6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2009 4:00 AM by Sandeep Gandhi, Consultant

Does system track the costs differently for item revisions?

Hello

Does anyone know If the system Tracks the avg costs for all revisions of a particular item seperately

like we have items with four standard revisions
      New
      Old
      Scrap
      Imported

Now all of them have unique costs.If system does not track seperate costs for all these revisions than its a problem as scrap, old , and new cant be issue at same costs.it would mis lead us on consumption and expenses and many other effects too

Please advice
        • 1. Re: Does system track the costs differently for item revisions?
          Sandeep Gandhi, Consultant
          Oracle does not track costs by revisions. You will see that cst_item_costs does not have a revision column.
          I am not sure if you have setup revisioning correctly.

New, Old, Imported may not be good candidates for revision. And scrap is more like a disposition than a revision.
          If you want to enter different costs for different transactions, you should use avg. costing.

Hope this answers your question
          Sandeep Gandhi
          Independent Consultant
          513-325-9026
          • 2. Re: Does system track the costs differently for item revisions?
            Sandeep Gandhi, Independent Consultant wrote:
            Oracle does not track costs by revisions. You will see that cst_item_costs does not have a revision column.
            I am not sure if you have setup revisioning correctly.
            What is the main purpose of revisioning
            As far as i understand it its like you have an item with different colors.So you open up one item code rather than opening a new code for every color of same item and then open revisions for all colors you have.In this examples i will take three colors blue , red and white.So there are three revisions, all active and we transact in all revisions as needed

Is my understanding right?
            Please advice
            >
            New, Old, Imported may not be good candidates for revision. And scrap is more like a disposition than a revision.
            If you want to enter different costs for different transactions, you should use avg. costing.
            We are using avg costing in all our ORG`s and system uses avg cost automatically on all transactions for which we dont provide costs manually
            • 3. Re: Does system track the costs differently for item revisions?
              There are no hard-n-fast rules regarding revs.
              Rule of thumb is that you use a different item number if the parts differ in form, fit or function.
              So same part with differeent colors, you would typically have a different item number.

Revisions are used to track minor changes to the same item - e.g. if you purchased a connector with regular tips. But a better one has come out with jagged teeth (for better grip). If both connectors can be used in place of one another, you may rev. up the existing item instead of creating a new one.
              Sandeep Gandhi
              Independent Consultant
              513-325-9026
              • 4. Re: Does system track the costs differently for item revisions?
                Sandeep Gandhi, Independent Consultant wrote:
                There are no hard-n-fast rules regarding revs.
                Rule of thumb is that you use a different item number if the parts differ in form, fit or function.
                So same part with differeent colors, you would typically have a different item number.

Revisions are used to track minor changes to the same item - e.g. if you purchased a connector with regular tips. But a better one has come out with jagged teeth (for better grip). If both connectors can be used in place of one another, you may rev. up the existing item instead of creating a new one.
                but suppose if these minor changes have a price difference of more than 5% or watever threshold u set, u should open up a new item code rather than a revision as the avg cost is maintained on item-level and it wont take into account the revisions thus consumption and reports would be effected plus the avg cost would be disturbed and turn fake later on

am i right
                • 5. Re: Does system track the costs differently for item revisions?
                  i forgot to ask you this

we can open unlimited revisions for an item

can all be active at the same time and we do transactions on all of them as needed.
                  Someone told me tht you have to inactive the previous one by entering an end date and than open up a new one

how true is that
                  • 6. Re: Does system track the costs differently for item revisions?
                    All can be active at the same time.
                    However, you can transact them by revision only if the "revision control" attribute on the item master is set.
                    If it is not set, Oracle treats all revisions as the same item.

Sandeep Gandhi
                    Independent Consultant
                    513-325-9026