This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2011 12:26 AM by 866683 RSS

Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2

user457508 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I'm attempting to install Oracle 11g Release 2 in a Red Hat Enterprise 5.3 Linux environment. I get the following message:

Invalid source path '../stage/Components/oracle.jdk/1.5.0.17.0/1/DataFiles' specified for unzip. Unzip command failed. Please check oraparam.ini and specify a valid source path.
: No such file or directory

I've search for the sub-directory and files and was unable to locate them. I've searched both disk1 and disk2 with not success.

Please help

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2
    458269 Newbie
    Both disk 1 and disk 2 should have been unzipped into the same database directory ... is that how you proceeded?

Did you make sure that ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_BASE were correctly set ( HOME should point to the new 11.2 and BASE to somelthing like /u01/app/oracle ).
  • 2. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2
    user457508 Newbie
    Yes, disk1 & disk2 are expanded to the same sub-directory. My directory is /home/oracle/disk1. I'm signed-on to my oracle user account.

I continue to get the same results.

Thanks
  • 3. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2
    hans forbrich Oracle ACE Director
    I suspect you have a corrupt download.
  • 4. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2
    458269 Newbie
    Ummm ... well it should expand to a database directory not a disk 1 directory ...
  • 5. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2
    458269 Newbie
    This is what my directory structure looks like ...

# pwd
    /u01/software_install/11_2_base/database
    # ls
    doc install response rpm runInstaller sshsetup stage welcome.html

Of course the names for the "software_install" and "11_2_base" can be whatever makes sense to youl
  • 6. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2
    user457508 Newbie
    My directory structure is as follows:

doc install response rpm runInstaller sshsetup stage welcome.html

When I list the directory structure for stage & Components there is not a directory named /stage/Components/oracle.jdk.

I also had no problems unzipping the zip file. If it was corrupt wouldn't I have gotten an error at that time?

Thanks
  • 7. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2
    458269 Newbie
    Here is what it looks like on my system ...

$ cd oracle.jdk
    $ ls
    $ pwd
    /u01/software_install/11_2_base/database/stage/Components/oracle.jdk

You noted earlier that you have some kind of disk1 directory that you are operating from ( versus a database directory that will get created if you just run unzip against first the disc1 zip file then the disc2 zip file ).

If I were you I would consider starting over ... downloading the files from scratch ... verify the sizes ... and just unzip them 1 by 1 using the full name of the zip files ONLY so that they go into the same database directory.
  • 8. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2
    mredon - oracle Newbie
    I've had the same problem because I thought that when you extracted part 1 it will also extract part 2 as usual with splitted zip volumes but it's not this way...maybe filenames are a bit misleading and lead you to this failure.

If you unzip part 1 and later part 2 into the same directory you shouldn't have any problem.
  • 9. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2
    hans forbrich Oracle ACE Director
    I posted my steps in the Installation forum. Work for OEL 5.3 Installing Oracle 11gR2 on OEL 5.3

One major key was to install the 'default software set' into OEL, and then add only packages needed. Many people will also add packages like Java and eventually some extra packages will collide with the Oracle requirements.

Another key was (as you say) unzipping both download parts into the same directory.
  • 10. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2
    442613 Explorer
    I faced similar issue but this was because I started install before unzipping second CD. After I downloaded both in same directory, I was able to install without any issues. I have documented the steps along with screenshots. Refer to

http://askdba.org/weblog/2009/09/11gr2-database-installation-with-asm-on-oel5/

Cheers
    Amit
    http://askdba.org/weblog/
  • 11. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2
    user296828 Expert
    To fix this bug you simply need to unzip both the zip files within the same folder.
    linux.x64_11gR2_database_1of2.zip
    linux.x64_11gR2_database_2of2.zip

$mkdir /tmp/disk1
    $cd /tmp/disk1
    unzip <source>/linux.x64_11gR2_database_1of2.zip .
    unzip <source>/linux.x64_11gR2_database_2of2.zip .
    $/tmp/disk1/database/./runInstaller

Also the setting up ORACLE_BASE is not mandatory.
  • 12. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2
    716603 Newbie
    pgoel wrote:
    Also the setting up ORACLE_BASE is not mandatory.
    According to the 11g Database New Features Guide, the ORACLE_BASE is required:

"1.10.7.1 Enhanced Optimal Flexible Architecture (OFA) Support
    The database installation process has been redesigned to be based on the ORACLE_BASE environment variable. Until now, setting this variable has been optional and the only required variable has been ORACLE_HOME. *With this feature, ORACLE_BASE is the only required input*, and the ORACLE_HOME setting will be derived from ORACLE_BASE. This change streamlines how Oracle software installation is organized, thereby making ongoing management easier.

This feature improves manageability by making default Oracle Database installations more compliant with Optimal Flexible Architecture (OFA) specifications."
  • 13. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2
    727604 Newbie
    You need to unzip both files in the same directory, not only one file

$ unzip linux.x64_11gR2_database_1of2.zip
    then
    $ unzip linux.x64_11gR2_database_2of2.zip

during unzip you will see the following line on the screen:
    creating: database/stage/Components/oracle.jdk/
    creating: database/stage/Components/oracle.jdk/1.5.0.17.0/
    creating: database/stage/Components/oracle.jdk/1.5.0.17.0/1/
    creating: database/stage/Components/oracle.jdk/1.5.0.17.0/1/DataFiles/
    inflating: database/stage/Components/oracle.jdk/1.5.0.17.0/1/DataFiles/all.jar

Then you can find the "oracle.jdk" folder , and then you can run "runInstaller" properly
    $ find . -name "oracle.jdk"
    ./stage/Components/oracle.jdk

I encountered the same problem and solve after unzip the second zip file. hope its help.
  • 14. Re: Unable to install Oracle 11g Release 2
    user477475 - oracle Newbie
    Issue is reproducible on EPD image which i downloaded today

. ~/orasoft/disk1/database/runInstaller
    bash: /home/apps/orasoft/disk2/database/stage/install/.oui: No such file or directory
    [apps@www stage]$ /home/apps/orasoft/disk1/database/runInstaller
    Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

Checking Temp space: must be greater than 120 MB. Actual 41243 MB Passed
    Checking swap space: must be greater than 150 MB. Actual 4094 MB Passed
    Checking monitor: must be configured to display at least 256 colors. Actual 16777216 Passed
    Preparing to launch Oracle Universal Installer from /tmp/OraInstall2010-02-02_11-04-29PM. Please wait ...
    Invalid source path '../stage/Components/oracle.jdk/1.5.0.17.0/1/DataFiles' specified for unzip. Unzip command failed. Please check oraparam.ini and specify a valid source path.
    : No such file or directory

WORKAROUND:
    cp -r /home/apps/orasoft/disk2/database/stage/Components/* /home/apps/orasoft/disk1/database/stage/Components/

FIX:
    /home/apps/orasoft/disk1/database/runInstaller
    Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

Checking Temp space: must be greater than 120 MB. Actual 39872 MB Passed
    Checking swap space: must be greater than 150 MB. Actual 4094 MB Passed
    Checking monitor: must be configured to display at least 256 colors. Actual 16777216 Passed
    Preparing to launch Oracle Universal Installer from /tmp/OraInstall2010-02-02_11-12-52PM. Please wait ...
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points