This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2009 10:41 AM by donhoyt RSS

dark color as background (theme / look and feel)

ward.flores Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I would prefer to have a dark color as a background in my jdev editor. Is this possible for the linux version? I tried playing with the themes but all of them have the similar white background. And regarding the look and feel, there is only one option "Oracle". It is not clear to me which of these I would need to change but anyways, neither of these do what I want.

Any ideas? Thanks.
wf
  • 1. Re: dark color as background (theme / look and feel)
    504680 Journeyer
    Hi wflores you can change or customize the look and feel, check this link [http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B32110_01/web.1013/b25947/web_laf.htm#CACFDJFE]

Good Luck
  • 2. Re: dark color as background (theme / look and feel)
    714852 Explorer
    I think he means the IDE itself, not the applications created with ADF.

I can't say I've ever stumbed across any documentation, but a quick poke around the jdev install dirs ({install}\jdeveloper\ide\themes) shows a 'creating_themes.html' and a 'fusionblue.jar{\META-INF\theme.properties}, perhaps there's a starting point for you *

* - this is a guess, if you mess up your jdev install, don't blame me! ;)
  • 3. Re: dark color as background (theme / look and feel)
    ward.flores Newbie
    Yes, I would like the changes for the IDE itself. Are there other themes that we can download it somewhere or we really need to create one ourselves (assuming it is possible)?
  • 4. Re: dark color as background (theme / look and feel)
    donhoyt Newbie
    I agree. Going from JDev10g to JDev11g I lost my soothing gray background. ALL the supplied LAFs have white for their panel backgrounds - really hard on the eyes. This would seem like a really easy setting to change.

I really enjoy the rest of the LAF. I would like to subclass it and change just that one thing.... :(
    I have not found any way to do this so far.
  • 5. Re: dark color as background (theme / look and feel)
    donhoyt Newbie
    Thanks so much "cafelatte" for your post. That is exactly it! (Sorry I should have gone to your links before posting..)
    creating_themes.html pretty much spells out what you need to do for JDev11g.
  • 6. Re: dark color as background (theme / look and feel)
    ward.flores Newbie
    For those that are "lazy" to go through all this creating_themes process, you can just change the syntax colors (scheme twilight) of the Code Editor as a workaround. Of course, these color changes do not apply to all the skin interface, but it's better than nothing.

Tools > Preferences > Code editor > Syntax colors > Scheme = Twilight

Regards,
    wf
  • 7. Re: dark color as background (theme / look and feel)
    donhoyt Newbie
    CAUTION: Dangerous magic! You are messing with your IDE. Implent with caution and attention and you will achieve heaven. Proceed recklessly and you will mess up your installation and have to re-install... :(

Here's the specifics:
    Overview:
    1) Copy fusionblue.jar
    2) Modify theme.properties
    a) Change the "name" entry to your custom name:
    ex. name=name=EasyEyesLightGray
    b) Add entry: colors.windowBackground=#B8B8B8
    (where #B8B8B8 is the hex color value you want. I chose light gray! Oh, my eyes! :) I love it!)
    3) Re-jar your project and deploy it to %JDevHOME%\ide\themes\
    (Note: It will Immediately show up in the menu as selectable
    Tools\Preferences,Environment(Tab),Theme(Poplist)
    4) Select your new theme in JDeveloper, Click OK; JDeveloper will ask you if you want to restart the IDE and apply it, Click Yes.
    That's it! You will see your beautiful new background color is now the default background color of EVERY pane!!! Hurray!!!

Thank you Oracle for making customization soooo easy! Your developers love you! :)

Details:
    1) Create a new "General" Application in JDeveloper
    2) In the OS, Create a new folder under the Project called "src" (not the only way but it's fast and I like it)
    3) Copy %JDevHOME%\ide\themes\fusionblue.jar to your new "src" folder
    4) Unjar the fusionblue.jar here, then delete the fusionblue.jar (I just renamed it .zip and unzipped it - again, quick not dirty)
    5) Go back to JDeveloper and refresh your Project. (JDeveloper will reflect the OS changes nicely)
    6) Double click the "theme.properties" file located under Project1\Application Sources\META-INF
    7) In the editor, modify the file as such:
    a) Change the "name" entry to your custom name:
    ex. name=name=EasyEyesLightGray
    b) Add entry: colors.windowBackground=#B8B8B8 (Where #B8B8B8 is the Hex value of the color you want)
    8) Save your changes
    9) Set up a deployment profile in JDeveloper and deploy it back where fusionblue.jar was (%JDevHOME%\ide\themes\)
    10) In JDeveloper menus, select your new theme at Tools\Preferences,Environment(Tab),Theme(Poplist)
    11) Restart and Enjoy!!!

Cheers fellow coders!
    Don Hoyt
  • 8. Re: dark color as background (theme / look and feel)
    ward.flores Newbie
    Hello Don,

Thanks for sharing your findings. I'm glad to know it worked fine for you, I'll definitely give it at try whenever I have some free time.

Regards,
    wf
  • 9. Re: dark color as background (theme / look and feel)
    donhoyt Newbie
    Uh... Sorry. I don't know why it doubled the "name equals" in my examples. It should only be there once.
    I am going to paste it here but it may double it again?
    Should only be there once like this name=EasyEyesLightGray

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points