Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be able to reorder form processing steps once added

trinh.lien
trinh.lien Posts: 1
edited January 2016 in Dream It

I think it would be great if we could reorder the form processing steps once they've been added in the left bar area instead of being stuck with the order that you originally added them. If you're building a form with a lot of processing steps like a preference center management form, you can easily get disorganized as you add new email groups and other steps.

Post edited by Unknown User on
81 votes

For future consideration · Last Updated

Comments

• Sara Howes-Oracle
    Sara Howes-Oracle Posts: 23 Green Ribbon

Great suggestion! We agree this would be a useful enhancement and will consider it for future implementation.

Cheers,

Sara Howes

Senior Product Manager

• Great suggestion! We agree this would be a useful enhancement and will consider it for future implementation.

Cheers,

Sara Howes

Senior Product Manager

Hi,

Yes I think it is a good idea. But I need to get a confirmation .

I was told by Eloqua support that the order (position in the pile) has no effect on the way tasks are executed.

I still have doubt about this. let me explain.  In step 2 I have  "Run integration Rule" to push lead to salesforce.  Then in step 6 I find " associate with Campaign"....

but In Salesforce the lead is not associated with any campaign ! Then I still believe that the order of tasks pile  has something to do with it.

Can you confirm this point

regards

• Hi,

I was told by Eloqua support that the order (position in the pile) has no effect on the way tasks are executed.

I still have doubt about this. let me explain.  In step 2 I have  "Run integration Rule" to push lead to salesforce.  Then in step 6 I find " associate with Campaign"....

but In Salesforce the lead is not associated with any campaign ! Then I still believe that the order of tasks pile  has something to do with it.

regards

@cvieillard Are you on E9 or E10? Either way you may be using the Associate to Campaign incorrectly. Most likely you want to map a hidden field with the correct SFDC campaign id to create that association.

• Alexander Huzar
    Alexander Huzar Posts: 80 Red Ribbon

Hi,

regards

The top-down order of processing steps DOES get executed despite what everyone seems to say. There are exceptions though which cause massive headaches. I use an "update contacts with form data" as a last step which maps [email protected] to hide the form submit activity from a contact's record (useful for hiding form submit app step activity from profiler which Sales people look at) and as long as this one is the last step all is well. However, when I'm doing this, any write-to-CDO steps would result in the mapped contact being [email protected] instead of what I set up in the field mapping for Email-->Email.

I know and can confirm that the top-down order DOES work because you can do things like write-->append-->append-->append and each and every time it will assemble the data in the correct order as per top-down execution or processing steps. As such I 100% agree with you that this feature request is very overdue for production.

• Joel Rothman-Oracle
    Joel Rothman-Oracle Posts: 41 Silver Trophy

The top-down order of processing steps DOES get executed despite what everyone seems to say. There are exceptions though which cause massive headaches. I use an "update contacts with form data" as a last step which maps [email protected] to hide the form submit activity from a contact's record (useful for hiding form submit app step activity from profiler which Sales people look at) and as long as this one is the last step all is well. However, when I'm doing this, any write-to-CDO steps would result in the mapped contact being [email protected] instead of what I set up in the field mapping for Email-->Email.

I know and can confirm that the top-down order DOES work because you can do things like write-->append-->append-->append and each and every time it will assemble the data in the correct order as per top-down execution or processing steps. As such I 100% agree with you that this feature request is very overdue for production.

Order matters for sure. Think about conditional processing steps.

@Alexander Huzar, I kind of don't understand your activity comment. Or, actually, I do understand it, but I am not sure that's the best way. Is this through the form submission app?

• Alexander Huzar

Order matters for sure. Think about conditional processing steps.

@Alexander Huzar, I kind of don't understand your activity comment. Or, actually, I do understand it, but I am not sure that's the best way. Is this through the form submission app?

@Joel Rothman-Oracle we at Ceridian are doing contact deduplication, then writing the campaign information to the primary email address. In order to do so in an automated way, a form submit is the only way of taking data from contact A and writing it to contact B. Now, since it is a form submit and we are writing to the contact record ("Update Contact - With Form Data"), this means there will be an undesired form submit activity on a contact record. It is undesired because we have 400+ sales users who look at Eloqua profiler to see their contacts' and leads' activity history. As they are sales they would get confused by an automated form submit. For this reason we hide it. You are welcome to look in our instance - program canvas ID 37, step name "Generic - NOT Tradeshow Automation" (Form ID#1466) and step name "Tradeshow automation (Contact Fields Only)" (Form ID#1474). There's another step "Tradeshow Automation (CDO Fields Only)" (Form ID#1514) that writes to the CDOs separately because by avoiding writing to the contact record prevents a form submission activity of being generated under any contact. I'd also be more than happy to talk with you directly if needed.

This program (ID#37) is part of our Markie award submissions for this year for "best lead management program" by the way, more specifically the processing being done on the CDO "99NA-GCS (Global Campaign Store)" which aggregates campaign responses in a way that the "E10 briefcase step" never could. Our main challenge is being able to have a way to create/update CDOs and the ONLY way of doing this right now is through a form submit app. Unfortunately, this is limited to 2,500-3,000 submissions per hour per canvas which is very low. The Contact Washing Machine App step can do 1 million in 10 minutes. Update rules are almost as fast, but they cannot work with large text fields, cannot write to other contacts and cannot create/update CDOs. I mentioned to @Prasanna-Oracle when we first got Program Canvas that a step to write to CDOs directly was sorely needed, but was not available.

• Joel Rothman-Oracle
    Joel Rothman-Oracle Posts: 41 Silver Trophy

@Joel Rothman-Oracle we at Ceridian are doing contact deduplication, then writing the campaign information to the primary email address. In order to do so in an automated way, a form submit is the only way of taking data from contact A and writing it to contact B. Now, since it is a form submit and we are writing to the contact record ("Update Contact - With Form Data"), this means there will be an undesired form submit activity on a contact record. It is undesired because we have 400+ sales users who look at Eloqua profiler to see their contacts' and leads' activity history. As they are sales they would get confused by an automated form submit. For this reason we hide it. You are welcome to look in our instance - program canvas ID 37, step name "Generic - NOT Tradeshow Automation" (Form ID#1466) and step name "Tradeshow automation (Contact Fields Only)" (Form ID#1474). There's another step "Tradeshow Automation (CDO Fields Only)" (Form ID#1514) that writes to the CDOs separately because by avoiding writing to the contact record prevents a form submission activity of being generated under any contact. I'd also be more than happy to talk with you directly if needed.

This program (ID#37) is part of our Markie award submissions for this year for "best lead management program" by the way, more specifically the processing being done on the CDO "99NA-GCS (Global Campaign Store)" which aggregates campaign responses in a way that the "E10 briefcase step" never could. Our main challenge is being able to have a way to create/update CDOs and the ONLY way of doing this right now is through a form submit app. Unfortunately, this is limited to 2,500-3,000 submissions per hour per canvas which is very low. The Contact Washing Machine App step can do 1 million in 10 minutes. Update rules are almost as fast, but they cannot work with large text fields, cannot write to other contacts and cannot create/update CDOs. I mentioned to @Prasanna-Oracle when we first got Program Canvas that a step to write to CDOs directly was sorely needed, but was not available.

Ok, cool.

I am not discrediting the ask of re-ordering processing steps, but I am going to recommend you create a separate "Dream It" post for the ability to control if the form submission app creates activities or not.

• Jennifer Gruninger
    Jennifer Gruninger Posts: 7 Blue Ribbon

We will also benefit from this feature at Dell!

• Alexander Huzar

FYI, something that has been clarified to me by @Chris Seepe - (please correct me if this is incorrect) each form processing has a sequentially-generated ID just like Eloqua contacts and custom object records. Form processing steps are displayed in order of this ID, with the exception being that certain re-ordering does occur - e.g. not possible to put a "send to program" step above an "update contacts - with form data" step. As such there are several classes of steps. The ask here with this thread is to change the fundamental way that Eloqua orders the processing steps - instead of a brute-force reliance on the processing step ID, instead to rely on a form-local ID, at least for the same "class" of processing step. I'm imagining that this would necessitate a new table on the back-end to keep track of this, but the amount of hours this would save everyone would be quite profound.

• Chris Seepe
    Chris Seepe Posts: 16 Bronze Badge
    edited December 2017

FYI, something that has been clarified to me by @Chris Seepe - (please correct me if this is incorrect) each form processing has a sequentially-generated ID just like Eloqua contacts and custom object records. Form processing steps are displayed in order of this ID, with the exception being that certain re-ordering does occur - e.g. not possible to put a "send to program" step above an "update contacts - with form data" step. As such there are several classes of steps. The ask here with this thread is to change the fundamental way that Eloqua orders the processing steps - instead of a brute-force reliance on the processing step ID, instead to rely on a form-local ID, at least for the same "class" of processing step. I'm imagining that this would necessitate a new table on the back-end to keep track of this, but the amount of hours this would save everyone would be quite profound.

@Alexander Huzar, here is a working example on how to reorder form processing steps:

Reordering_Form_Processing_Steps_2017-12-06_1719.swf

It's hosted on Screencast.com and requires Flash - Firefox should work if Chrome doesn't. It is also available for download from the same page (see Details) if in-browser playback doesn't work.

The process shown in the video can even be made into an AppCloud Menu Service relatively easily, removing the need to manually mess around with JSON and the REST API, assuming the process works reliably in all situations (I haven't tested it extensively).

Either way, the point is, it looks like it's not necessary to re-architect the form processing steps tables, and a potential solution is just a quick REST API call away.

• This feature could not happen soon enough!  Is there an update to the feasibility or possibility of it being added?

• Alexander Huzar

No, it hasn't. Segmentation reordering - yes. Form processing steps - no.