1 2 3 Previous Next 32 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2012 10:49 AM by Hans Forbrich RSS

This question is all over the web...

ChrisRDBA
      But I am reduced to re-posting it here, as I am unclear on the solution. For those of you who become annoyed at people like me, please forgive me, and realize that I've been banging my head up against the wall for several hours, desperately trying not to re-post this here.

With my disclaimer out of the way:

Oracle 11g
      CentOS 5
      Hostname = localhost.localdomain
      DB name = orcl

Listener refused the connection with the following error: ORA-12514, TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor The Connection descriptor used by the client was: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=localhost.localdomain)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=orcl.localdomain)))

Some important (at least I think so anyways) fun facts about my circumstances:

A) I just got this installed last night, and have made no changes since then.
      B) After a reboot, I am unable to start EM without getting the error "Environment variable ORACLE_UNQNAME not defined. Please set ORACLE_UNQNAME to database unique name. " Google quickly reveals that "export ORACLE_UNQNAME=orcl" will remedy this issue, which it indeed does.
      C) Here are my listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files. Compared to other Listener files I've seen, mine seems "inadequate" and to be lacking. Why would this be? Questions/ fun facts continued below.

#listener
      LISTENER =
      (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
      (DESCRIPTION =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1521))
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = localhost.localdomain)(PORT = 1521))
      )
      )

ADR_BASE_LISTENER = /home/oracle/app/oracle

#names
      ORCL =
      (DESCRIPTION =
      (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)
      (SERVICE_NAME = orcl.localdomain)
      )
      )

4) From reading other posts, I believe that the Listener is looking for a service in the name file that doesn't exist?

So my questions (finally):

1) If this service name is wrong, how do I know what it should be?
      2) Is my listener file incomplete?
      3) Is it a combination of both 1 and 2?
      4) Why would this occur after a fresh (plain vanilla) install?
        • 1. Re: This question is all over the web...
          You don't specify a service in your listener.ora,so it's received dynamically from parameter SERVICE_NAMES:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14237/initparams188.htm#i1133481

Issue 'lsnrctl status', which service do you see? Ensure it matches the entry in tnsnames.ora.

Werner

Additionally read this for basic informations:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28301/toc.htm

Edited by: oradba on Oct 28, 2009 9:35 PM
          • 2. Re: This question is all over the web...
            ChrisRDBA
            Sorry, I meant to post the output of the status in my original post, as I see that's a common request, and mine doesn't specify what I was expecting:

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 28-OCT-2009 13:35:28

Copyright (c) 1991, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Message 1053 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1020 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1021 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1022 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1023 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1026 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1034 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1024 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1025 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1040 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1033 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1028 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1415 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS Message 1050 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
            Message 1050 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
            Message 1030 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1052 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS[oracle@loc                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
            • 3. Re: This question is all over the web...
              riedelme
              Did you install on Windows or linux?

Here's a theory based on a lot of guesses. IF you installed oracle on a windows box (laptop) AND powered down at one site to power up at another your IP address may have changed - this can break Oracle and the web services. The solution to this problem is to install a loopback adaptor (there are articles about this online but I can't remember whether OTN or Metalink) before installing the database; the database does not require this and complains about it during installation.

Hopefully you can rule this one out.

Edited by: riedelme on Oct 28, 2009 1:39 PM
              • 4. Re: This question is all over the web...
                Niall Litchfield
                ChrisRDBA wrote:
                But I am reduced to re-posting it here, as I am unclear on the solution. For those of you who become annoyed at people like me, please forgive me, and realize that I've been banging my head up against the wall for several hours, desperately trying not to re-post this here.

Oracle 11g
                CentOS 5
                DB name = orcl

Listener refused the connection with the following error: ORA-12514, TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect descriptor The Connection descriptor used by the client was: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=localhost.localdomain)(PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=orcl.localdomain)))

B) After a reboot, I am unable to start EM without getting the error "Environment variable ORACLE_UNQNAME not defined. Please set ORACLE_UNQNAME to database unique name. " Google quickly reveals that "export ORACLE_UNQNAME=orcl" will remedy this issue, which it indeed does.
                C) Here are my listener.ora and tnsnames.ora files. Compared to other Listener files I've seen, mine seems "inadequate" and to be lacking. Why would this be? Questions/ fun facts continued below.

#listener
                LISTENER =
                (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
                (DESCRIPTION =
                )
                )

#names
                ORCL =
                (DESCRIPTION =
                (CONNECT_DATA =
                (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                )
                )

4) From reading other posts, I believe that the Listener is looking for a service in the name file that doesn't exist?

Hi

I thought I'd do inline comments, but actually probably that's not the best plan.

It used to be the case that the SID (not the service name) of the databases that a listener serviced were recorded in a SID_LIST section of the listener.ora file. This all changed with Oracle 8i (years ago in other words). Now though Oracle databases can register all the database services they provide (and the default one will have the form <sid>.<domain name> in your version) when the service starts up (usually with database start). So the single most likely thing in your case is that the database is not started following the reboot and therefore hasn't registered itself with the listener. You can verify this with the command
                lsnrctl services
                the output of which will either give you the real name of the service or tell you that the listener doesn't support any services. To start the database you'll need to set the ORACLE_SID environment variable and run the sqlplus startup command. Oracle supplies a shell script called oraenv which will help you run this either interactively or else in shell scripts. oraenv reads a file /etc/oratab which contains information about installed databases and whether to autostart them or not. Incidentally if this is the only DB on the server then I'd set ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME in the oracle accounts profile file.

regards

Niall Litchfield
                http://www.orawin.info/
                • 5. Re: This question is all over the web...
                  Niall Litchfield
                  ChrisRDBA wrote:
                  Sorry, I meant to post the output of the status in my original post, as I see that's a common request, and mine doesn't specify what I was expecting:

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 28-OCT-2009 13:35:28

Copyright (c) 1991, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Message 1053 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1020 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1021 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1022 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1023 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1026 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1034 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1024 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1025 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1040 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1033 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1028 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1415 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS Message 1050 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
                  Message 1050 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
                  Message 1030 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1052 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS[oracle@loc
                  That also is an artifact of not setting the oracle environment. At the shell type
                  . oraenv

.... then enter orcl for the SID 

lsnrctl services

... either post the output or if it shows no services then run 

sqlplus / as sysdba 
                  SQL>startup
                  SQL>exit
                  • 6. Re: This question is all over the web...
                    EdStevens
                    ChrisRDBA wrote:

Oracle 11g
                    CentOS 5
                    DB name = orcl

#listener
                    LISTENER =
                    (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
                    (DESCRIPTION =
                    )
                    )

#names
                    ORCL =
                    (DESCRIPTION =
                    (CONNECT_DATA =
                    (SERVER = DEDICATED)
                    )
                    )

listener doesn't look at the 'name' files (tnsnames.ora). Here's some basics for this point:

tnsnames.ora is used only by client processes to resolve a connection request to a specific host/port/service name. tnsnames.ora is the oracle tns layer equivilant of the os's 'hosts' file for host name to ip address resolution. In your file above, if your client requests a connection to 'orcl' it will be routed to whatever ip address the os determines is correct for 'localhost.localdomain' (see HOST = localhost.localdomain). If that ip address is found, the request will go there and be placed on port 1521 (see PORT = 1521). Hopefully, there will be an oracle listener on that box, listening on that port. If so, the listener will take that request for a connection to a service name 'orcl.localdomain' (see SERVICE_NAME = orcl.localdomain) and, if the listener knows about that service, it will create the connection, then step out of the picture and continue listening on port 1521 for more connection requests.

So how does the listener know what services to handle if it doesn't look at tnsnames.ora? Two ways. First, the older method of listing them in the SID_LIST section of the listener.ora file. Second, the database instance can self-register with the listener. How do you know what services the listener knows about? At a command prompt on the host machine, issue
                    c:> lsnrctl status
                    Also, just as tnsnames.ora is only used by client processes, listener.ora is used only by the listener, which is only a server-side process. Clients and servers can be on the same machine (and probably are in your case) but they are still distinct processes that must be kept in mind.

It's whatever you call it. Take a look at the SERVICE_NAMES initialization parameter in your database.
                    Not necessarily. But since you don't include a SID_LIST, you are depending on dynamic registration from your database. And I doubt if it registered with the name 'orcl.localdomain', which you specified in your tnsnames. Think of your tnsnames.ora as being an address book. You looked up the address of Mr. ORCL and found it to be at 1521 localhost.localdomain. But when you actually got to 1521 localhost.localdomain, you knocked on the door and asked for Mr. orcl.localdomain. I doubt if anyone by that name is there. You can find who does live there by using the lsnrctl command I showed you above.
                    Could be
                    Because this isn't MS. Oracle does not try to be smarter than you. You have to tell it what you want to call things.

Did you read the installation guide? Have you checked out the fine documentation at tahiti.oracle.com - starting with the 2-Day DBA guide?
                    • 7. Re: This question is all over the web...
                      ChrisRDBA
                      I sincerely appreciate everyones responses!!!

From what I can gather between the replies and the referenced documentation, I need to:

1) Set the .oraenv parameter. I did this by running oraenv in the /usr/local/bin directory. When asked, I typed orcl as the ORACLE_SID.

2) Ensure that the ORACLE_HOME location is set in my PATH environment variable. I did this by running "export PATH=$PATH:/home/oracle/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_2/OPatch".

3) Ran the ./lsnrctl services command, still produces "Message 1053 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1030 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1052 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS[oracle@localhost bin]$ "

4) Ran "./sqlplus / as sysdba", but still get "SP2-0667: Message file sp1<lang>.msb not found
                      SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME to your Oracle software directory" even though I did this in # 2.

Lots of information here thanks to you guys, but I think I'm missing the silver bullet.
                      • 8. Re: This question is all over the web...
                        Hans Forbrich
                        ChrisRDBA wrote:
                        1) Set the .oraenv parameter. I did this by running oraenv in the /usr/local/bin directory. When asked, I typed orcl as the ORACLE_SID.
                        Actually, what you want to do is RUN the /usr/local/bin/oraenv script TO SET the ORACLE_SID, ORACLE_HOME and PATH (as compared toi the next question you had, and as compared to your "set the .oraenv").

But running a command actually opens a new process, runs that and closes the process. Therefore running oraenv by itself will set the variables in the new process and the lose that setting when it closes that process.

Therefore you need to 'source' oraenv, by calling it using the syntax ". oraenv" (dot space oraenv) to override the natural tendancy to open a new process.

The values yoiu can enter in response to ORACLE_SID prompt are: (return) to accept the one shown; any SID found in the /etc/oratab file (see output from 'tail /etc/oratab')

Edited by: Hans Forbrich on Oct 28, 2009 4:28 PM
                        • 9. Re: This question is all over the web...
                          EdStevens
                          ChrisRDBA wrote:

From what I can gather between the replies and the referenced documentation, I need to:

oraenv is not a parameter to be set. It is a script to be run, and it sets some enviroment variables for you ... most notably the ORACLE_SID variable.
                          >
                          2) Ensure that the ORACLE_HOME location is set in my PATH environment variable. I did this by running "export PATH=$PATH:/home/oracle/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_2/OPatch".
                          Two problems here. First, you don't set ORACLE_HOME in your PATH, you set the 'bin' directory that is under ORACLE_HOME into your PATH ..

export ORACLE_HOME=/home/oracle/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_2
                          export PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/bin:$PATH

Second, that OPatch directory is only used when using opatch to apply a patch. I don't keep it in my PATH as a permanant feature, just add it manually when needed. It has nothing to do with your problem, except to serve as a red herring.
                          3) Ran the ./lsnrctl services command, still produces "Message 1053 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1030 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSMessage 1052 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS[oracle@localhost bin]$ "
                          Then you still don't have your ORACLE_HOME set correctly.

>
                          4) Ran "./sqlplus / as sysdba", but still get "SP2-0667: Message file sp1<lang>.msb not found
                          SP2-0750: You may need to set ORACLE_HOME to your Oracle software directory" even though I did this in # 2.
                          No you didn't. You set a totally irrelevant directory into your PATH. You did not show what you did for ORACLE_HOME, and the repeated errors about 'no message file found' is clear evidence you have not properly set ORACLE_HOME.

>
                          Lots of information here thanks to you guys, but I think I'm missing the silver bullet.
                          • 10. Re: This question is all over the web...
                            Niall Litchfield
                            ChrisRDBA wrote:

as Hans points out there is a space between the . and the oraenv. This is important
                            >
                            Opatch is a patch utility and not the path to the Oracle binaries themselves. They live in $ORACLE_HOME/bin. Again the oraenv script will set (and export) the PATH environment variable appropiately for you.
                            >

The last 2 statements are artifacts of your setting ORACLE_HOME incorrectly or not at all.
                            • 11. Re: This question is all over the web...
                              Niall Litchfield
                              so I have an example for you.

Like you I have 11g R2 on Centos 5(.3 )

I'll start with a clean oracle environment, no variables set. nothing running.
                              [oracle@centos53vm ~]$ env|grep ORA
                              [oracle@centos53vm ~]$ ps -ef |grep ora
                              root      3473  3451  0 13:50 ?        00:00:00 hald-addon-storage: polling /dev/hdc
                              root      4154  3254  0 14:06 ?        00:00:00 sshd: oracle [priv]
                              oracle    4156  4154  0 14:06 ?        00:00:00 sshd: oracle@pts/1
                              oracle    4157  4156  0 14:06 pts/1    00:00:00 -bash
                              oracle    4270  4157  0 14:09 pts/1    00:00:00 ps -ef
                              oracle    4271  4157  0 14:09 pts/1    00:00:00 grep ora
                              next source the Oracle environment my sid is db11gr2
                              [oracle@centos53vm ~]$ . oraenv
                              ORACLE_SID = [orcl] ? db11gr2
                              ORACLE_BASE environment variable is not being set since this
                              information is not available for the current user ID oracle.
                              You can set ORACLE_BASE manually if it is required.
                              [oracle@centos53vm ~]$ env|grep ORA
                              ORACLE_SID=db11gr2
                              ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1

[oracle@centos53vm ~]$ env|grep PATH
                              LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/lib
                              PATH=/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/bin
                              [oracle@centos53vm ~]$
                              so now the path and the environment are set.
                              [oracle@centos53vm ~]$ lsnrctl start

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 29-OCT-2009 14:12:59

Copyright (c) 1991, 2009, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Starting /app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/bin/tnslsnr: please wait...

TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
                              System parameter file is /app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/network/admin/listener.ora
                              Log messages written to /app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/diag/tnslsnr/centos53vm/listener/alert/log.xml
                              Listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=centos53vm)(PORT=1521)))

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=centos53vm)(PORT=1521)))
                              STATUS of the LISTENER
                              ------------------------
                              Alias                     LISTENER
                              Version                   TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
                              Start Date                29-OCT-2009 14:13:00
                              Uptime                    0 days 0 hr. 0 min. 1 sec
                              Trace Level               off
                              Security                  ON: Local OS Authentication
                              SNMP                      OFF
                              Listener Parameter File   /app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/network/admin/listener.ora
                              Listener Log File         /app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1/diag/tnslsnr/centos53vm/listener/alert/log.xml
                              Listening Endpoints Summary...
                                (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=centos53vm)(PORT=1521)))
                              The listener supports no services
                              The command completed successfully
                              now if I try to connect I get your error.
                              [oracle@centos53vm ~]$ sqlplus system/db11gr2@db11gr2

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Thu Oct 29 14:14:23 2009

Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

ERROR:
                              ORA-12514: TNS:listener does not currently know of service requested in connect
                              descriptor
                              so I'll startup the db (and wait 60s for registration and to type this)
                              Enter user-name: / as sysdba
                              Connected to an idle instance.

SQL> startup
                              ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area  619360256 bytes
                              Fixed Size                  1338280 bytes
                              Variable Size             423625816 bytes
                              Database Buffers          188743680 bytes
                              Redo Buffers                5652480 bytes
                              Database mounted.
                              Database opened.
                              SQL> exit
                              Disconnected from Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
                              With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options
                              now the listener knows about the service
                              [oracle@centos53vm ~]$ lsnrctl services

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 29-OCT-2009 14:16:36

Copyright (c) 1991, 2009, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=centos53vm)             (PORT=1521)))
                              Services Summary...
                              Service "db11gr2" has 1 instance(s).
                                Instance "db11gr2", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                                  Handler(s):
                                    "DEDICATED" established:0 refused:0 state:ready
                                       LOCAL SERVER
                              and remote connection works.
                              [oracle@centos53vm ~]$ sqlplus system/db11gr2@db11gr2

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Thu Oct 29 14:18:15 2009

Copyright (c) 1982, 2009, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connected to:
                              Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
                              With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options

SQL>
                              so follow the same route, and use the supplied scripts and you should be good to go.

Niall Litchfield
                              http://www.orawin.info/
                              • 12. Re: This question is all over the web...
                                Fahd.Mirza
                                Niall, very lucid example. The gist is that environment setting is the key to resolve this issue.

regards
                                • 13. Re: This question is all over the web...
                                  ChrisRDBA
                                  OMG this was awful!!!

I now see why most people like me (no Linux background) just install on Windows. I just figured that if I was going to do it, I might as well do it right. Thanks to all that have assisted. Theres obviously a lot to digest in the docs but I think I'm now on my way.

Thanks again to all!!!

Edited by: ChrisRDBA on Oct 29, 2009 7:15 PM
                                  • 14. Re: This question is all over the web...
                                    EdStevens
                                    ChrisRDBA wrote:
                                    OMG this was awful!!!

I now see why most people like me (no Linux background) just install on Windows. I just figured that if I was going to do it, I might as well do it right. Thanks to all that have assisted. Theres obviously a lot to digest in the docs but I think I'm now on my way.

Thanks again to all!!!

Edited by: ChrisRDBA on Oct 29, 2009 7:15 PM
                                    It's just a matter of being familiar with the OS on which you are installing. Having worked with both Windows and nix, and feeling equally comfortable with my knowledge level on each, I actually find Oracle easier* to install and work with on *nix. 

In my career I've worked on several OS's - IBM S-360 and it's derivitives/descendents, PC-DOS, Windows (from its earliest inception forward), OS/2, MVS, Solaris, AIX, HP-UX. Every one seems strange and difficult at first, but eventually you reach an 'a-ha!' moment when the architecture suddenly comes into focus and you start to really see how all the dots are connected. And for me, the more things come into focus, the more I dislike Windows!
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next