1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 3:51 AM by Hans Forbrich

11gR2 Installation Problem

Girish Sharma
      Hello,

I am having 10.2.0.1 on RHEL 4 running fine with oracle user login. I downloaded 2 zip files for 11gR2 from http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/index.html link and then unzip in two folders i.e. database1 and database2. Then login as oracle user and issued following commands:

1.Created one folder in /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0
      2.ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_BASE/product/11.2.0/db_1;export ORACLE_HOME
      3.ORACLE_SID=ORCL11;export ORACLE_SID
      4.PATH=/usr/sbin:$PATH;export PATH
      5.PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH;export PATH
      6.cd/database1 folder (where runInstaller file is existing)
      7../runInstaller

I am getting following errors:
      ./runInstaller: line 135: [: too many arguments
      ./runInstaller: line 139: /u01/installer/11gR2: No such file or directory.

Please help me to install 11gR2 on existing setup of 10.2.0.1 in RHEL-4.

Thanks & Regards
      Girish Sharma

Edited by: Girish Sharma on Sep 4, 2009 9:39 AM
        • 1. Re: 11gR2 Installation Problem
          Aman....
          Its not really that simple as 10g installation is. I would recommend to do a clean install of 11g R2 using this guide,
          http://askdba.org/weblog/2009/09/11gr2-database-installation-with-asm-on-oel5/

HTH
          Aman....
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 11gR2 Installation Problem
            Girish Sharma
            Thank you Aman for valuable link. I just want to confirm that "clean install" means will it not work on existing setup of 10g or which new steps/commands i have to do; because the link is for a fresh installation; so i am confused how existing setup for 10g and 11g should be mixed up.

Regards
            Girish Sharma
            • 3. Re: 11gR2 Installation Problem
              Aman....
              As we discussed yesterday as well, you can do it very well and there is no such thing 11g won't work with 10g. I mentioned "clean install" just to make sure that you get yourself familiar with 11g install first before getting it mixed with 10g. All you need is a seperate home for 11g. But as there are changes with 11g install, I has mentioned to do it standalone first that's all.

HTH
              Aman....
              • 4. Re: 11gR2 Installation Problem
                Girish Sharma
                Your suggestations are always useful as this time also; but issue is i am not having any extra machine on which linux is running and without any oracle version. Definitely i will try to get a fresh installation on a machine, but what i anticipated that if it could possible to install 11gR2 alongwith existing setup of 10g and/or 9i; then I could start learning 11g or how it looks like("Darshan"), something like that.

For those who do'nt know hindi (Indian Language)
                "Darshan" means a view, a look on a thing. Its a Indian word...!

Regards
                Girish Sharma
                • 5. Re: 11gR2 Installation Problem
                  Aman....
                  There is no need to go ahead with a seperate machine. Surely with 10g or any other version, 11g can be installed. I have not done the install of 11gR2 myself yet but have done it with 11gr1 with 10g running so it should not be of any issue. I would suggest to have a reread of install guide of it and just see if you are missing some thing obvious or not?

HTH
                  Aman....
                  • 6. Re: 11gR2 Installation Problem
                    Nicolas.Gasparotto
                    Please help me to install 11gR2 on existing setup of 10.2.0.1 in RHEL-4.
                    What RHEL4 update ? According to the documentation, the minimum required is RHEL4 update 7.

Did you set ORACLE_BASE env variable ?

Anyway, you should follow the official install doc, especially the pre-installation tasks :
                    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e10840/pre_install.htm

Nicolas.
                    • 7. Re: 11gR2 Installation Problem
                      Girish Sharma
                      Sir,
                      Thank you very much for your reply. I am searching RHEL4 Update 7 and if i found then will try to update the OS; since it is very new issue with me, so probably i think it is going to take a long time.

For ORACLE_BASE, it is already in oracle user's .bash_profile, so i thought that for installation i have to reassign the ORACLE_HOME and other values, which i did as above please.

Best Regards
                      Girish Sharma
                      • 8. Re: 11gR2 Installation Problem
                        Charles Hooper
                        You will need to merge the files and directories contained in the two zip files into a single common directory structure with the database directory as the common starting point (you will need to maintain the directory structure). Be prepared to make changes to the sysctl.conf file as the installer verifies that the minimum values are specified - the minimums and port ranges differ from those recommended for 11.1.0.6/11.1.0.7 by the documentation, which means that they also differ from the minimums specified by the 10g R2 documentation. The documentation (Quick Installation Guide) also lists the required Linux packages.

Charles Hooper
                        IT Manager/Oracle DBA
                        K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.
                        • 9. Re: 11gR2 Installation Problem
                          Girish Sharma
                          I am reopening the thread after doing following:

1.I installed Fedora 11 on existing RHEL4 so that as Nicolas sir suggested me to get the higher version of linux.

2.As you suggested me to maintained the directoray structure, i copied all the folder of disk2.zip in first folder and named it "database" i.e. stage--components and all the folders of disk2 copied in database--stage--components.

3.Followed all the step wise step configuration as mentioned in following link:
                          http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/11g/OracleDB11gR1InstallationOnFedora11.php

4.For required packages/RPM i downloaded all the .rpm files from following link:
                          http://fedora.inode.at/fedora/linux/releases/11/Everything/i386/os/Packages/

5.Removed all spaces from the foldername in which runInstaller file is existing (Yesterday i read this in a thread by Hans sir)
                          and started ./runInstaller. It started and worked till required semaphore setting and package installation and stuck at one point saying pdksh-5.2.14 (Public domain Korn Shell) package required. I downloaded and then rpm -ivh pdksh-5.2.14-21.src.rpm. Again checked required packages but it was saying the missing the same package i.e. pdksh-5.2.14. So i checked marked on ignore all and next. It again started for installation and upto 95% completed again i got following error:

INS-20802 Oracle Net configuration assistant failed.
                          Cause:The plug-in failed in its perform method.
                          Action:Refer to logs or contact oracle support service.

and here installation stoped and failed. I checked by sqlplus and sys/pw as sysdba. I got connected to idle instance and SQL prompt.

Please help/guide me what to do next or where i missed in installation.

Thanks & Kind Regards
                          Girish Sharma
                          • 10. Re: 11gR2 Installation Problem
                            Nicolas.Gasparotto
                            Girish Sharma wrote:
                            I am reopening the thread after doing following:

1.I installed Fedora 11 on existing RHEL4 so that as Nicolas sir suggested me to get the higher version of linux.
                            Fedora 11 on RHEL 4 ? Did I suggested that ? I even don't understand what do you mean.
                            3.Followed all the step wise step configuration as mentioned in following link:
                            http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/11g/OracleDB11gR1InstallationOnFedora11.php
                            Hope you see the difference on the release. Why not going to the page I linked above, everything is in there ?
                            ...It started and worked till required semaphore setting and package installation and stuck at one point saying pdksh-5.2.14 (Public domain Korn Shell) package required. I downloaded and then rpm -ivh pdksh-5.2.14-21.src.rpm. Again checked required packages but it was saying the missing the same package i.e. pdksh-5.2.14. So i checked marked on ignore all and next. It again started for installation and upto 95% completed again i got following error:

INS-20802 Oracle Net configuration assistant failed.
                            Cause:The plug-in failed in its perform method.
                            Action:Refer to logs or contact oracle support service.
                            If a package is missing, how could you expect everything will work smoothly ?

Furthermore, since you're in Fedora (note that Oracle is not certified on this Linux distro) you could have some additional steps.

Nicolas.
                            • 11. Re: 11gR2 Installation Problem
                              Girish Sharma
                              Sir,
                              Thank you again for your as ever valuable replies.

You did'nt suggested me to gor for fedora, its my assumption that fedora 11 is latest version of linux so, i think it should be adopted to get resolve issue of RHEL 4 Update 7 please.

I got 95% installation complete. The required package i.e. pdksh-5.2.14-21.src.rpm have been installed by me; but do'nt getting where it is relating with Oracle Net configuration assistant. Its now 5% more to get 100%; so i think if possible i will try to run netca or similary issues. All required library and binaries have been installed, now what netca and then DBCA will help me, i will try and will post the outcome.

Thanks & Regards
                              Girish Sharma
                              • 12. Re: 11gR2 Installation Problem
                                Girish Sharma
                                Sir,

After installing pdksh (required package) i re-run OUI and now there is no required dependencies missing. It again started but the same error as below:

INS-20802 Oracle Net Configuration Assistant failed.

I clicked on skip option; then DBCA started, it worked fine but with ending error message was saying that no listener is configured. Start netca, configure one listener and then emca.

I checked that db has been created and its working fine.

but;

[oracle@localhost ~]$ netca

Oracle Net Services Configuration:
                                #
                                # An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
                                #
                                # SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0xa4a4974e, pid=2228, tid=3086813392
                                #
                                # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_17-b02 mixed mode)
                                # Problematic frame:
                                # C [libclntsh.so.11.1+0x42974e] snlinGetAddrInfo+0x1b2
                                #
                                # An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid2228.log
                                #
                                # If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
                                # http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
                                #
                                /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db_1/bin/netca: line 178: 2228 Aborted $JRE $JRE_OPTIONS -classpath $CLASSPATH oracle.net.ca.NetCA $*
                                [oracle@localhost ~]$

It means, i am having 11gR2 db but without any remote access, because there is no listener. Kindly help me to get resolve the issue.

Thanks & Regards
                                Girish Sharma
                                • 13. Re: 11gR2 Installation Problem
                                  Nicolas.Gasparotto
                                  What about a manuel configuration of your listener ?
                                  Or easier, what about start the standard listener on port 1521 by raising "lnrctl start". The database is automatically registered on this one (if no local/remote listener have been configured).

Once again, you are on Fedora. It is not RHEL. You could have some unexpected issue to workaround.

Nicolas.
                                  • 14. Re: 11gR2 Installation Problem
                                    Amit_DBA
                                    Girish,

Better option for you would be to install RHEL5 or OEL5 as you will be able to use features like ACFS available in 11.2 ASM

Also installing on a platform which is not supported will make you see unexpected results...
                                    My 2 cents..

Cheers
                                    Amit
                                    http://askdba.org/weblog/
                                    1 2 Previous Next