4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2009 7:57 AM by 732134 RSS

migrating berkeley database from windows XP to linux box (Ubuntu 9.10)

I am in the process of migrating from Windows XP to Linux (Unbuntu 9.10). As part of the migration process, I need to migrate a larg(ish) BDB database (approx 5Gb) from my XP machine to the Linux machine.

Note: The berkeley database was created using version 4.7.25 of the berkeley library, but I have installed the latest version (4.8) on the Linux machine.

I have the following questions:

Can anyone tell me :

1). how I may move the database (folder and files) to the Linux machine
      2). Is v1.8 backward compatable with version 4.7.25 ?
        • 1. Re: migrating berkeley database from windows XP to linux box (Ubuntu 9.10)
          Oracle, Sandra Whitman
          Hello,

Regarding 4.8 being backward compatible with 4.7.25 from the
          Release 4.8 Upgrade Requirements documented at:
          http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/db/programmer_reference/upgrade_4_8_disk.html

The log file format changed in the Berkeley DB 4.8 release.
          No database formats changed in the Berkeley DB 4.8 release.

Thanks,
          Sandra
          • 2. Re: migrating berkeley database from windows XP to linux box (Ubuntu 9.10)
            Hi Sandra,

Thanks for the response. Regarding the other question, perhaps I ought to rephrase it.

Can I use a berkley database that was created on a Windows machine, on another platform supported by the Berkley Db (i.e.ignoring how to physically transfer the files), once I have managed to transfer the files from one machine to another (from one OS to another), can I continue to use the db?.

This is quite important since one of the main attractions of the Berkley Db was the fact that it was cross platform - as I had always planned to move to the *nix environment from windows - I just need confirmaton that this will be as "seamless" as the documentation seems to suggest.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
            • 3. Re: migrating berkeley database from windows XP to linux box (Ubuntu 9.10)
              Oracle, Sandra Whitman
              Hello,

Thank you for clarifying. From the "Database environment introduction" section of the Berkeley DB Reference Guide at:
              http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/db/programmer_reference/env.html#env_intro

From there:
              A Berkeley DB environment is an encapsulation of one or more databases, log files and region files. Region files are the shared memory areas that contain information about the database environment such as memory pool cache pages. Only databases are byte-order independent and only database files can be moved between machines of different byte orders. Log files can be moved between machines of the same byte order. Region files are usually unique to a specific machine and potentially to a specific operating system release.

So yes, database files can be moved between machines.

Thanks,
              Sandra
              • 4. Re: migrating berkeley database from windows XP to linux box (Ubuntu 9.10)
                Hi Sandra,

Thank you kindly, for your prompt response. I shall read the suggested documentation carefullly, if I have any further questions, I will be sure to let you know.