3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2009 7:26 PM by gareth.roberts RSS

R12 Creation of Custom Responsibilities

Hi,

We are currently on R12 with a single org setup and and have a requirement to create custom resp. to control user access.

Pls. let me know if creation of custom menus, sub menus, request groups is the right option OR menu, function exclusions a better option.

When compared to 11i does R12 require any additional setups apart from New Resp, Menu, Submenu, Functions, Request Groups, Profile Options..?

Any metalink note Id which discusses detail of creation of custom resp. in R12 will be of great help.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: R12 Creation of Custom Responsibilities
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          Hi,
          Pls. let me know if creation of custom menus, sub menus, request groups is the right option OR menu, function exclusions a better option.
          If it can be achieved by the former, then do. Otherwise, go with the latter.
          Any metalink note Id which discusses detail of creation of custom resp. in R12 will be of great help.
          Please see these documents.

Note: 249987.1 - How to Set Up a Custom Responsibility in Oracle Applications
          Note: 216589.1 - Step By Step Guide to Creating a Custom Application in Applications 11i

Oracle Applications Developer's Guide & Oracle Applications System Administrator's Documentation Set
          http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/applications.html

Regards,
          Hussein
          • 2. Re: R12 Creation of Custom Responsibilities
            S.PDASH
            Hi,
            The only way you can restrict an user to do certain activities only by defining multiple custom responsibilities... e.g.. A user should not have the privilege to do setups in the system.. He is authorised to do trxs only.. for that you define a Responsibility like "Inventory User" and exclude "setup" function/menu while defining the Responsibility... Now assign this resp to the user..By using this he will be able to do trxs only but he can't do setup or setup changes in Inventory module...

Your question:  Pls. let me know if creation of custom menus, sub menus, request groups is the right option OR menu, function exclusions a better option.

To my know knowledge menu, function exclusion is a better option….

Inventory Responsibilities (e.g.)
            ==============================================================
            Name: Application: Responsibility Key: Description: Effective Start date: Data Group Name: Data Group Application: Menu: Request Group Name: Request Group Application: Read Only Access Exclusions: (Menu) Exclusions: (Menu) Exclusions: (Function) Exclusions: (Function) Exclusions: (Function)
            ==============================================================

EU_INV_CZE_CLERK_1 Inventory EU_INV_CZE_C1 EU_INV_CZE_CLERK_1 1-Jan-90 Standard Inventory INV_CLERK_1 All Inclusive GUI Inventory Manage Shipments Corrections

EU_INV_CZE_CLERK_2 Inventory EU_INV_CZE_C2 EU_INV_CZE_CLERK_2 1-Jan-90 Standard Inventory INV_CLERK_2 All Inclusive GUI Inventory INV_CYCLE_COUNTING Manage Shipments Corrections

EU_INV_CZE_CLERK_3 Inventory EU_INV_CZE_C3 EU_INV_CZE_CLERK_3 1-Jan-90 Standard Inventory INV_CLERK_3 All Inclusive GUI Inventory Miscellaneous Transaction

EU_INV_CZE_SUPERVISOR Inventory EU_INV_CZE_SUPV EU_INV_CZE_SUPERVISOR 1-Jan-90 Standard Inventory INV_NAVIGATE All Inclusive GUI Inventory INV_SETUP INV_KANBAN Launch Cost Update Standard Cost Update

Above supervisor resp will restrict user not do setups and he can't do cost update

**EU_INV_CZE_Super User* Inventory EU_INV_CZE_SU EU_INV_CZE_ Super User 1-Jan-90 Standard Inventory INV_NAVIGATE All Inclusive GUI Inventory Launch Cost Update Standard Cost Update_

Above super User resp will allow user do setups in Inventory but he can't do cost update as Supervisor resp

EU_INV_CZE_Setup View Inventory EU_INV_CZE_SUVO EU_INV_CZE_ Setup View 1-Jan-90 Standard Inventory INV_SETUP All Inclusive GUI Inventory Yes

Question-2_
            When compared to 11i does R12 require any additional setups apart from New Resp, Menu, Submenu, Functions, Request Groups, Profile Options..?

Ans : No… since you are setting up resp for a single org now.

Hope this will help.

Thanks,
            S.P DASH

Edited by: spdash12 on Oct 22, 2009 11:25 AM
            • 3. Re: R12 Creation of Custom Responsibilities
              gareth.roberts
              There's no "better" option here - you can do either, and it depends on how close to a standard or existing custom menu your requirements are.
              If you only want to rule out 1 function from a standard menu, then second option is better.
              If you want a new responsibility with only a couple of functions, then new menu and responsibility is better...

As stated, no major diff's between 11i and R12.

Regards,
              Gareth