- 3,676,119 Users
- 9,601 Discussions
- 13,909 Comments
Legacy Email Campaign Governance in an Enterprise Corporation
With any enterprise company, one will have legacy systems and processes. With email automation, it’s particularly precarious when managing legacy campaigns. It is important to apply a consistent and regular governance procedure around automated campaigns, taking particular note of additional functionality in Eloqua, as well as being aware of and creative with data that you have available to you.
In this example, our legacy campaign had not been updated in about two years. There were a number of issues with the campaign stemming from not maintaining a proper governance review. The result was that there were too many emails going out to contacts. Recipients were feeling overwhelmed and unsubscribing.
After refining our segmentation (Fundamentals of Segmentation – updated and refined the campaign segment) and making sure that we were targeting our audience correctly, we made updates to the time span that the campaign was executed. For this campaign, we decided that we didn’t want the email to go out to anyone who had been a customer for more than 90 days. Prior to this, the limitation was two years. This resulted in a more timely and relevant communication and 30% reduction of email sends.
Following the RPM class, we knew that it was important to continue to monitor the success of this campaign following the update. Having contacts flowing into the campaign continually requires frequent updates to the segment contingent on business concerns.
The existing campaign also leveraged dynamic content in the body of the email. The email was leveraging dynamic signatures for personalized one to one communications as well as dynamic greetings and logos. Making sure that the right message and call to action were delivered to the right person at the right time is key to the success of this campaign.The resulting message provided a very compelling call to action. The campaign was now overwhelming our support team because contacts were reaching out and setting meetings for low priority concerns.
With fewer emails going out to a better segment of contacts, we started getting much more of a positive response. Our campaign was more effective than our support team was able to keep up with. We needed to be able to focus their time more strategically. For this, we added another dynamic element to the copy of the email. We made the dynamic element a call to action that only presented to high level contacts leveraging the title contact field -- and removing the call to action completely for lower level managers and supervisors. For lower priority contacts, they would receive a standard instructional email.
Following classes on dynamic content and segmentation, we were able to build a campaign that produced the desired outcome of finding decision makers and connecting our sales team with them to conduct further business. After refreshing the legacy campaign,, we were able to see a 30% decrease in the number of emails that were going out. Following the dynamic call to action for high level executives we were better able to attain a much more strategically focused work flow for our support team. In the first week following the campaign update, our support team was able to secure an event.