• 3,678,219 Users
  • 7,785 Discussions
  • 13,066 Comments

Discussions

A Message to Our Customers

pteshima
pteshima Posts: 7
edited Oct 1, 2012 3:37PM in Eloqua System Status

It has been three weeks since our September 9th release (also known as R3).  Although the release contained many benefits for our customers, we had both performance and stability issues during the week right after the release. Although these issues were identified and resolved quickly, we are disappointed in our own performance and want to be transparent on what occurred and why. The stability issues around campaign canvas were due to incomplete QA testing processes. Simply put, this was human error. Our team mis-communicated and some of our test cases were not completed as they should have been.  We are adding a better tracking system and establishing new checks and balances so that this type of human error does not happen again.

The performance issues were due to a couple of different factors.  This release introduced a new set of services designed to improve security (including two-factor authentication).  These new services access our shared database services platform and this area of the application was overwhelmed.  While troubleshooting this area last week we discovered that a critical defragmentation routine had been inexplicably turned off, thus further exacerbating the issue.  By turning this routine back on and by re-allocating additional virtual memory, we have been able to return our performance to pre-release levels.  We have taken this opportunity to start a number of new projects to substantially improve performance in key bottlenecks in the application and you will see results from these efforts over the next few months.

In addition, we are adding more resources to both our production environment and QA team, to be more proactive in how to identify and address these types of issues - so they do not impact your use of Eloqua in the future.

We wanted to extend our sincerest apologies, as we know you rely on Eloqua to be the marketing platform for your business, and when our system is not working correctly, you cannot be successful in your marketing efforts.

Thanks for the ongoing support - and thank you for being part of the Eloqua community.

Paul Teshima

SVP Product Management

Tagged:

Comments

• schwartzrw
    schwartzrw Posts: 25 Silver Trophy

Thanks for the explanation Paul - much appreciated!

• pringer77
    pringer77 Posts: 7 Silver Trophy

Thanks Paul...good to know you guys are handling it and taking away our frustration!

• autumn.coleman
    autumn.coleman Posts: 24 Silver Trophy

Thanks for the update and honesty, Paul. Growth from error is often times the best kind. :) Still an Eloqua Advocate, Autumn

• krista.seidemann
    krista.seidemann Posts: 30 Gold Trophy

At SurePayroll, our CEO awards our biggest new mistakes each year with a cash prize. We are a firm believer that you learn from your mistakes. I'm sure the good folks at Eloqua will only get better from the setbacks experienced during last month's release. Thanks for the update.

• Thanks for your comments, and thanks for your ongoing support. 

• Thanks for the update but please let us know what's happening sooner. We are still experiencing delays and that's a big issue for our business.  I know there are system issues going on right now as my campaign tries to send but just sits there and there is no system status update to be found.

• Cheli
    Cheli Posts: 56 Gold Badge

I totally agree and sympathize with Steve, but having come from an applications support environment in my previous job, it's up to the users (us!) to make sure we are doing our due diligence in reporting these issues too. As much as the back end is monitoring, they are not always aware of everything--it's the users that are in the thick of things--so reporting items like this immediately helps them to help us!

And probably via Topliners is not the best way (to report an issue).  I did that a few weeks ago and it wasn't seen as quickly as when I actually reported another issue via the Support portal.

Again, I would also love to see more timely communication, but I know I have to do my part too.

• Mary Wallace
    Mary Wallace Posts: 21 Silver Badge

Thanks Paul.  Appreciate knowing the cause and that in the future this situation will be mitigated.