9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2010 3:17 PM by 701653 RSS

x32 client for Windows 7 x64, 10g R2.

Hi!

Has anyone tried to install full Oracle client x32 for x64 Windows 7? I successfully installed an x64 client, but x64 clients are not compatible with x32 IDE's like PL/SQL Developer.
      When I try to run x32 installation and click "Next" in the first window of the installation wizard - the program just disappears. Once I got Windows reporting that installation program was not properly installed - and that's all.

Are there any compatible clients for Win 7 x64, 10g R2?
        • 1. Re: x32 client for Windows 7 x64, 10g R2.
          SatishKandi
          http://www.oracle.com/technology/support/metalink/index.html

indicates the certification of 11gR2 against Windows 7 is "Projected" (which means as of now, it is not certified).

There is no information about 10g with Windows 7.
          • 2. Re: x32 client for Windows 7 x64, 10g R2.
            sybrand_b
            I would ask myself the following questions

- when was Windows 7 released
            - when was Oracle 10gR2 released
            - has Windows been ever 100 percent downwards compatible
            - will Oracle certify 10gR2 for Windows 7 (I seem to remember the answer is NO and only 11gR1 will be certified)

- will there ever be a 10gR2 Windows 7 client. Likely not!

For this type of question the best procedure is to visit the downloads section of OTN.
            NOT to ask here!

--------------
            Sybrand Bakker
            Senior Oracle DBA
            • 3. Re: x32 client for Windows 7 x64, 10g R2.
              Charles Hooper
              The Oracle 11.1.0.6 32 bit client will install on 64 bit Windows 7, and is able to connect to an Oracle 10.2.0.x database.

While I have not tried it, you might be able to run the 10.2.0.3 client installer in 32 bit Vista or 32 bit XP compatibility mode, and then patch the client to 10.2.0.4. To install in compatibility mode, the Oracle client installer must reside on the local hard drive.

I suggest that you avoid installing the 32 bit client into the Program Files folder. You will likely also need to make certain that the bin folder for the 32 bit client appears in the system path before the bin folder for the 64 bit client.

Charles Hooper
              IT Manager/Oracle DBA
              K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.
              • 4. Re: x32 client for Windows 7 x64, 10g R2.
                Thank you for replies. Will try 11.6 x32 client.
                • 5. Re: x32 client for Windows 7 x64, 10g R2.
                  Tried x32 11G R1 11.07 clinet - still the same: process javaw.exe disappears from the task manager and the whole installation process fails. I assume, it's lousy Oracle VM that is incompatible with windows 7.

Edited by: user7292826 on 31.08.2009 23:59
                  • 6. Re: x32 client for Windows 7 x64, 10g R2.
                    Charles Hooper
                    Interesting. I wonder if the installer is finding the 64 bit version of Java due to the computer's system path? You might try editing the system path variable to remove all entries related to 64 bit Oracle, reboot, and then try the install again (you might also need to remove the Oracle folder from the Program Files and/or Program Files (x86) folder and the Oracle entries in the Windows registry). I opened a Windows 7 command prompt on 64 bit Windows 7, and then started SQL*Plus - this is what it looks like:
                    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7100]
                    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\hooper>sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 11.1.0.6.0 - Production on Tue Sep 1 06:27:44 2009

Copyright (c) 1982, 2007, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
                    The Windows version indicates that this is Windows 7 RC, and the Oracle release version indicates 11.1.0.6. I first installed the 64 bit client on this computer that was designed for Windows 2008 Server, and I seem to recall having a bit of trouble recovering from that.

Charles Hooper
                    IT Manager/Oracle DBA
                    K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.
                    • 7. Re: x32 client for Windows 7 x64, 10g R2.
                      Charles Hooper , thank you! That was almost exactly my case. After uninstallation of x64 client all temp files and settings should be removed. And only after reboot installation process seems working fine.

Edited by: user7292826 on 02.09.2009 6:43
                      • 8. Re: x32 client for Windows 7 x64, 10g R2.
                        Dear Charles,

I have successfully installed Oracle Client 11g R2 in my lapy. Though I am able to install plsql developer 11g, t doesn't work and shows something like
                        Initialisation error. Could not initialise "C:\app\Arun\product\11.2.0\client_1\bin\oci.dll" Make sure you have the 32 bit Oracle Client installed.

Could you please suggest me something as 32 bit client is not supported on my laptop. It is having windows 7 version 6.1.

Many Thanks,
                        Arun
                        email: saark.hearty@gmail.com
                        • 9. Re: x32 client for Windows 7 x64, 10g R2.
                          Eureka....

I got it . My problem is resolved.

I think it might be helpfull for some of you who are frustrated having Windows 7(64 bit) and not able to install Pl/Sql developer 11g on your sys.(N.B.-- It may work for 10g as well.)

1. Download Oracle Client 11g R2 for 32 bit(not 64bit).
                          2. Install it (Choose Administrator as option if you want to connect a remote database)
                          3. Once client installation is successfull then install PL/SQL developer 11 g (Installation sequence doesnot matter).
                          4. Edit the tnsnames.ora as per ur need.
                          5. Open the developer and see, U are all set to use it.

Thanks....
                          Best of luck....
                          email: saark.hearty@gmail.com