7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 7, 2009 10:20 AM by sbelcher1504 RSS

Oracle Application Performance Tuning

Jithin
      Hello all,
      Please forgive me if I am asking this in the wrong section.

I am a s/w engineer with 2 years of exp. I have been working as a performance tuning resource for Oracle EBS in my company. The work mostly involved SQL tuning and dealing with indexes etc. In this time I took up interest in DBA stuff and I completed my OCA in Oracle 10g. Now my comany is giving me an oppurtunity to move into an Application DBA team and I am totally confused about it.

Becoming an Apps DBA will mean that the effort I put into the certification in 10g will be of no use. There are other papers for Apps DBA certification. Should I stay put in performance tuning & wait for a Core DBA chance or shall I accept the Apps DBA oppurtunity.

Also, does my exp. in SQL performace tuning hold any value as such with out an exposure to DBA activities?

Kindly guide me in this regards as I am very confused at this juncture.

Regards,
      Jithin
        • 1. Re: Oracle Application Performance Tuning
          Jithin wrote:
          Hello all,
          Please forgive me if I am asking this in the wrong section.

I am a s/w engineer with 2 years of exp. I have been working as a performance tuning resource for Oracle EBS in my company. The work mostly involved SQL tuning and dealing with indexes etc. In this time I took up interest in DBA stuff and I completed my OCA in Oracle 10g. Now my comany is giving me an oppurtunity to move into an Application DBA team and I am totally confused about it.

Becoming an Apps DBA will mean that the effort I put into the certification in 10g will be of no use. There are other papers for Apps DBA certification. Should I stay put in performance tuning & wait for a Core DBA chance or shall I accept the Apps DBA oppurtunity.

Also, does my exp. in SQL performace tuning hold any value as such with out an exposure to DBA activities?

Kindly guide me in this regards as I am very confused at this juncture.

Regards,
          Jithin
          If by 'Application DBA Team' this means the resource covering Oracle EBS my suggestion would be to move into that as th opportunity may not come again. You've already got the 10g OCA; so it not impossible hopefully to get yourself the 1z0-043 pass as well. (A fair proportion of that exam covers backup in detail from memory). That also it probably the best pre-requisite for the Oracle -Business Admin (from memory). Hope this is helpful.
          • 2. Re: Oracle Application Performance Tuning
            Jithin
            Hello bigdelboy , Thank you for your reply.

Yes, By oracle Apps DBA I meant Oracle EBS.

Clearing 1Z0-046 is an option. However, my doubt is will clearing both the exams Admin I and Admin II be of any help without having practical expericnce? The EBS DBA work involves support and patching, cloning, and new node setup etc.

Also, is my performance tuning experience going to help me in any way in the journey forward as a DBA/ EBS DBA?

Thank you for your valuable time.

Regards,
            Jithin Sarath
            • 3. Re: Oracle Application Performance Tuning
              Jithin wrote:
              Hello bigdelboy , Thank you for your reply.

Yes, By oracle Apps DBA I meant Oracle EBS.

Clearing 1Z0-046 is an option. However, my doubt is will clearing both the exams Admin I and Admin II be of any help without having practical expericnce? The EBS DBA work involves support and patching, cloning, and new node setup etc.

Also, is my performance tuning experience going to help me in any way in the journey forward as a DBA/ EBS DBA?

Thank you for your valuable time.

Regards,
              Jithin Sarath
              The way I read it is this.

People notice you are capable of understanding and performance tuning SQL. And you must have some knowledge of Oracle EBS. And in fact you also have a DBA OCA.

So there is a 98% + chance you can be made into a good Oracle Apps DBA (and core DBA). If I was in their position I'd want you on my team too; this is the way we used to bring on DBA's in the old days before certification and it has a lot of merit still. Okay you can only do limited tasks at first ... but the number of taks you can do will increase dramatically over a number of months.

I would imagine the Oracle Apps DBA will be delighted to have someone on board who can performance tune SQL which sometimes can sometimes seem more like an art than a science. The patching etc can be taught in small doses. If they are a good team they wont try to give you everything at once, they'll get you to learn one procedure at a time.

And remember, if in doubt ask; and if you dont understand ask again. And be safe rather than sorry on actions that could be critial.

If your worried about liinux: Linux Recipes For Oracle Dbas (Apress) might be a good book to read but could be expensive in India
              Likewise: (Oracle Applications Dba Field Guide) may suit and even (Rman Recipes For Oracle Database 11 G: A Problem-solution Approach) may have some value if you need to get up to speed quickly in those areas.
              These are not perfect but they sometimes consolidate the information neatly; however only buy if you feel they are cheap enough. You may well buy them and feel disappointed (These all happen to be by Apress who seem to have produced a number of good books ... they've also published some rubbish as well)

And go over the 2-day dba examples as well and linux install examples n OTN as well ... they are free compared to the books I mentioned.

Rgds -bigdelboy.
              • 4. Re: Oracle Application Performance Tuning
                Jithin
                Thank you bigdelboy, I am much relived after reading your reply on perf. tuning aspect.

There is another fact I failed to mention about the EBS team. The client's EBS is a windows one. They adopted Oracle very long ago and were later coaxed by Microsoft into Windows. the DB & Applicationa are very stabe. I have heard that Windows flavours are rare. So, do I stand to gain less in a windows env?

As for installing the DB, I have succesfully done it in XP and am quiet familier with the backup and restore process with the EM console offers. Since power faliures occur and I might not be at home, there haev been corrupt files and I ahve had to recover them - which generally take a lot of googeling and me spending days. I am tryring my best to put into practice what ever i learned for the Admin I OCA exam.

Regards,
                Jithin
                • 5. Re: Oracle Application Performance Tuning
                  Many People have tended not to use Windows for Oracle:
                  - (1) Because Earlier versions of windows appeared unreliable and relatively frequent reboots were required.
                  - (2) Because the 32 bit versions of windows severly constrain memory usage by the database server
                  - (3) Because of a perception 64 bit versins of windows are only now matering quickly.
                  For many this makes the decision to use Oracle Server on unix and linux which have has some implementations very stable on 64bit for a long time with considerable easing of memory constraints

I only may the comment about linux because you seemed to mention 1z0-046 .... did you mean 1z0-043? Certainly studying for 1z0-043 covers a lot on the backup (and recovery) side of things which you will probably find helpful.

For me personally I would forego the linux side of things to get experience with Oracle Applications EBS. Most administration cna be done platform independently from the gui's anyway.

Rgds - bigdelboy.
                  • 6. Re: Oracle Application Performance Tuning
                    Jithin
                    My mistake; I was referring to *1Z0-043* and not 046. So once I move in, they plan to slowly transition me in a period of approx. 2 months before I start doing shifts alone. I hope that by that time, I would be able to grasp all the essentials

Thank you for youe valuable comments.

Regards,
                    Jithin
                    • 7. Re: Oracle Application Performance Tuning
                      sbelcher1504
                      HI all, again slightly off post. my apologies for this

Has anyone a set of expected/ typical Server response times for individual actions on a P6 Oracle database installation. Looking for just time across the Datacentre floor with no intervening external network

I have a complex load testing requirements of a single P6/& application runing to various locations around the globe and need to have a set of base times to review performance times against.