Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Administrative Functionality to Delete, Expire, Archive En Masse

fquinn_arkadin
fquinn_arkadin Posts: 23 Bronze Badge
edited October 2015 in Dream It

As an Administrator, I would love the ability to delete/archive/expire assets, fields, picklists, etc... EN MASSE! We are on E10 and can't even archive at all anymore and deleting anything is an absolute chore and in a lot of cases you don't want to delete old assets or fields but just no longer see them in the active interface.

93 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• fquinn_arkadin

I would also include mass updating of permissions at the folder-level.  For example, if I have X number of forms in folder A, I can set the permission on the folder to Admin Only.  The change to Admin Only would propagate down to all assets contained within folder A.

Nice one! Totally agree.

• Richa.Singh
    Richa.Singh Posts: 12 Red Ribbon

HI

Till the time this feature request comes up - in one of Eloqua's release...

I hate waiting for it to happen and not being able to manage stuff...

Is there any other workaround for this...

I heard that we can use API = wherein one can mass delete instead of - system defined archiving.

Thoughts...

Regards

Richa

• fquinn_arkadin

HI

I heard that we can use API = wherein one can mass delete instead of - system defined archiving.

Thoughts...

Regards

Richa

I haven't used the API myself but I have also heard of this. I know we have a project in our IT team here that uses Eloqua a brand repository in which imagery is written to our files area en masse. I would think that if we can do this with API, then a delete should also be possible. Would love to hear from someone who has made this work!

• Cheli
    Cheli Posts: 57 Gold Badge

HI

Thoughts...

Regards

Richa

Hi Richa,

We have used the API for our deleting of assets--we did campaigns, emails, forms, and landing pages last summer/fall.  What was a pain was the many INTERdependencies these assets could have with each other!    We essentially had to do two passes for each type of assets.  (Also--any emails that were created in E9 and used in programs to send emails were extra special--we found we couldn't delete them because of the old email batches we'd have to manually delete one by one... impossible task!)

We used RelationshipOne Eloqua Inspector to pull lists of our assets so that we could review the list to determine what could be safely deleted -- that may be half the battle there--getting buy in and input from our regions to determine what can be deleted (I think we are digital hoarders ).  But RelOne doesn't give you all types of assets.  Like images (which we really need to clean out but have no easy way to do so).  Or filters... or picklists... or dynamic content.... That would be nice... or it even better, if ELQ would allow you to pull those lists!

This summer, we are about to tackle our next clean up project with segments, filters, lists, and picklists.  Oh joy.

That being said, though... API did provide us with some momentum in our clean up... not perfect, but at least we deleted some assets. 

And THAT being said, I still want a better, easier solution from ELQ to manage our assets (ie, delete or move en masse)--all types.  If I could vote on this request monthly, I would.

Hope this helps...

• Alexander Huzar
    Alexander Huzar Posts: 80 Red Ribbon

@Chris Seepe has a way to delete all the dependencies of something no matter how far they go. Very useful, but could also be very dangerous. I recommend you reach out to him and arrange something. Not sure how much he charges. I recommend testing in a sandbox before pulling the trigger. Not sure if he developed it any further so that it displays what it's about to delete and you can then decide if it's worth it or not.

• Cheli
    Cheli Posts: 57 Gold Badge

@Chris Seepe has a way to delete all the dependencies of something no matter how far they go. Very useful, but could also be very dangerous. I recommend you reach out to him and arrange something. Not sure how much he charges. I recommend testing in a sandbox before pulling the trigger. Not sure if he developed it any further so that it displays what it's about to delete and you can then decide if it's worth it or not.

Thanks, @Alexander Huzar.  I'll keep Chris in mind.

• roy at keelaro dot com
    roy at keelaro dot com Posts: 77 Blue Ribbon
    edited December 2017

This is one of the tasks I built the "Eloqua Admin Workbench" to handle. It happily runs through a set of Asset Ids. The tool can be nicely extended to support custom requirements.

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 12.08.22.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 11.59.42.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 11.56.20.png

• lkmeyers
    lkmeyers Posts: 13 Blue Ribbon

Hi Richa,

We have used the API for our deleting of assets--we did campaigns, emails, forms, and landing pages last summer/fall.  What was a pain was the many INTERdependencies these assets could have with each other!    We essentially had to do two passes for each type of assets.  (Also--any emails that were created in E9 and used in programs to send emails were extra special--we found we couldn't delete them because of the old email batches we'd have to manually delete one by one... impossible task!)

We used RelationshipOne Eloqua Inspector to pull lists of our assets so that we could review the list to determine what could be safely deleted -- that may be half the battle there--getting buy in and input from our regions to determine what can be deleted (I think we are digital hoarders ).  But RelOne doesn't give you all types of assets.  Like images (which we really need to clean out but have no easy way to do so).  Or filters... or picklists... or dynamic content.... That would be nice... or it even better, if ELQ would allow you to pull those lists!

This summer, we are about to tackle our next clean up project with segments, filters, lists, and picklists.  Oh joy.

That being said, though... API did provide us with some momentum in our clean up... not perfect, but at least we deleted some assets. 

And THAT being said, I still want a better, easier solution from ELQ to manage our assets (ie, delete or move en masse)--all types.  If I could vote on this request monthly, I would.

Hope this helps...

AMEN!  A bulk API in epoch time is not a solution.  I too vote for a better - easier solution...:)

• Gregory N. Kotovos
    Gregory N. Kotovos Posts: 4 Green Ribbon
    edited May 2018

Eloquins,

As ex OMC employees we have developed a number of governance applications round out Eloqua's functionality.

Our Asset Dependency Manager allows for the identification of dependencies and a series of actions to handle and allow for and to automatically delete the asset.  This application also allows you to reassign a dependency (e.g.- it will replace a field, with another field, on all dependent forms with a click of your mouse.) This app will save you hundreds of hours a year.

Our Asset Version Control application allows you to never have to duplicate an asset(email, field, campaign, etc..) again.  It will save in the cloud every version of your asset or only the versions you select. It will allow you to recover deleted items and ultimately improve your reporting and attribution.

Feel free to reach out with any questions.

Sincerely, Gregory Kotovos 732-857-7220

Post edited by Unknown User on
    3528332 Posts: 4

Accelerithm has an app called Asset Dependency Manager that is certified by Oracle available on Oracle Cloud Marketplace.  Check it out.  Eloqua Applications | Accelerithm

• maryann.connolly@nuance.com
    [email protected] Posts: 5 Red Ribbon

The platform needs to provide a better way to retire assets - including landing pages and forms. It becomes completely unmanageable to have to update assets as regulations change or programs expire. How is it possible that this still is a manual process or having to rely on API. You should be able to schedule assets to go live and retire on specific dates as you create them in the system. I realize it's not a true content management system, but for an individual working in the platform everyday, this is a major drawback.

• Ken Lague
    Ken Lague Posts: 50 Blue Ribbon

Voted up.   Deleting old emails, campaigns, batches, segments is a real hassle and is worse in E10 than it was in E9 -  you have to undo all the related dependencies first before being able to simply delete an old Email via the API.

Deleting assets one at a time is a real chore and no way for anyone to be spending their time.

Oracle Labs, this would be a good one for prioritization.