8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 23, 2011 8:15 AM by ABT RSS

How To Install Only DAC Client 10.1.3.4.1 on Windows Client Machine

Hi,

I want to install ONLY the DAC 10.1.3.4.1 client on my Windows client machine.

However, when I launch the Oracle Universal Installer the install options are greyed out and I'm forced to install both the Client and Server products.

I don't want to do this.

Please suggest me how do I go about this issue.

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: How To Install Only DAC Client 10.1.3.4.1 on Windows Client Machine
          I believe there is no supported way of installing only client component, so make sure your DAC client is pointing to the remote DAC server. MAke sure local DAC server is not brought up.

It is a requirement though to have DAC server and Informatica server on same box. also DAC client requires Informatica client, so DAC client and Informatica client need to be on same box.
          • 2. Re: How To Install Only DAC Client 10.1.3.4.1 on Windows Client Machine
            There is a way to install the DAC on your local machine without the server, but you do not run the installation. You copy a series of files and directories to the local machine off of the server. I will do my best to update this note with the instructions.

Thanks,
            Austin
            • 3. Re: How To Install Only DAC Client 10.1.3.4.1 on Windows Client Machine
              In version 7.9.5.1 the instructions say to:

You must satisfy the following requirements on the machine on which you want to
              install an additional DAC Client:
              ■ JDK 1.5 or higher must be installed. For more information, see Section 4.3.4.5,
              "Download and Install the Java JDK".
              ■ The appropriate ODBC database connection must be created on the machine. For
              more information, see Section 4.3.4.3, "Create ODBC Database Connections".
              ■ Download the Hibernate files from the Hibernate Web site. For more information,
              see Section 4.3.4.6, "Download Hibernate Libraries".
              To install an additional instance of the DAC Client on Windows
              1. Copy the \OracleBI\DAC\ directory and its subfolders from the Oracle BI
              Applications installation (on Windows) to the target Windows machine (for
              example, to a directory called \DAC\).
              2. Copy the \OracleBI\dwrep\ directory and its subfolders from the Oracle BI
              Applications installation (on Windows) to the target Windows machine.
              Note: Alternatively, if the target machine already has Oracle Business Intelligence
              Enterprise Edition installed, you can run the Oracle BI Applications installer on the
              target machine to install the DAC Client. For information about how to run the Oracle
              BI Applications installer, see Section 4.4, "Running the Oracle BI Applications Installer
              on Windows."

I haven't attempted this with the 7.9.6 version yet. Nor have I reviewed the documentation to see if it is mentioned as an alternative.
              • 4. Re: How To Install Only DAC Client 10.1.3.4.1 on Windows Client Machine
                rmoff
                I've done this with 10.1.3.4.1 [7.9.6].
                Just copy C:\OracleBI\DAC\bifoundation\dac from a machine where you've run the installer to whichever machine you want the client on, and make sure you satisfy the JDK reqs.
                Add a shortcut to your start menu to C:\OracleBI\DAC\bifoundation\dac\startclient.bat
                I don't think Hibernate is needed in the new version.
                You can presumably delete the startserver.bat etc scripts. The Authentication files are in C:\OracleBI\DAC\bifoundation\dac\conf\connections.
                • 5. Re: How To Install Only DAC Client 10.1.3.4.1 on Windows Client Machine
                  Hibernate is not needed with 7.9.6 of BI apps. However, You will need Informatica files as well on the DAC client box for connectivity.
                  Hence, it may be easier to install the full DAC from the installer and then use just the DAC client.
                  • 6. Re: How To Install Only DAC Client 10.1.3.4.1 on Windows Client Machine
                    Thanks to all.It worked.

Edited by: user11917604 on Sep 21, 2009 5:30 AM
                    • 7. Re: How To Install Only DAC Client 10.1.3.4.1 on Windows Client Machine
                      ABT
                      Hi,

It will be helpful for me If you could explain the steps you carried out this.

Thanks,
                      • 8. Re: How To Install Only DAC Client 10.1.3.4.1 on Windows Client Machine
                        ABT
                        Hi,

Have you installed Power center client also along with DAC Client ? Is that mandatory ?
                        Since pmrep is required to synchronize tasks with Informatica workflows and to keep the DAC task source and target tables information up to date, hence I guess Power center Client installtion is mandatory.
                        How did you change config.bat file so that it points to correct DAC_HOME and JAVA_HOME ?

Thanks