1 Reply Latest reply: Sep 30, 2009 9:06 PM by EdStevens RSS

Oracle 11g Client to Oracle 9i Database

I have installed Oracle 11g Client on my computer but everytime I try to connect to my
      Oracle 9i Database Server I get the error:

ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor.
      Error Number -2147467259

Can someone please explain why I can not connect Oracle 11g Client to Oracle 9i Database Server?

Many thanks in advance.

Alex
        • 1. Re: Oracle 11g Client to Oracle 9i Database
          EdStevens
          alexanderplim@yahoo.com wrote:
          I have installed Oracle 11g Client on my computer but everytime I try to connect to my
          Oracle 9i Database Server I get the error:

ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor.
          Error Number -2147467259

Can someone please explain why I can not connect Oracle 11g Client to Oracle 9i Database Server?
          I'd guess the reason you can't connect is because the listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor. The error messages don't lie.

That said, there could be a compatibility issue. If so it will come down to the exact versions of your 11g client and 9i database. That is why it is so important to give actual version numbers to at least 4 decimals. You can check for yourself with MetaLink note 207303.1.

However, given the error message, I'd pursue that first. I'd expect the compatibility problem to exhibit itself in a different manner.

On the client, do a tnsping and see what service is listed in the result. Then on the server do a 'lsnrctl status' and see if the service given by the tnsping is listed.
          Many thanks in advance.

Alex