Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Form Processing Step Conditions

Gary Aspinall
Gary Aspinall Posts: 32 Bronze Badge
edited November 2015 in Dream It

Currently form processing step conditions only allow you to set EXACTLY or NOT EXACTLY. There are no options for contains, starts with, in picklist etc.

conditions-editor.png

It would be great if we had the same options found in segments so we could stop internal tests going into shared lists, being sent to sales etc:

segment-options.png

Thanks.

78 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Hi I'm interested in what you are trying to accomplish.  Please tell me what is the processing step that you are selecting before adding the conditions.

• Gary Aspinall
    Gary Aspinall Posts: 32 Bronze Badge

Hi I'm interested in what you are trying to accomplish.  Please tell me what is the processing step that you are selecting before adding the conditions.

The process adds submitters to a shared list but I don't want our company staff entering the list so I want to exclude emails that contain example.com

• EmiliePKraft
    EmiliePKraft Posts: 16 Red Ribbon

Our team would like to be able to configure processing step by pick list selection rather than having to copy and paste the each pick list item. Additionally if pick list items change slightly would be great to have that automatically map to processing step. For example, if the pick list is event locations & dates, sometimes dates change. Perhaps you could have a code for each picklist item (item1, item2, etc.) so that any cosmetic changes don't derail the processing steps.

• Alexander Huzar
    Alexander Huzar Posts: 80 Red Ribbon

The reason for "exactly" and "not exactly" is because it's the fastest for the system to be able to process. More complex operations require more processing, which leads to greater and greater page transition lag after the form submit (landing page is waiting on form submit response). It requires a certain degree of understanding from marketers that the options they choose will SIGNIFICANTLY slow down form submit page transitions - on the order of seconds, sometimes users may think pages are broken if it takes anything more than 2 seconds to transition - especially if everything else is fast. One way to tackle this is to add an animation "loading" or "processing" or something like that.

Still...I agree that if you are willing to click on a "I agree/understand" warning message when selecting advanced operators, these should be available for selection.

• heather.bechard
    heather.bechard Posts: 6 Silver Badge

The reason for "exactly" and "not exactly" is because it's the fastest for the system to be able to process. More complex operations require more processing, which leads to greater and greater page transition lag after the form submit (landing page is waiting on form submit response). It requires a certain degree of understanding from marketers that the options they choose will SIGNIFICANTLY slow down form submit page transitions - on the order of seconds, sometimes users may think pages are broken if it takes anything more than 2 seconds to transition - especially if everything else is fast. One way to tackle this is to add an animation "loading" or "processing" or something like that.

Still...I agree that if you are willing to click on a "I agree/understand" warning message when selecting advanced operators, these should be available for selection.

This doesn't have to be true. They could move the redirect to webpage step up to be earlier in the processing (not last) so that the end user gets re-directed to the asset right away while the system continues to process the rest of the steps.

• Joel Rothman-Oracle
    Joel Rothman-Oracle Posts: 41 Silver Trophy

This doesn't have to be true. They could move the redirect to webpage step up to be earlier in the processing (not last) so that the end user gets re-directed to the asset right away while the system continues to process the rest of the steps.

Hi Heather. You are correct, it doesn't have to be this way. However, it's currently architected with the assumption that you might want the output of the processing steps to control the content that is rendered on a landing page. So, if you have an update rule that is stamping data as a processing step, and dynamic content on the landing page, you want to ensure that the processing steps run in the correct order.

• AudreyLC
    AudreyLC Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

Hello Gary,

I am interested in what you are looiking for. Did you get any news?

• josh.martin
    josh.martin Posts: 8 Blue Ribbon

Hi Gary,

Have you tried adding wildcards to your values? Even though the conditions don't specifically call it out, you can add wildcards to your values to accomplish part of what you are requesting. The wildcard that I have tested is *. Here's a screenshot:

Capture5.PNG

Hope that helps!

• Alexander Huzar

Hi Gary,

Have you tried adding wildcards to your values? Even though the conditions don't specifically call it out, you can add wildcards to your values to accomplish part of what you are requesting. The wildcard that I have tested is *. Here's a screenshot:

Capture5.PNG

Hope that helps!

In my testing, wildcards are treated as text characters. Key word there is "exactly". Are you able to confirm this 100% for both "exactly" and "not exactly"?

• josh.martin
    josh.martin Posts: 8 Blue Ribbon

In my testing, wildcards are treated as text characters. Key word there is "exactly". Are you able to confirm this 100% for both "exactly" and "not exactly"?

Hi Alexander,

Yes, in my experience, it works with both "exactly" and "not exactly". I've actually implemented this on several live forms in the past.

• Alexander Huzar

Hi Alexander,

Yes, in my experience, it works with both "exactly" and "not exactly". I've actually implemented this on several live forms in the past.

Confirmed. This works 100%. Thanks!

• Anna Brinkkötter
    Anna Brinkkötter Posts: 5 Green Ribbon

Hi,

Wildcards are not working for us, unfortunately. We are using a multi-select checkbox (for example to subscribe to various different mailing topics) and I tried with a wildcard, but it won't take. A 'contain' function would be absolutely fantastic here.

Any chance this is still being considered for future releases?

- Anna

• Alexander Huzar

Hi,

Wildcards are not working for us, unfortunately. We are using a multi-select checkbox (for example to subscribe to various different mailing topics) and I tried with a wildcard, but it won't take. A 'contain' function would be absolutely fantastic here.

Any chance this is still being considered for future releases?

- Anna

Try wildcards with a small form text field to test for functionality. If it does not work on there with a very basic form then you have a fundamental issue with your instance. If it works with some fields, but not others I would file a bug with support. We here at Ceridian use an asterisk for a "contains" and it works 100%, but we only use it for small text fields, have not tested on other fields.

-Alexander Huzar

• Anna Brinkkötter
    Anna Brinkkötter Posts: 5 Green Ribbon

Try wildcards with a small form text field to test for functionality. If it does not work on there with a very basic form then you have a fundamental issue with your instance. If it works with some fields, but not others I would file a bug with support. We here at Ceridian use an asterisk for a "contains" and it works 100%, but we only use it for small text fields, have not tested on other fields.

-Alexander Huzar

Hi Alexander,

Thank you - it actually works for us now as well. I would still say the process is likely to invite errors and a list of functions like contains, starts with, or is between would be incredibly helpful, though.

Thank you for your help

-Anna

• Mia B
    Mia B Posts: 1 Red Ribbon

Hi - I too would like to see more options.  We would like to use a form processing step to route form submissions based on a form field being blank, and are unable to do this.  Has anyone else come across this requirement and come up with a work around aside from making every form field mandatory?  Thanks.  Mia

• Alexander Huzar

Hi - I too would like to see more options.  We would like to use a form processing step to route form submissions based on a form field being blank, and are unable to do this.  Has anyone else come across this requirement and come up with a work around aside from making every form field mandatory?  Thanks.  Mia

There are two levels of form field validation - the first is through JavaScript. This is driven by making each individual field required or character count or must contain an email, etc. This makes Eloqua build the code (JavaScript) that runs when you put the form on a landing page.

The next level of validation is when you configure the form's "validation failure page". This is a server-side check in case the JavaScript is disabled or somehow bypassed (or when you update the form, but not the landing page). It checks all the form's required fields upon form submission and before executing any processing steps if those field requirements aren't met then it redirects you to whatever landing you set to serve as the failure page.

In terms of processing steps themselves, the conditions for every processing steps are grouped together with an AND operator - so everything you put in there will be X AND Y AND Z. You cannot use "OR" or "NOR". At your disposal is a switch at the top of the conditions window which says "Conditions ARE/AREN'T met". Here you can configure this with each conditions "exactly" / "not exactly" operators. So if you need to check multiple fields for certain conditions you can play with double-negatives as well as input specific exclusions (e.g. I want all countries except for X, but I also want a non-blank country). This can be used if you are legally able to market to everyone except for Quebec and some certain US states. It's all logic at this point, but we use this in all kinds of forms all the time...

• Alexander Huzar

A quick update here. I was trying to do something and expecting to be able to use the wildcards * and ? so that I am able to query custom object record data in a dynamic way. I needed to see if a linked CDO had a field value of "duplicate" anywhere in the value. I was not able to get the form to work, so in an effort to establish what does and does not work I have discovered (after ah hour of testing) that the only time you can use wildcards with Eloqua form processing steps is when querying the form submission data itself. This makes sense from a performance standpoint, however it's quite limiting.

So...wildcards * and ? for:

Form submission data = YES

Contact fields = NO

CDO fields = NO