7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2011 5:34 AM by user615859 RSS

11g R2 -silent install: "Template General_Purpose.dbc does not exist"

I'm working in an environment where no X-Windows/GUI is permitted; therefore, I'm attempting to perform a -silent install of 11g R2 on RHEL 5.3 and am finding the screen output to my terminal window less than helpful. Fortunately, a thorough review of the install actions log provides what appears to be my problem.

The screen output I receive is as follows (I've added some line breaks to make it more readable):

(oracle@blade2-1 database)$ cd /opt/oracleStagingArea/Oracle11gR2/11.2.0.1.0/Disk1/database
      (oracle@blade2-1 database)$ ./runInstaller -silent -responseFile /home/oracle/ResponseFiles/11gR2/ORCL11GD_enterprise_11201.rsp

Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

Checking Temp space: must be greater than 80 MB. Actual 91127 MB Passed
      Checking swap space: must be greater than 150 MB. Actual 8000 MB Passed

Preparing to launch Oracle Universal Installer from /tmp/OraInstall2009-09-14_01-25-28PM. Please wait ...

(oracle@blade2-1 database)$

You can find the log of this install session at:
      /u01/app/oracle/oraInventory/logs/installActions2009-09-14_01-25-28PM.log

That's it - no indication as to whether the installation was successful or failed or whether the NETCA/DBCA/etc. were successful or not.

I found that a listener existed after the install:
      (oracle@blade2-1 database)$ ps -ef | grep tns
      oracle 22597 1 0 13:29 ? 00:00:00 /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db_1/bin/tnslsnr LISTENER -inherit

My instance didn't appear to be up, though:
      (oracle@blade2-1 database)$ ps -ef | grep ORCL11GD
      oracle 22776 19142 0 13:39 pts/0 00:00:00 grep ORCL11GD

So, I checked the /u01/app/oracle/oraInventory/logs/installActions2009-09-14_01-25-28PM.log to see what it revealed. It shows me the following for the DBCA:

INFO: Started Plugin named: Oracle Database Configuration Assistant
      INFO: Found associated job
      INFO: Starting 'Oracle Database Configuration Assistant'
      INFO: Starting 'Oracle Database Configuration Assistant'
      INFO: Executing DBCA
      INFO: Command /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db_1/bin/dbca -silent -createDatabase -templateName General_Purpose.dbc -sid ORCL11GD -gdbName orcl11gd.blade2-1.mycompany.com -emConfiguration LOCAL -storageType FS -datafileDestination /u02/oradata -datafileJarLocation /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db_1/assistants/dbca/templates -responseFile /home/oracle/ResponseFiles/11gR2/ORCL11GD_enterprise_11201.rsp -characterset WE8ISO8859P15 -obfuscatedPasswords false -sampleSchema false -oratabLocation /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db_1/install/oratab -automaticMemoryManagement true -totalMemory 2048 -maskPasswords false -oui_internal
      INFO: ... GenericInternalPlugIn.handleProcess() entered.
      INFO: ... GenericInternalPlugIn: getting configAssistantParmas.
      INFO: ... GenericInternalPlugIn: checking secretArguments.
      INFO: ... GenericInternalPlugIn: starting read loop.
      INFO: Read: SYS_PASSWORD_PROMPT
      INFO: Processing: SYS_PASSWORD_PROMPT for argument tag -sysPassword
      INFO: Read: SYSTEM_PASSWORD_PROMPT
      INFO: Processing: SYSTEM_PASSWORD_PROMPT for argument tag -systemPassword
      INFO: Read: DBSNMP_PASSWORD_PROMPT
      INFO: Processing: DBSNMP_PASSWORD_PROMPT for argument tag -dbsnmpPassword
      INFO: Read: SYSMAN_PASSWORD_PROMPT
      INFO: Processing: SYSMAN_PASSWORD_PROMPT for argument tag -sysmanPassword
      INFO: End of argument passing to stdin
      INFO: Read: Template General_Purpose.dbc does not exist. Please specify an existing template for database creation.
      INFO: Completed Plugin named: Oracle Database Configuration Assistant
      INFO: Oracle Database Configuration Assistant failed.
      INFO: Oracle Database Configuration Assistant failed.

I don't see a template named "General_Purpose.dbc" in the $ORACLE_HOME/dbca/templates directory:

(oracle@blade2-1 database)$ cd /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/db_1/assistants/dbca/templates
      (oracle@blade2-1 database)$ ls -lrt
      total 23216
      -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle oinstall 11492 Feb 25 2009 New_Database.dbt
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 oracle oinstall 1179648 Aug 14 03:01 example.dmp
      -rwxr-xr-x 1 oracle oinstall 22536192 Aug 14 03:01 example01.dfb

Any suggestions would be welcomed!
        • 1. Re: 11g R2 -silent install: "Template General_Purpose.dbc does not exist"
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          One option would be to create your own template- see MOS Doc 148676.1 (DBCA Templates)

HTH
          Srini
          • 2. Re: 11g R2 -silent install: "Template General_Purpose.dbc does not exist"
            Thanks, Srini. We're still working on getting the SCI# so we can have ML/MOS access for our environment; however, I'll see if I can get my hands on Note:148676.1 through another DBA and read through it. As I recall, I seem to remember this method requiring running the GUI DBCA to generate the template. We have no GUI environment - it's not permitted. I'll read through the note, none-the-less. Thanks for the suggestion!
            • 3. Re: 11g R2 -silent install: "Template General_Purpose.dbc does not exist"
              Hans Forbrich
              RestedTraveler wrote:
              ... We have no GUI environment - it's not permitted. ...
              Not permitted at all? Or just in the server?

I have used Xming, CygwinX and TightVNC quite successfully on Windows to act as displays for 'headless' servers.
              • 4. Re: 11g R2 -silent install: "Template General_Purpose.dbc does not exist"
                Hans: None at all, unfortunately.

Srini: I obtained a copy of the note and read through it. It does look as though I should be able to run the DBCA in -silent mode to create a template, so no GUI needed. Thanks again!

On a side note: Did anybody else notice the "General_Purpose.dbc" template missing from the $ORACLE_HOME/dbca/templates directory after an 11g R2 software install on RHEL 5.3? I'm beginning to suspect that not all components were installed as expected during the software installation. the oraInstall<Date/Time>.err file is full of errors such as the following:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: /opt/oracleStagingArea/Oracle11gR2/11.2.0.1.0/Disk1/database/stage/Components/oracle.rdbms.install.seeddb/11.2.0.1.0/1/DataFiles/filegroup2.jar (No such file or directory)

All of these errors are complaining about only the following 4 compoments:

- oracle.ctx
                - oracle.sysman.console.db
                - oracle.owb.rsf
                - oracle.rdbms.install.seeddb

Upon investigation, I found that there is no oracle.ctx, oracle.sysman.console.db, oracle.owb.rsf, or oracle.rdbms.install.seeddb under /opt/oracleStagingArea/Oracle11gR2/11.2.0.1.0/Disk1/database/stage/Compoments. Instead, the grouping is located under /opt/oracleStagingArea/Oracle11gR2/11.2.0.1.0/Disk2/database/stage/Components.

It seems that I may have staged the media incorrectly in two separate directories. Should I have unzipped both files into the same directory instead of separating them out?
                • 5. Re: 11g R2 -silent install: "Template General_Purpose.dbc does not exist"
                  OK - the root of the problem appears to be how I staged the software originally.

I re-staged the software to unzip the contents of both disks into one directory (/opt/oracleStagingArea/Oracle11gR2/11.2.0.1.0/database/) and re-ran the installation and everything appears to be fine now - the General_Purpose.dbc template was there and the database was created.

I must say that I'm very impressed with how quickly 11g R2 installed and created the starter database.
                  • 6. Re: 11g R2 -silent install: "Template General_Purpose.dbc does not exist"
                    How did you unzipped both the files in one directory? they have same folder.
                    • 7. Re: 11g R2 -silent install: "Template General_Purpose.dbc does not exist"
                      user615859
                      There are two archive files and when unzipped, by default they will unzip into two different directories. However, you need to select same directory to unzip or merge both directories to become one.

This way all installation errors like xxx file not find will be no more and Oracle 11g R2 db install will be smooth.

I had same problem "Default template file not found" along with other file not find errors while copying the files. I merged the directories and installed again. it was smooth.

Narasimha