Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

View link click-through data on landing pages

heather.dispain
heather.dispain Posts: 9 Bronze Badge
edited September 2015 in Dream It

Eloqua should offer an Email Clickthrough Link Breakdown report for landing pages, just like they do for emails. You can check all of the Manage Links boxes, but it doesn't give you any link specific reporting. We use Google Analytics to make up for this gap, and I see on Topliners that some people create blind form submissions for each link, but there needs to be an easier out-of-the-box function.

110 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Sara Howes-Oracle
    Sara Howes-Oracle Posts: 23 Green Ribbon

Great suggestion, Heather, thank you for sharing.

Sara Howes

Senior Product Manager

• Hello

so, does Eloqua offer the click through report for landing pages? Or is there any type of a heat map I could view on the landing page?

Mon.

• Alexander Huzar
    Alexander Huzar Posts: 80 Red Ribbon

Easy solution = Classic Insight > Reports and Dashboards > Website > "Exit Pages by Page View"

This thing you're asking for here will add significant delays for page transitions and more processing on Eloqua back-end. I don't think they will ever do this just out of performance reasons. To further complicate matters, "spiders" from search engines (e.g. Google) routinely "click" on hyperlinks to navigate to connected pages as a part of their automated site ranking via analysis. Each of these automated clicks would be an erroneous +1 in your reporting that would be hard to filter out. Also, some browsers would throw an error for "too many redirects" in some cases which is another worry.

Honestly, I think that Eloqua development has much bigger fish to fry instead of trying to implement this, which could easily introduce more issues that it would solve for.

• mcalnan
    mcalnan Posts: 16 Silver Badge

I'm also getting a lot of requests from my users for a click through report or a heat map, any idea on what the ETA would be for this be deployed?

• Alexander Huzar

I'm also getting a lot of requests from my users for a click through report or a heat map, any idea on what the ETA would be for this be deployed?

In order to track the fact that anyone has clicked on anything on a landing page you have to set up the hyperlinks as redirect links. This prevents you from being able to use them with dynamic query strings. If instead you were to just append a query string (e.g. ?hyperlinkID=123abc) which when clicked would send you to another tracked page where by arriving to the destination page with that query string it would assume a "click-through" (this is exactly how email clickthrough reporting works), the PROBLEM with this is when you bookmark the hyperlink or send it to your friends, every time you "visit" that hyperlink the system does not know any better than to assume it was a clickthrough from somewhere else. It would not be able to distinguish a new "natural" clickthrough from a URL that was bookmarked. In fact, neither the redirect method nor the query string method are able to differentiate a saved/forwarded URL from a new clickthrough.

If anyone has any ideas about how to differentiate the saved URL from a new activity so as to not skew reporting I'd love to know!

• James Solo
    James Solo Posts: 17 Bronze Badge
    edited February 2017

In order to track the fact that anyone has clicked on anything on a landing page you have to set up the hyperlinks as redirect links. This prevents you from being able to use them with dynamic query strings. If instead you were to just append a query string (e.g. ?hyperlinkID=123abc) which when clicked would send you to another tracked page where by arriving to the destination page with that query string it would assume a "click-through" (this is exactly how email clickthrough reporting works), the PROBLEM with this is when you bookmark the hyperlink or send it to your friends, every time you "visit" that hyperlink the system does not know any better than to assume it was a clickthrough from somewhere else. It would not be able to distinguish a new "natural" clickthrough from a URL that was bookmarked. In fact, neither the redirect method nor the query string method are able to differentiate a saved/forwarded URL from a new clickthrough.

If anyone has any ideas about how to differentiate the saved URL from a new activity so as to not skew reporting I'd love to know!

Hi Alexander,

I believe you would need to include the Referring URL within your logic to evaluate.  For example, if the Referring URL is NULL, then it is a Direct Load (e.g., Bookmarked, Copied/Pasted, etc...).  Conceptually, you could use JavaScript on the landing page to design a custom tracking solution or possibly leverage the new OBIEE Insight reporting to create a custom report.  Unfortunately, I don't think you can use a solution that is more native and OOTB to the core Eloqua platform.

Many thanks,

James

• Alexander Huzar

Hi Alexander,

I believe you would need to include the Referring URL within your logic to evaluate.  For example, if the Referring URL is NULL, then it is a Direct Load (e.g., Bookmarked, Copied/Pasted, etc...).  Conceptually, you could use JavaScript on the landing page to design a custom tracking solution or possibly leverage the new OBIEE Insight reporting to create a custom report.  Unfortunately, I don't think you can use a solution that is more native and OOTB to the core Eloqua platform.

Many thanks,

James

Users can disable the sending of the referring URL so it may not be reliable, but your suggestion is actually a good idea.

https://isc.sans.edu/forums/diary/When+does+your+browser+send+a+Referer+header+or+not/16433/

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/noref/dkpkjedlegmelkogpgamcaemgbanohip - or edit all the shortcut's (desktop, quick launch, startmenu) target line to include --no-referrers  example: "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --no-referrers

• annika
    annika Posts: 5 Green Ribbon

It would be perfect to have a "visual click-through report" for landingpages as well as it exists already for emails.

• Jonny L
    Jonny L Posts: 7 Red Ribbon

Very basic functionality. I am surprised to learn this isn't default reporting of a page in itself. Many other MA programs have this functionality. Thank you for considering this!

• scott.kent
    scott.kent Posts: 64 Blue Ribbon

I keep getting frustrating customer saying "I can't believe this, seriously! How is that possible?"

The problem is they have this reporting for emails so they naturally anticipate this as being a report they can see for Landing pages.

• Sarah Kumlin
    Sarah Kumlin Posts: 1 Green Ribbon
    edited January 2019

How is this not a thing? Why is there even an option to track links? Makes no sense. Get this on the roadmap asap!

Post edited by Unknown User on
  • To our community, this feature has been on our radar. We wanted to address this feature plus more and that functionality will come with our Infinity integration. Join us at MCX (Modern Customer Experience in Vegas) to hear about our new enhanced activity and tracking features.

• Astrid80335
    Astrid80335 Posts: 27 Red Ribbon

Is it also in plan to integrate this feature into Eloqua (to use without Infinity)?
    That would be cool and would help a lot with simple Campaign Reportings in one place (in Eloqua Insight)
    and to use it for segmentation to trigger e-Mail communication, based on a users activty.

• Astrid80335
    Astrid80335 Posts: 27 Red Ribbon

I keep getting frustrating customer saying "I can't believe this, seriously! How is that possible?"

The problem is they have this reporting for emails so they naturally anticipate this as being a report they can see for Landing pages.

It is still the same problem!  I have the same experience with frustrated customers asking why for emails but not for landing pages.