This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2009 8:14 PM by Surachart Opun RSS

How to add new new listener & VIP to the existing Oracle 10gR2 Clusterware

739556 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Scenaroi: relocate the database with 2 instances on the 2 existing Oracle RAC DB servers.

Q: 1) should I create or register resources for the new LISTENERs and VIP? The LISTENER and VIP will not use the existing LISTENER or VIP.
2) how many resorces and in what sequences to register or create with the existing Oracle Clusterware? Should start the DB first, and then complete the rest taks?

Please advise, thanks.
  • 1. Re: How to add new new listener & VIP to the existing Oracle 10gR2 Clusterware
    Surachart Opun Oracle ACE
    Currently Being Moderated
    user3392221 wrote:
    Scenaroi: relocate the database with 2 instances on the 2 existing Oracle RAC DB servers.
    do you relocate to RAC DB(existed)?

    I on existing Oracle RAC DB servers have VIP + LISTENER(existing). You don't need to create new listener. and On RAC DB uses 1 VIP/Server onlyt.
    Q: 1) should I create or register resources for the new LISTENERs and VIP? The LISTENER and VIP will not use the existing LISTENER or VIP.
    If on existing RAC have VIP/LISTENER. don't create/ register new...
    2) how many resorces and in what sequences to register or create with the existing Oracle Clusterware? Should start the DB first, and then complete the rest taks?
    i'm not sure resource number on RAC.
    If you'll register database into existing Oracle Clusterware, you don't need to startup database before.
    - register database
    srvctl add database -d database_name -o ORACLE_HOME -p SPFILE_FILE -y AUTOMATIC

    Example:
    $ srvctl add database -d racdb -o /u01/oracle/db_1 -p /dev/raw/raw3 -y AUTOMATIC
    $ srvctl config database -d racdb -a

    - register instance each of node.
    srvctl add instance -d database_name -i instance_name -n node_name
    Example:
    $ srvctl add instance -d racdb -i racdb1 -n node01
    $ srvctl add instance -d racdb -i racdb2 -n node02

    - check and start database by "srvctl"
    $ srvctl config database -d racdb -a
    $ srvctl start database -d racdb


    Good Luck
  • 2. Re: How to add new new listener & VIP to the existing Oracle 10gR2 Clusterware
    739556 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Thanks so much! It is very helpful.

    Condition 1: The 2 dbs relocated on the existing servers are using different VIP, and it will also keep the VIP.
    2: A new listener will need it to associate with the VIP, so it needs to create another listener.

    Please advise to add different VIP and LISTENRE to the existing servers.

    I really appreciate your help, thanks again!!!
  • 3. Re: How to add new new listener & VIP to the existing Oracle 10gR2 Clusterware
    Surachart Opun Oracle ACE
    Currently Being Moderated
    user3392221 wrote:
    Thanks so much! It is very helpful.

    Condition 1: The 2 dbs relocated on the existing servers are using different VIP, and it will also keep the VIP.
    2: A new listener will need it to associate with the VIP, so it needs to create another listener.

    Please advise to add different VIP and LISTENRE to the existing servers.

    I really appreciate your help, thanks again!!!
    OK.. I'm not sure I get your idea...
    But On Oracle RAC: I assume on one node... Oracle recommends to use one VIP for all databases on that node.

    If you use third party application , that should use 1 VIP/application (because it uses VIP for fail over)
  • 4. Re: How to add new new listener & VIP to the existing Oracle 10gR2 Clusterware
    739556 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    I see, 1 VIP for all databases which is Oracle's recommendation. I will check the VIP on all of the servers now, and find out.
    Per metalink and Oracle Docs, srvctl can not new LISTENER with 10.2...., is there any other command to create new listener? The netca is not install on the server, I do not really add netca for this purpose.
    Please continue helping, I really appreciate. Thanks again!
  • 5. Re: How to add new new listener & VIP to the existing Oracle 10gR2 Clusterware
    Surachart Opun Oracle ACE
    Currently Being Moderated
    user3392221 wrote:
    I see, 1 VIP for all databases which is Oracle's recommendation. I will check the VIP on all of the servers now, and find out.
    Per metalink and Oracle Docs, srvctl can not new LISTENER with 10.2...., is there any other command to create new listener? The netca is not install on the server, I do not really add netca for this purpose.
    Please continue helping, I really appreciate. Thanks again!
    Actually On one node only uses on a Listener as well.
    If you check:
    $ netstat -lt | grep 1521
    tcp 0 0 oratest01:1521 *:* LISTEN
    tcp 0 0 oratest01-virtual:1521 *:* LISTEN

    You'll see listener port bind on Public IP as well.
    If you need to separate listener for each database, you may use new listener with new port.

    netca is only command to manage LISTENER, listener file and manage to CRS as well.
    "srvctl" can add listener, but we have to modify listener.ora file by ourselves.

    Please tell use, why do you separate Listeners for each database ?

    Edited by: Surachart Opun (HunterX) on Dec 8, 2009 12:31 PM
  • 6. Re: How to add new new listener & VIP to the existing Oracle 10gR2 Clusterware
    739556 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated
    Thanks for the reply again!

    The situation, with DoD, only allow to use the default port. Since 2 database under the CRS, the solution is to assign different IP for each DB.

    Regarding the listener, the team will create listener manually, and then use crs_register with LISTENER_SERVER_NAME.cap to register the listener.

    I tested the registration, I have seen the component for the new listener.

    Now 1 more question, does the following is necessary to active the VIP for the coming DB:

    1) Change the owner of the resource as root:
         $ crs_setperm <network> –o root
    2) Enable the db user to run the script as root:
         $ crs_setperm <network> –u user:oracle:r-x
    3) Start the VIP address as db_user:
         $ crs_start <network>

    Please advise, and I really appreciate the hlp.
  • 7. Re: How to add new new listener & VIP to the existing Oracle 10gR2 Clusterware
    Surachart Opun Oracle ACE
    Currently Being Moderated
    user3392221 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply again!

    The situation, with DoD, only allow to use the default port. Since 2 database under the CRS, the solution is to assign different IP for each DB.

    Regarding the listener, the team will create listener manually, and then use crs_register with LISTENER_SERVER_NAME.cap to register the listener.

    I tested the registration, I have seen the component for the new listener.

    Now 1 more question, does the following is necessary to active the VIP for the coming DB:

    1) Change the owner of the resource as root:
         $ crs_setperm <network> –o root
    2) Enable the db user to run the script as root:
         $ crs_setperm <network> –u user:oracle:r-x
    3) Start the VIP address as db_user:
         $ crs_start <network>

    Please advise, and I really appreciate the hlp.
    Yes... you should make oracle user to run start VIP .
    I just curious about your situation, why do you separate LISTENER on RAC.
    Do you have plan to separate LISTENER Process with ORACLE_HOME or anything?

Legend

  • Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points