9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2009 10:30 AM by Santosh Kumar RSS

10g Db migrate from HP-UX to Linux

Hi Gurus,

I want to migrate the 10g Application Server Database from HP-UX to Linux.

Please can any one guide me the easiest way to achieve this.

Some doubts

Will simple full DB exp/imp will work? or transport tablespace?

Thanks in advance
        • 1. Re: 10g Db migrate from HP-UX to Linux
          Anand...
          HI..

You can use number of methods, i would suggest you can use any one from these 2 :-

1. Rman Convert Database -- Refer to metalink Doc ID: 414878.1

2. EXPDP/IMPDP of the application schemas.

HTH
          Anand
          • 2. Re: 10g Db migrate from HP-UX to Linux
            Santosh Kumar
            You need to mention your 4 digit database version.

As Anand has mentioned the metalink note, but that is only for 10gR2. On top of that metalink note content itself is slightly confusing:

Firstly it says,
            Applies to:
            Oracle Server - Enterprise Edition - Version: 10.2.0.2
            and then on forth point it says,
            4) The Source and the target database version must be equal / greater than 10.2.0. version (So even 10.2.0.1 is also included)

Apart from this method, use of logical backup for migration seems more easy and trusted (Since we're doing from long back).

N.B. We're just talking about migration of database and not about migration of application server which will need different expertise.

Regards,
            S.K.
            • 3. Re: 10g Db migrate from HP-UX to Linux
              Nicolas.Gasparotto
              Santosh Kumar wrote:
              Firstly it says,
              Applies to:
              Oracle Server - Enterprise Edition - Version: 10.2.0.2
              and then on forth point it says,
              4) The Source and the target database version must be equal / greater than 10.2.0. version (So even 10.2.0.1 is also included)
              The database convert work from 10.2 onward and no need this metalink note, the doc is clear engouh :
              http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/dbxptrn.htm#CHDEFAEE
              Apart from this method, use of logical backup for migration seems more easy and trusted (Since we're doing from long back).
              Database convert, if it is working, is the easiest way to migrate a db accross plateform, no need to create a new db and so on. And if it is working fine even it is only not older than a 10g feature.

Unfortunately, the previous suggested method (database convert) is possible only between two plateform with same endian.
              AFAIK, HPUX is big endian whereas most of the Linux are little, that means convert database is not an option.
              You still have transportable tablespace (accross different OS/endian)
              http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14231/tspaces.htm#sthref1287
              and expdp/impdp.

Nicolas.
              • 4. Re: 10g Db migrate from HP-UX to Linux
                Objects with underlying objects (such as materialized views) or contained objects (such as partitioned tables) are not transportable unless all of the underlying or contained objects are in the tablespace set.

Can any one clarify this one.

Case:
                1. Tablespace ora_data_99, ora_data_00 , ora_data_01
                if I have a partitioned table that spans across these three tablespaces do they have to be transported as a set ?

2. What happens if I take only ora_data_99 would the table /partition be created or the whole thing would error out?
                • 5. Re: 10g Db migrate from HP-UX to Linux
                  Nicolas.Gasparotto
                  Objects with underlying objects (such as materialized views) or contained objects (such as partitioned tables) are not transportable unless all of the underlying or contained objects are in the tablespace set.
                  This is one of the limitations of transportable tablespace, documented in the doc I linked earlier. There are other, and of course, the OP is invited to check the doc.

Moreover, the question from the OP was about all the database transport, not just a part of the database, but again, the doc I linked earlier is self-explanatory :
                  "+A partitioned table is partially contained in the set of tablespaces.+
                  +The tablespace set you want to copy must contain either all partitions of a partitioned table, or none of the partitions of a partitioned table. If you want to transport a subset of a partition table, you must exchange the partitions into tables.+"

You should read carefully the doc, there are many examples. And of course, it is easy to test to check if the doc is right.

Nicolas.
                  • 6. Re: 10g Db migrate from HP-UX to Linux
                    Santosh Kumar
                    Thanks Nicolas for making things clear.

The OP has not mentioned the 10g version(bit version) and as far as I remember 10g application server database has 10gR1 database(Perhaps 10.1.0.4), if he has not upgraded the setup.

Yes, it's somehow comfort level. I do the cross-platform migration work using logical backups, not tried the new convert method. It feels easy to take export, transfer the dump to another server and import in the database of another server. But I need to test the time factor in both the cases.

Have you found the convert method faster than expdp/impdp or exp/imp?

With best regards,
                    S.K.
                    • 7. Re: 10g Db migrate from HP-UX to Linux
                      Nicolas.Gasparotto
                      The database convert is easier because you don't have to create the target database. You don't have to be worried about the grants, files size and so on. Your db will be exactly the same as the source.
                      And yes, it is faster, depending of :
                      1. your CPU and I/O to convert, on one of my dev server, with a parallel level 6 (better to have Oracle 10.2.0.4 and above to workaround some annoying bugs about parallelism and database convert) => 1 hour for 250Gb of datafiles (tempfiles are not converted)
                      2. your network speed to copy the files onto the new server (you can find some fast way for this, i.e. gzip and gunzip through a ssh tunnel), again on my test server, about 2 hours for 200Gb.

The same migration with export/import takes around 20 hours (without taking in account the time of the target database creation...).

Nicolas.
                      • 8. Re: 10g Db migrate from HP-UX to Linux
                        Santosh Kumar
                        Thanks Nicolas for sharing your experience.
                        • 9. Re: 10g Db migrate from HP-UX to Linux
                          Anand...
                          1 hour for 250Gb of datafiles.
                          export/import takes around 20 hours >

Thats cool :).. Saving so much of time...

Anand