.statements.InvokeMethod.evaluate(InvokeMethod.java:20)
                               at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:76)
                               at org.junit.runners.BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.runChild(BlockJUnit4ClassRunner.java:50)
                               at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$3.run(ParentRunner.java:193)
                               at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$1.schedule(ParentRunner.java:52)
                               at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.runChildren(ParentRunner.java:191)
                               at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.access$000(ParentRunner.java:42)
                               at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner$2.evaluate(ParentRunner.java:184)
                               at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.java:236)
                               at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestReference.run(JUnit4TestReference.java:49)
                               at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.TestExecution.run(TestExecution.java:38)
                               at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:467)
                               at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:683)
                               at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.run(RemoteTestRunner.java:390)
                               at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.main(RemoteTestRunner.java:197)
                          Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: oracle.core.ojdl.logging.ODLLogger
                               at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:202)
                               at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
                               at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:190)
                               at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:307)
                               at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:301)
                               at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:248)
                               ... 24 more

Tips are greatly appreciated.

Edited by: 818484 on Dec 6, 2010 8:32 AM

Edited by: 818484 on Dec 6, 2010 9:00 AM

Edited by: 818484 on Dec 6, 2010 10:02 AM
                          • 10. Re: Shared Services Java API
                            Have you been able to update and use the 11.1.2 Shared Services API? The directory paths are different and I am not sure what to point them to. Also, did you have to install and configure shared services locally (but not run)?
                            • 11. Re: Shared Services Java API
                              I was able to export a CSSConfig.xml file from shared services and store it locally. I used a file URL to point to it in the code. Additionally, i added a bunch of jars manually (copied) to the classpath and seem to be a little bit further along. This does not seem right to me since it is about as far from intuitive as you can get. Anyway, here is a new stack trace.

I think the next clue to chase down is the line that reads: Oracle Instance is not defined. It has to be passed as a system argument.
                              However, i output the System.getProperty("HYPERION_HOME") as a sanity check, visible in the log output.

[2010-12-07 10:07:49][SharedServicesTest][INFO] - blah
                              [2010-12-07 10:07:49][SharedServicesTest][INFO] - HYPERION_HOME=C:/Oracle/Middleware/EPMSystem11R1
                              [2010-12-07 10:07:49][SharedServicesTest][INFO] - [USERPROFILE, USERDNSDOMAIN, PATHEXT, JAVA_HOME, ESSBASEPATH, TEMP, SystemDrive, ProgramFiles, Path, HOMEDRIVE, PROCESSOR_REVISION, ESSLANG, =C:, USERDOMAIN, UATDATA, ALLUSERSPROFILE, ARBORPATH, EPM_ORACLE_HOME, PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER, RoxioCentral, SESSIONNAME, EAS_HOME, TMP, CommonProgramFiles, LOGONSERVER, PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE, FP_NO_HOST_CHECK, OS, HOMEPATH, PROMPT, PROCESSOR_LEVEL, ANT_HOME, HYPERION_HOME, COMPUTERNAME, windir, SystemRoot, EMC_AUTOPLAY, NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS, USERNAME, ComSpec, APPDATA]
                              Oracle Instance is not defined. It has to be passed as a system argument.
                              Dec 7, 2010 10:07:49 AM com.hyperion.hit.registry.RegistryUtils readDatabaseProperties
                              INFO: The file reg.properties could not be found.
                              Dec 7, 2010 10:07:49 AM com.hyperion.hit.registry.RegistryUtils readDatabaseProperties
                              INFO: Security Key could not be read from reg.properties file.
                              Throwable caught
                              java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: oracle/security/jps/service/credstore/CredentialAlreadyExistsException
                                   at com.hyperion.hit.registry.RegistryUtils.readDatabaseProperties(RegistryUtils.java:334)
                                   at com.hyperion.hit.registry.RegistryUtils.createNewConnection(RegistryUtils.java:169)
                                   at com.hyperion.hit.registry.Registry.getConnection(Registry.java:152)
                                   at com.hyperion.hit.registry.Registry.lookupComponents(Registry.java:1263)
                                   at com.hyperion.hit.registry.Registry.lookup(Registry.java:517)
                                   at com.hyperion.css.registry.RegistryManager.<init>(RegistryManager.java:70)
                                   at com.hyperion.css.registry.RegistryManager.getInstance(RegistryManager.java:87)
                                   at com.hyperion.css.CSSSystemFactory.getCSSMode(CSSSystemFactory.java:100)
                                   at com.hyperion.css.CSSSystemFactory.getCSSSystem(CSSSystemFactory.java:71)
                                   at com.hyperion.css.CSSSystem.initCSSSystem(CSSSystem.java:334)
                                   at com.hyperion.css.CSSSystem.getInstance(CSSSystem.java:400)
                                   at SharedServicesTest.sharedServicesConnectionTest(SharedServicesTest.java:32)
                              Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: oracle.security.jps.service.credstore.CredentialAlreadyExistsException
                                   ... 32 more
                              Dec 7, 2010 10:07:49 AM com.hyperion.hit.registry.Registry getConnection
                              SEVERE: An error occured when checking the status of the registry connection and reseting it.
                              java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: oracle/security/jps/service/credstore/CredentialAlreadyExistsException
                                   at com.hyperion.hit.registry.RegistryUtils.readDatabaseProperties(RegistryUtils.java:334)
                                   at com.hyperion.hit.registry.RegistryUtils.createNewConnection(RegistryUtils.java:169)
                                   at com.hyperion.css.registry.RegistryManager.getInstance(RegistryManager.java:87)
                              Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: oracle.security.jps.service.credstore.CredentialAlreadyExistsException
                                   ... 32 more
                              Dec 7, 2010 10:07:49 AM com.hyperion.hit.registry.Registry lookupComponents
                              SEVERE: An exception when looking up components of type SYSTEM9 matching the specified properties.
                              SEVERE: Exception occurred.
                              com.hyperion.hit.registry.exceptions.RegistryException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: oracle/security/jps/service/credstore/CredentialAlreadyExistsException
                                   at com.hyperion.hit.registry.Registry.getConnection(Registry.java:178)
                              Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: oracle/security/jps/service/credstore/CredentialAlreadyExistsException
                                   ... 29 more
                                   ... 32 more
                              Throwable caught
                                   at com.hyperion.css.registry.RegistryManager.getCSSMode(RegistryManager.java:298)
                                   at com.hyperion.css.CSSSystemFactory.getCSSMode(CSSSystemFactory.java:101)
                                   ... 31 more
                              Dec 7, 2010 10:07:49 AM com.hyperion.hit.registry.Registry getConnection
                              SEVERE: An error occured when checking the status of the registry connection and reseting it.
                                   at com.hyperion.css.registry.RegistryManager.getCSSMode(RegistryManager.java:298)
                                   ... 31 more
                              SEVERE: An exception when looking up components of type SYSTEM9 matching the specified properties.
                              com.hyperion.hit.registry.exceptions.RegistryException: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: oracle/security/jps/service/credstore/CredentialAlreadyExistsException
                              Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: oracle/security/jps/service/credstore/CredentialAlreadyExistsException
                                   ... 28 more
                                   ... 31 more
                              Dec 7, 2010 10:07:51 AM com.hyperion.hit.registry.RegistryUtils readDatabaseProperties
                              Throwable caught
                              Dec 7, 2010 10:07:51 AM com.hyperion.hit.registry.RegistryUtils readDatabaseProperties
                                   at com.hyperion.css.registry.RegistryManager.getDatabaseInfoFromRegistry(RegistryManager.java:321)
                                   at com.hyperion.css.spi.CSSManager.initStores(CSSManager.java:370)
                                   at com.hyperion.css.spi.CSSManager.initialize(CSSManager.java:222)
                                   at com.hyperion.css.spi.CSSManager.<init>(CSSManager.java:211)
                                   at com.hyperion.css.spi.CSSManager.getInstance(CSSManager.java:192)
                                   at com.hyperion.css.EPMSystem.getInstance(EPMSystem.java:116)
                                   at com.hyperion.css.CSSSystemFactory.getCSSSystem(CSSSystemFactory.java:73)
                                   ... 35 more
                              Dec 7, 2010 10:07:51 AM com.hyperion.hit.registry.Registry getConnection
                                   at com.hyperion.css.registry.RegistryManager.getDatabaseInfoFromRegistry(RegistryManager.java:321)
                                   ... 35 more
                              Dec 7, 2010 10:07:51 AM com.hyperion.hit.registry.Registry lookupComponents
                              Dec 7, 2010 10:07:51 AM com.hyperion.hit.registry.Registry lookupComponents
                                   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
                                   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
                                   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
                                   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
                                   at org.junit.internal.runners.TestMethodRunner.executeMethodBody(TestMethodRunner.java:99)
                                   at org.junit.internal.runners.TestMethodRunner.runUnprotected(TestMethodRunner.java:81)
                                   at org.junit.internal.runners.BeforeAndAfterRunner.runProtected(BeforeAndAfterRunner.java:34)
                                   at org.junit.internal.runners.TestMethodRunner.runMethod(TestMethodRunner.java:75)
                                   at org.junit.internal.runners.TestMethodRunner.run(TestMethodRunner.java:45)
                                   at org.junit.internal.runners.TestClassMethodsRunner.invokeTestMethod(TestClassMethodsRunner.java:71)
                                   at org.junit.internal.runners.TestClassMethodsRunner.run(TestClassMethodsRunner.java:35)
                                   at org.junit.internal.runners.TestClassRunner$1.runUnprotected(TestClassRunner.java:42)
                                   at org.junit.internal.runners.BeforeAndAfterRunner.runProtected(BeforeAndAfterRunner.java:34)
                                   at org.junit.internal.runners.TestClassRunner.run(TestClassRunner.java:52)
                                   at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit4.runner.JUnit4TestReference.run(JUnit4TestReference.java:49)
                                   at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.TestExecution.run(TestExecution.java:38)
                                   at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:467)
                                   at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.runTests(RemoteTestRunner.java:683)
                                   at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.run(RemoteTestRunner.java:390)
                                   at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.junit.runner.RemoteTestRunner.main(RemoteTestRunner.java:197)
                                   ... 32 more
                                   ... 35 more
                              Dec 7, 2010 10:07:51 AM (001)
                              SEVERE: EPMCSS-001051: Failed to initialize EPM Security. Database component is null in EPM System Registry.
                              Dec 7, 2010 10:07:51 AM com.hyperion.css.EPMSystem getInstance:127
                              SEVERE: EPMCSS-Arguments: param1={operationCodeKey=001}, param2=file:/C:/EssbaseToolResources/conf/CSSConfig.xml, param3=C:/Oracle/Middleware/EPMSystem11R1/logs,
                              Dec 7, 2010 10:07:51 AM
                              INFO: EPMCSS-CSS EPM system intialization failed. : [1588 ms]
                              Dec 7, 2010 10:07:51 AM com.hyperion.css.CSSSystem initCSSSystem:346
                              SEVERE: EPMCSS-Arguments: param1={operationCodeKey=001}, param2=file:/C:/EssbaseToolResources/conf/CSSConfig.xml, param3=C:/Oracle/Middleware/EPMSystem11R1/logs,
                              Dec 7, 2010 10:07:51 AM
                              INFO: EPMCSS-CSS system intialization failed. : [1682 ms]
                              • 12. Got CSS api working
                                I finally got the API to initialize for version 11.1.2. My troubleshooting process was convoluted and after arriving at my solution, there is absolutely no way one could use this API simply by piecing together the scattered documentation from Oracle.

Most of you are probably using 11.1.1.x. The jump to 11.1.2 seems to have changed many things. I was clued in by this blog post:

http://john-goodwin.blogspot.com/2010/01/epm-version-11-what-property-files.html

After this read, i was convinced that the documentation was out of date and set out on a decompiling rampage to get this API to work. I will try to make a forum post to help anyone out after confirming that my method does indeed function.
                                • 13. Re: Got CSS api working
                                  pr921
                                  I think it we can answer what needs to be in the HashMap(context) before this line executes we would have our answer,

system = CSSSystem.getInstance(context, url, logPath);
                                  • 14. Re: Got CSS api working
                                    This is not so. See my post: Shared Service API Working 11.1.2
                                    1 2 Previous Next