4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2009 6:41 AM by S.PDASH

Role of Buyers

user11303545
      Hi,

I am new to Purchasing module and would like to know more about the role of buyer. Do buyer have anything to do with creating a requisition and is buyer setup required if i do only PO Approval and Requisition Approval ?

Thanks,
      Shilpa
        • 1. Re: Role of Buyers
          S.PDASH
          Hi,

Your question 1 : What's the role of a Buyer
          Ans : In simple, The buyer is the bridge between the corporation and the supply base. When built on a strong foundation it delivers value added services to both parties. The corporation must recognize the fundamental and important role of the buyer in delivering goods and services that are in line with corporate objectives.

Basically a buyer is an employee of an organization..

Your question 2 : Do buyer have anything to do with creating a requisition ?
          Ans : No... Any employee can create a requisition which is used for internal purpose only... and the person need not to be a buyer (may be a person belongs to your say Admin Dept putting requsition for office Printer paper)..

Your question 3 : Do buyer setup required if i do only PO Approval and Requisition Approval ?
          Ans : You don't need any buyer setup for requisition Approval or for other requisition activities where as you need to define yourself as a Buyer for creating a PO or approving a PO. You even can't open PO form if you are not set as a Buyer. To access PO form you need to be a buyer.. This is a prerequisite.

Hope above explanation will help.

Regards, :)
          S.P DASH
          • 2. Re: Role of Buyers
            user11303545
            Thanks Much. It was indeed very helpful.

I have one more setup challenge regarding Requisition Approval which we are setting up using Supervisor Hierarchy.

Requisition creator does not have authority to approve the requisitions. Prior to routing to the requisitioner's supervisor, there's a contractor that the requisitioner's forward to, that is a checkpoint - this contractor should never approve the requisitions, only check them and then forward to the requisitioners supervisor to then follow the approval workflow we have setup. Problem is the only way the requisitioner can forward to contractor successfully is if he has a higher approval limit that the requisition.

I guess this is not the way it works for PO's - you can foward a PO to someone who doesn't have full authority to approve, but it will just follow the chain.

Thanks,
            Shilpa.
            • 3. Re: Role of Buyers
              S.PDASH
              Hi,
              It would have been nice if you could use another thread for your new set of questions.... :)

What I understood from your question is that you have

1) Requisition creator / Requester
              2) Contractor
              3) Final approval authority

and condtions are :

a) Requisition creator does not have authority to approve the requisitions.

b) there's a contractor that the requisitioner's forward to --> Is it a normal practise in your business?? by forwarding requisition to someone means you are deviating from the normal approval hierarchy/process.. Why you need a person in between who is just there to validate...? If you are forced to follow this approach then you have to do the job manually all the time as you can't keep the CONTRACTOR in the Approval hierarchy..

You mentioned : Problem is, the only way the requisitioner can forward to contractor successfully is if he has a higher approval limit that the requisition.
              this is not correct... We don't think when you forward to someone, system doesnot check what's the approval limit of the person who is forwarding... correct me if I am wrong here..

*Forwarding job you can handle through setup of Document type : Requsition.. make sure "Can Change Forward-To", "approver can modify", "owner Can approve" etc. options are checked in setup (PO resp : Setup --> Purchasing --> Document Types {requisition}*

c) After validation of the requisition, the contractor will forward to the requisitioner's supervisor... Now the approval will follow the normal approval process as defined for the requsitioner once the contractor try to approve the requisition.

Let me re-iterate, when you forward someone in PO for approval, it's like a temporary deviation from normal approval process, when the forwarded person try to approves it it will back to the normal approval procss of initial requestor.

Hope I answered your question correctly... Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
              S.P DASH
              • 4. Re: Role of Buyers
                S.PDASH
                Hi,
                In your last reply you mentioned that the document indeed helped you to clarify your doubts and it is usefull.. then would you mind to mark the portion of the thread which are useful?.. I am not greedy about points but if you mark the threads which are usefull it will indeed help others to refer in future. It's like you verified the answer and approving others to refer.

Regards,
                S.P DASH