Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alert when campaign is nearing campaign end date

Richard Gilchrist
Richard Gilchrist Posts: 4 Red Ribbon
edited February 2018 in Dream It

I'd like to have the option to get an alert when my active campaigns are nearing their completion date. Perhaps 14 or 7 days in advance, by default. Or a widget I could add to my Eloqua dashboard. This would help avoid cases where the campaign completes earlier than I'd like.

For example, I recently had two lead nurturing campaigns change to Completed status because I forgot to change the campaign end date. It was a real chore to rectify the situation and get the tracks re-started with people in the right places. It's my fault for neglecting to change the campaign end date, but humans will make mistakes, and an alert would have prompted me to change the end date before the campaign completed.

Post edited by Unknown User on
113 votes

Delivered · Last Updated

Comments

• Gary Aspinall
    Gary Aspinall Posts: 32 Bronze Badge

I've had the same issue with nurture campaigns that we're created by my predecessors. I would like to receive an email similar to the upload notification telling me it's about to expire or has already expired.

• Stephanie Boyd
    Stephanie Boyd Posts: 3 Green Ribbon

Same happened to me. Could have sworn I moved the date out a few years but it completed on me with no notification, and no way of re-activating. Had to create a completely new campaign with new settings, very frustrating.

• michael.roberts
    michael.roberts Posts: 13 Blue Ribbon

Love this idea. Same thing happened to us just last month.

• Mike_Daniel
    Mike_Daniel Posts: 21 Red Ribbon

@Richard Gilchrist: Fully support this idea!  Just ran into a few instances where the default end date was not adjusted at time of activation and now we need to copy and re-configure several regional workflows.  Not the end of the world, but definitely could have been avoided by a simple notification somewhere in the platform dashboard or weekly summary of campaigns nearing completion that could be sent to all instance admins.  I'm going to campaign to get anyone on my team who are on Topliners to vote for this.  Also, please note that there's a similar idea floating around here: .  Some upvotes there would be good, too!

• Laura Grzanka
    Laura Grzanka Posts: 2 Blue Ribbon
    edited July 2016

This is very much needed - we have had similar experiences as others

• Tyler Platts
    Tyler Platts Posts: 3 Green Ribbon

This is a great idea. Little improvements like this make all the difference!

• This 100% should be basic functionality. With how vast and broad the amount of campaigns that could be running at any given time. Alerts to remind us about when a campaign could stop or is stopped is necessary! I hope they incorporate this.

• Alexandros Tsuvaltzidis
    Alexandros Tsuvaltzidis Posts: 6 Red Ribbon

Same thing happened to us. The person responsible for the campaign forgot all about it and the end date was not adjusted at time.

A push notification is really necessary.

• Jean-Francois Monfette
    Jean-Francois Monfette Posts: 11 Blue Ribbon

+1. Or why not have the possible to publish campaigns without an end date ?

• This is a great idea!  Better than my reminders in Outlook!

• +1. Or why not have the possible to publish campaigns without an end date ?

That would be helpful for us. There've been several times where we have an evergreen campaign with long-lasting content and I want to keep it open for a year and 1/2 or 2 years. I've had incidents where I make the end date into the future, but somehow I find that the campaign completed. No idea how that happens, and it's very frustrating having to create "V2" from a reporting continuity perspective.

• Alexander Huzar
    Alexander Huzar Posts: 80 Red Ribbon

While we wait for a more direct solution, one way you could solve this is:

1. Make sure your email address is added as a contact to the database

2. Add a separate Segment step to the campaign that you want to be notified of, put only your own email address in the segment, set to Add contacts once when the campaign launches.

3. Add a wait step after this segment, to 'wait until' the date X days before the campaign end date

4. Create a reminder email for yourself, with contents that help you remember

5. Add a Send Email step after the Wait step, and select your reminder email.

You could create this as (part of) your campaign template, so it's always in there :-)

@Bob at spotONvision  That sounds like a convoluted work-around that assumes that the person who you will email will still be with the company when they are sent the email (else send to a distribution group email and spam your entire department), also how are you going to tailor the email to indicate from which campaign it was sent? In a company with hundreds of campaigns this is simply not feasible due to massive duplication of work (templates maybe?). Also, we include ourselves in most email sends and we test the email send steps an hour before the bulk send to the public. This mostly conflicts with the reminder flow you outlined because contacts cannot exist in multiple steps simultaneously. Another layer of possible error is that you cannot guarantee that your contact will not get stuck on steps and thus never make it to your "reminder" email and in that scenario you won't be notified so this is not going to work simply because of reliability reasons.

We use custom Insight reports at around end of year to review if any ongoing campaigns need to be extended by a year or two. This is much less work and is done once a year, not every time and allows us to spend the work hours crafting campaign workflows rather than fighting with the interface. The default campaign end time of +1 year is good enough so that every year before December 31 we can review everything (it gets very quiet during the holiday season and allows us to get a lot of low-priority work to get done such as the topic we're discussing here). We only set it for a shorter duration if we're 100% sure we won't need it to run any longer.

What is really needed here are three things (any one of these would be a huge improvement):

1. an option for a notification email sent x days before the campaign ends

2. the option to have "infinite" campaigns (no end date). Nurture campaigns with hourly re-evaluating segments would be an example of a use case of "infinite" campaigns.

3. the Oracle (content) Marketing Calendar (the little cloud icon that hovers to the right side of most E10 UI pages) - this has the start time of campaigns, but not end times. You have to click on the start times to see the end time. It would go a LONG way to making it visually very clear when campaigns are ending.

• Bob at Elemental Marketing
    Bob at Elemental Marketing Posts: 32 Silver Badge

@Bob at spotONvision  That sounds like a convoluted work-around that assumes that the person who you will email will still be with the company when they are sent the email (else send to a distribution group email and spam your entire department), also how are you going to tailor the email to indicate from which campaign it was sent? In a company with hundreds of campaigns this is simply not feasible due to massive duplication of work (templates maybe?). Also, we include ourselves in most email sends and we test the email send steps an hour before the bulk send to the public. This mostly conflicts with the reminder flow you outlined because contacts cannot exist in multiple steps simultaneously. Another layer of possible error is that you cannot guarantee that your contact will not get stuck on steps and thus never make it to your "reminder" email and in that scenario you won't be notified so this is not going to work simply because of reliability reasons.

We use custom Insight reports at around end of year to review if any ongoing campaigns need to be extended by a year or two. This is much less work and is done once a year, not every time and allows us to spend the work hours crafting campaign workflows rather than fighting with the interface. The default campaign end time of +1 year is good enough so that every year before December 31 we can review everything (it gets very quiet during the holiday season and allows us to get a lot of low-priority work to get done such as the topic we're discussing here). We only set it for a shorter duration if we're 100% sure we won't need it to run any longer.

What is really needed here are three things (any one of these would be a huge improvement):

1. an option for a notification email sent x days before the campaign ends

2. the option to have "infinite" campaigns (no end date). Nurture campaigns with hourly re-evaluating segments would be an example of a use case of "infinite" campaigns.

3. the Oracle (content) Marketing Calendar (the little cloud icon that hovers to the right side of most E10 UI pages) - this has the start time of campaigns, but not end times. You have to click on the start times to see the end time. It would go a LONG way to making it visually very clear when campaigns are ending.

If it sounds like a workaround, that's because it is a workaorund :-)

You are absolutely right that it has its caveats.

• Laura Grzanka
    Laura Grzanka Posts: 2 Blue Ribbon

While we wait for a more direct solution, one way you could solve this is:

1. Make sure your email address is added as a contact to the database

2. Add a separate Segment step to the campaign that you want to be notified of, put only your own email address in the segment, set to Add contacts once when the campaign launches.

3. Add a wait step after this segment, to 'wait until' the date X days before the campaign end date

4. Create a reminder email for yourself, with contents that help you remember

5. Add a Send Email step after the Wait step, and select your reminder email.

You could create this as (part of) your campaign template, so it's always in there :-)

Great idea for the workaround.  We just set our campaigns out about 10 years into the future

• Jan-Pieter Feikens
    Jan-Pieter Feikens Posts: 16 Blue Ribbon
    edited August 2017

Oracle has mentioned during the last roadmap session that this feature will come. Have a look at the Roadmap video below or read my article on Linkedin about the Partner Roadmap session here: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/recent-upcoming-innovations-new-oracle-eloqua-roadmap-feikens

video

• kevincassidy313
    kevincassidy313 Posts: 31 Silver Badge

This feature exists now. But you do manually need to decide who will get the notification when you're activating the Canvas at the start.

pastedImage_0.png

What we use as a better fail-safe is an automated email from Insight with a list of all Campaigns ending the following week. Someone on the team reviews the list each week to make sure none of our always-on programs are going to end pre-maturely.

• Jan-Pieter Feikens
    Jan-Pieter Feikens Posts: 16 Blue Ribbon
    edited August 2017

This feature exists now. But you do manually need to decide who will get the notification when you're activating the Canvas at the start.

pastedImage_0.png

What we use as a better fail-safe is an automated email from Insight with a list of all Campaigns ending the following week. Someone on the team reviews the list each week to make sure none of our always-on programs are going to end pre-maturely.

This is only accessible within the Controlled availability program, meaning you would have to contact Oracle Support to get it activated.

See page 4:

• Jacob Esson
    Jacob Esson Posts: 38 Silver Badge

this feature will be GA in the 491 release I believe

• roy at keelaro dot com
    roy at keelaro dot com Posts: 77 Blue Ribbon

Can't wait or still want a report....

You can always run a report on campaigns and sort by end date. Set this up to run weekly and every Monday morning you can review what is scheduled to end this coming week.....

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 11.02.06.png

I've simply added the fields "Campaign Status" and "Campaign End Date" to the out the box report "Eloqua Campaign List"

• Constantin Gavril
    Constantin Gavril Posts: 9 Green Ribbon

This is a great idea !!!

• This is a great idea !!!

They actually added this functionality now.

• Constantin Gavril
    Constantin Gavril Posts: 9 Green Ribbon

They actually added this functionality now.

I know but the max. time is 5 days before.

• I know but the max. time is 5 days before.

That makes a lot of sense.