I've got a developer using Crystal Reports 2008 to connect to our Oracle databases. Some are 126.96.36.199, the rest are 10.2.0.4. She created ODBC drivers on her Windows XP laptop but when she connects to the 10.2.0.4 databases she doesn't see all the schemas. If she connects using the Oracle Server method she see's all schemas. I've been trying to research this on the Crystal Reports side, but no luck.
Anyone here every see something like this? Where using the ODBC you connect to the database, but you only get some of the schemas?
Thanks but no. We have hundreds of tables at best, nowhere near the 8000 limit. Also, it's not tables that don't appear - it's the entire schema that's not there in the explorer view. Via the ODBC connection both user schemas and system schemas (SYSTEM in particular) just don't show up.
Do you know (and/or can you trace) the ODBC calls that Crystal Reports is making and/or the SQL statements the ODBC driver is issuing? My guess is that when Crystal is making the ODBC calls that it is passing arguments that tell the ODBC driver to ignore certain schemas. Since you would never create objects in the SYSTEM schema and very, very few people would have any reason to build Crystal Reports reports on top of objects delivered in the SYSTEM schema, my hunch is that Crystal excludes that schema explicitly when it makes the ODBC call. I don't know why it wouldn't do the same thing when you make a direct OCI connection-- potentially they never implemented that particular nicety when they had to directly query the data dictionary.
I am experiencing the same issue.
Not ideal, but I found a work arround:
Create a custom Command for every table you need. Simply add 'Select * from SchemaName.tablename' to the Custom Command and save it as the tablename.
I hope someone has a better solution as it saves quite some time.