Discussions

Email Preview / Pre-Header Text

bkhayes
bkhayes Posts: 79 Silver Badge
edited November 2017 in Dream It

The Small Dream:

I would like to see a panel in the settings when working on email assets that would include an option for preview / pre-header text. Since preview text is now displayed in many email clients, I see it as being just as important as having a subject line. Please note that this preview text would be hidden, rather than visible at the top of the email.

Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 4.45.25 PM.png

An example from Apple Mail of subject line + preview text.

The Rough Idea:

Emails > Gear Icon > Settings

dream_it_eloqua_oracle.png

A mockup of what the setting panel could look like.

Currently one of the only ways to do this is to manually insert preview code after the <body> tag or include it into your header. Since preview text tends to change from email to email, it does not make sense having it be a header object. Having it hidden away in the code works but can be overlooked by others who are not familiar with it.

The Rough Example Code:

<p style="display:none;font-size:1px;color:#333333;line-height:1px;max-height:0px;max-width:0px;opacity:0;overflow:hidden;">

Your preview pane text goes here.

</p>

I look forward to possibly seeing this implemented in future Eloqua releases. Maybe it is already being considered?

Post edited by Unknown User on
90 votes

Delivered · Last Updated

Comments

• Gary Aspinall
    Gary Aspinall Posts: 38 Bronze Badge

Great idea! We've recently introduced this into email group headers but would rather have specific preview text per campaign.

• Richa.Singh
    Richa.Singh Posts: 9 Red Ribbon

HI

Yes, indeed this is the need of the hour.

We also introduced this feature - but had to pull it away shortly on account of some design issues.

Regards,

Richa

• Alexander Huzar
    Alexander Huzar Posts: 80 Red Ribbon

So...how would Eloqua know what the hundreds of different email clients out there are using to determine what text to put in the preview? Lacking this information, you'd not be able to build anything.

• bkhayes

So...how would Eloqua know what the hundreds of different email clients out there are using to determine what text to put in the preview? Lacking this information, you'd not be able to build anything.

Hi Alexander,

Email clients choose the content that is placed immediately after the opening <body> tag. This is where the preview text gets picked up by majority of email clients (if not all). Knowing that they could certainly attempt building such a thing.

Best,

Ben

• Alexander Huzar
    Alexander Huzar Posts: 80 Red Ribbon

Hi Alexander,

Email clients choose the content that is placed immediately after the opening <body> tag. This is where the preview text gets picked up by majority of email clients (if not all). Knowing that they could certainly attempt building such a thing.

Best,

Ben

+1 vote from me in that case!

• jr.rosenbaum
    jr.rosenbaum Posts: 2 Blue Ribbon

Is there any update on this?

• bkhayes

Is there any update on this?

Not that I am aware of but it is a much needed feature for Eloqua.

• bkhayes

We have this on our release plan for 2017. I don't have an exact release yet but this will be coming soon.

Awesome! Glad to hear!

• annika
    annika Posts: 5 Blue Ribbon

Really good idea!

• bkhayes

We have this on our release plan for 2017. I don't have an exact release yet but this will be coming soon.

2017 is here. Any update on this?

• Thamina Christensen-Oracle
    Thamina Christensen-Oracle Posts: 171 Employee

2017 is here. Any update on this?

This will be released with our new editor. The source/upload editor will also get the same functionality when we deliver Pre-header text with the new editor.

• Bcwicke
    Bcwicke Posts: 12 Green Ribbon

Hi Alexander,

Best,

Ben

We use a hack at the very top of our emails so it's the first thing displayed on the pre-headers in mobile:

<!-- MOBILE PRE-HEADER START -->

<table class="email-container" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600" style="margin: auto;">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td bgcolor="#e5e3d9">

<div style="display:none; font-size:1px; color:#fefefe; line-height:1px; font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; max-height:0px; max-width:0px; overflow:hidden">Preheader copy goes here (Plan for roughly 80 characters including spaces).</div>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<!-- MOBILE PRE-HEADER END -->

This allows us to use html in the pre-header as well.  (I.e.: if we wanted to put a field merge into the pre-header, it allows us to do so).  If Eloqua were to put this pre-header section in the settings as suggested, I would hope they allow the ability to have html code inside the field.  If not, it's useless to us and we'll continue to use this hack.

• bkhayes

We use a hack at the very top of our emails so it's the first thing displayed on the pre-headers in mobile:

<!-- MOBILE PRE-HEADER START -->

<table class="email-container" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="600" style="margin: auto;">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td bgcolor="#e5e3d9">

<div style="display:none; font-size:1px; color:#fefefe; line-height:1px; font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; max-height:0px; max-width:0px; overflow:hidden">Preheader copy goes here (Plan for roughly 80 characters including spaces).</div>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<!-- MOBILE PRE-HEADER END -->

This allows us to use html in the pre-header as well.  (I.e.: if we wanted to put a field merge into the pre-header, it allows us to do so).  If Eloqua were to put this pre-header section in the settings as suggested, I would hope they allow the ability to have html code inside the field.  If not, it's useless to us and we'll continue to use this hack.

We use a work around right after the starting <body> tag. It uses a div to hide the text and is recommended by Litmus.

<span class="tag"><<span class="hljs-keyword"><span class="title">div</span></span> <span class="attribute">style</span>=<span class="hljs-string"><span class="value">"display:none;font-size:1px;color:#333333;line-height:1px;max-height:0px;max-width:0px;opacity:0;overflow:hidden;"</span></span>></span><br/>  Insert preview <span class="hljs-type">text</span> here.  <br/><span class="tag"></<span class="hljs-keyword"><span class="title">div</span></span>></span>

https://litmus.com/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-preview-text-support

• BSamps
    BSamps Posts: 3

This will be released with our new editor. The source/upload editor will also get the same functionality when we deliver Pre-header text with the new editor.

Whats the ETA on this release? We are currently in the process of setting up our account and I come from a previous automation platform that allowed for easy application of pre-header text. I'd love to see this implemented soon.

• Whats the ETA on this release? We are currently in the process of setting up our account and I come from a previous automation platform that allowed for easy application of pre-header text. I'd love to see this implemented soon.

@BSamps We don't have an exact ETA on the release (Oracle Safe Harbor). I can tell you we plan on beginning the work this Fall to be released shortly thereafter.

Cheers,

Thamina Christensen

Oracle Eloqua Product Management

• David.Soto
    David.Soto Posts: 1 Red Ribbon

Hopefully, it will allow the use of field merges as well. For a more personalized email experience.

Regards.

• Its in progress after two years, that's good.

• bkhayes

Its in progress after two years, that's good.

Yes!!!

• I am experiencing a weird issue with the Litmus steps.

https://litmus.com/blog/the-little-known-preview-text-hack-you-may-want-to-use-in-every-email

I've managed to add the preview text to the email source code successfully but if I make any changes in the WYSIWYG editor, I lose all the preview text code as soon as I exit the WYSIWYG editor. Has anyone experienced this? I've created a service request but I am hoping someone here might have a solution.

Thanks!

• Matthew Phillip
    Matthew Phillip Posts: 20 Red Ribbon

Regarding the Litmus hack (thx btw!) I'm a marketer and not a programmer so I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I'm trying to ID the first <body> tag I see but when I attempt to place the Litmus code in, nothing appears. Do I need to place this in the actual email body in the builder or do I need to place this in the actual header? Apologies for the (super basic) question. Thanks for the help!

• Regarding the Litmus hack (thx btw!) I'm a marketer and not a programmer so I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I'm trying to ID the first <body> tag I see but when I attempt to place the Litmus code in, nothing appears. Do I need to place this in the actual email body in the builder or do I need to place this in the actual header? Apologies for the (super basic) question. Thanks for the help!

Hi Matthew,

It would definitely go in the code right after the opening body tag. The CSS styling on the Litmus code actually hides it, so you won't see anything output in the WYSIWYG ("What you see is what you get") email builder. If you send a test email to yourself you should see the placeholder text show up.

If what you mean is that you are not seeing it when you are pasting the code in the Source Editor, then maybe it's your browser? Try pasting the code into another application like Word or Notepad and see if it shows up to confirm it's on your clipboard.

Here's what my screen looks like.

Capture.PNG

After your code is in, would you mind double clicking on a part of your email to edit the content (like where it says "Ready? Let's go!" in my example), and then clicking to some other part of the email? That's the point at which my code is disappearing, and I'm wondering if anyone else can recreate it!

Thanks!

Chris

• Hi all - I got an update from Oracle support. TLDR is that it isn't supported currently, but will be supported in Oracle Eloqua release 492 Oct 31 - Nov 12, 2017 https://community.oracle.com/docs/DOC-998796

First this note:

Hi Chris, Greetings from Coco. I have confirmed with our Development Team and Product Team that with our current Design, we do not support the codes Litmus suggested. However, we have an open Enhancement Request that our Dev Team is working on to Add Preview Text to Email Editor Experience. Our Product Team has confirmed they will help you use the Litmus hack, however, there is no ETA provided. Should you still have any problem regarding the case, please do not hesitate to let me know, I am very happy to help. Thanks for your time and understanding Best Regards Coco Zhao Oracle Cloud Support 

And then this one:

Hi Chris, Greetings from Coco. I just got a good news from our Dev Team that this will be fixed in Release 492. So that you can use the hack Litmus suggested in Eloqua. According to our tentative release schedule https://community.oracle.com/docs/DOC-998796 Oracle Eloqua release 492 Oct 31 - Nov 12, 2017 Should you still have any problem regarding the case, please do not hesitate to let me know, I am very happy to help. Thanks for your time and understanding Best Regards Coco Zhao Oracle Cloud Support 
  • Hi all - I got an update from Oracle support. TLDR is that it isn't supported currently, but will be supported in Oracle Eloqua release 492 Oct 31 - Nov 12, 2017 https://community.oracle.com/docs/DOC-998796

First this note:

Hi Chris, Greetings from Coco. I have confirmed with our Development Team and Product Team that with our current Design, we do not support the codes Litmus suggested. However, we have an open Enhancement Request that our Dev Team is working on to Add Preview Text to Email Editor Experience. Our Product Team has confirmed they will help you use the Litmus hack, however, there is no ETA provided. Should you still have any problem regarding the case, please do not hesitate to let me know, I am very happy to help. Thanks for your time and understanding Best Regards Coco Zhao Oracle Cloud Support 

And then this one:

Hi Chris, Greetings from Coco. I just got a good news from our Dev Team that this will be fixed in Release 492. So that you can use the hack Litmus suggested in Eloqua. According to our tentative release schedule https://community.oracle.com/docs/DOC-998796 Oracle Eloqua release 492 Oct 31 - Nov 12, 2017 Should you still have any problem regarding the case, please do not hesitate to let me know, I am very happy to help. Thanks for your time and understanding Best Regards Coco Zhao Oracle Cloud Support 

@Chris Kosho Let me clarify...Eloqua doesn't support the Litmus hack. It works in some cases and not in others depending on the email client. What we hope to release (safe harbor) with our November release is an out of the box email preview text input that will allow marketers to insert preview text without needing to code it. In no way is this meant to be a support for the Litmus hack referred to in this thread.

Thanks,

Thamina Christensen

• @Chris Kosho Let me clarify...Eloqua doesn't support the Litmus hack. It works in some cases and not in others depending on the email client. What we hope to release (safe harbor) with our November release is an out of the box email preview text input that will allow marketers to insert preview text without needing to code it. In no way is this meant to be a support for the Litmus hack referred to in this thread.

Thanks,

Thamina Christensen

Hi Thamina,

Thanks for the note. Can you clarify as the Litmus hack has two portions:

1. Hidden preview text

2. &ZWNJ;&NBSP; (this adds space after the preview text to push the email content out of the preview area).

Will the Eloqua 492 release allow for the preview text to be hidden? Or will it always be visible?

Thanks,

Chris    

• bkhayes

Hi Thamina,

Thanks for the note. Can you clarify as the Litmus hack has two portions:

1. Hidden preview text

2. &ZWNJ;&NBSP; (this adds space after the preview text to push the email content out of the preview area).

Will the Eloqua 492 release allow for the preview text to be hidden? Or will it always be visible?

Thanks,

Chris    

I noticed this is now active

pastedImage_1.png

• I noticed this is now active

pastedImage_1.png

Thanks for the update! I hadn't noticed this yet!! Excited to test this out instead of the workaround we were using of adding a preheader in HTML.

Thanks!