Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Responsive Email Editor - Suggestions

Brian Cowan-Moore
edited June 2018 in Dream It

Hi,

We have received early access to the responsive email designer and can see the potential on this is great. Here are some initial feedback/suggestions from using:

• It would be good to have the ability to resize images within the editor - i don't see an option to do this which means you have to try and create images to fit the containers externally an then upload into Eloqua. In the classic email designer you could resize images but this appears to be lacking. It's time consuming and doesn't always fit right. No dimensions are provided so makes this a difficult task.

• Additional layout containers such as an image with text box underneath to place a description would be advantageous.

• Will there be anything other than email safe fonts? A lot of clients support web safe fonts now and would help make the emails look a bit nicer.

• It would be great if possible to overlay text on top of an image.

These are just my initial thoughts - we currently use an external mail designer and then upload the HTML into Eloqua but it would be great to not have to use anything but Eloqua.

Thanks

Brian

Post edited by Unknown User on
9 votes

Delivered · Last Updated

Comments

• Hi @Brian Cowan-Moore,

Thanks for your feedback. I have questions/comments about your feature requests.

1. Image resizing: larger images will automatically constrain to the containers so you don't need to resize those. Smaller images won't be touched as we don't want to ruin the quality of those images. Are you looking to increase the size of a particular image to fit the container? Have you tried the "fit to width" option?
    2. Within a layout, you can add multiple pieces of content. For example, you could have a 50:50 column and add an image to the left column. You can then add a text box right below that particular image, thus creating that image with text experience.
    3. For the first round we will only support email safe fonts. For the future we will look at adding web safe fonts as well. Great feature request!
    4. You can already do this. Select a layout element and you will see the option for background image. Please note that Outlook does not support background images and you'll want to have a background color as a backup for those opening this on Outlook.

Cheers,

Thamina Christensen

Group Product Manager

• Hi @Brian Cowan-Moore,

Thanks for your feedback. I have questions/comments about your feature requests.

1. Image resizing: larger images will automatically constrain to the containers so you don't need to resize those. Smaller images won't be touched as we don't want to ruin the quality of those images. Are you looking to increase the size of a particular image to fit the container? Have you tried the "fit to width" option?
    2. Within a layout, you can add multiple pieces of content. For example, you could have a 50:50 column and add an image to the left column. You can then add a text box right below that particular image, thus creating that image with text experience.
    3. For the first round we will only support email safe fonts. For the future we will look at adding web safe fonts as well. Great feature request!
    4. You can already do this. Select a layout element and you will see the option for background image. Please note that Outlook does not support background images and you'll want to have a background color as a backup for those opening this on Outlook.

Cheers,

Thamina Christensen

Group Product Manager

Hi Thamina,

Thanks for getting back to me.

1. I am looking at the option to reduce the size of larger images. For example, if i import a facebook logo and it appears too large, i don't have the option to reduce it. I therefore need to get one to fit that container box but i don't know what size the box is. If i could reduce it, it would work much better.

2. Thanks for that - i'll give it a go.

3. Again thanks and hopefully something we will see in the future.

4. I see you can add a background image and to achieve the entire image i just need to add multiple layout boxes.

Thanks for your input

Brian

• Hi Thamina,

Thanks for getting back to me.

1. I am looking at the option to reduce the size of larger images. For example, if i import a facebook logo and it appears too large, i don't have the option to reduce it. I therefore need to get one to fit that container box but i don't know what size the box is. If i could reduce it, it would work much better.

2. Thanks for that - i'll give it a go.

3. Again thanks and hopefully something we will see in the future.

4. I see you can add a background image and to achieve the entire image i just need to add multiple layout boxes.

Thanks for your input

Brian

Hi @Brian Cowan-Moore,

Thanks for the context around images as this helps in planning out future functionality. A one column component is 600px, 2 column at 300px, 3 column at 200px, and 4 column at 150px. The image can fill the container or be adjusted with padding as well.

For background images, you can add a spacer component as needed to see the entire image. On our 2018 roadmap, we have planned to allow this for individual content elements.

Thanks,

Thamina

• Hi @Brian Cowan-Moore,

Thanks for the context around images as this helps in planning out future functionality. A one column component is 600px, 2 column at 300px, 3 column at 200px, and 4 column at 150px. The image can fill the container or be adjusted with padding as well.

For background images, you can add a spacer component as needed to see the entire image. On our 2018 roadmap, we have planned to allow this for individual content elements.

Thanks,

Thamina

Hi Thamina,

Do we have the abilility to create our own draggable blocks for the editor yet or is this a feature that's coming in the pipeline? Is there anywhere I can see what code we'll need if we can create our own templates/blocks for use with the new Responsive Email Editor?

Many thanks!

Tom

• Hi!

Any timeline on when a similar feature will be available for Responsys? Feels like working in 2009

Thanks

Alex

• Hi Thamina,

Do we have the abilility to create our own draggable blocks for the editor yet or is this a feature that's coming in the pipeline? Is there anywhere I can see what code we'll need if we can create our own templates/blocks for use with the new Responsive Email Editor?

Many thanks!

Tom

Hi Tom,

Creating your own re-usable draggable blocks (similar to shared content) is a feature we are looking at for the roadmap. I'd create a separate Dream IT request for that so others can help champion the idea. For the second question, we will have a code content element in an upcoming release and that will be similar to what you can currently do in the classic design editor. You can already code your own block using shared content or dynamic content.

Thanks,

Thamina

• terrywhite
    terrywhite Posts: 10 Bronze Badge

Hi Thamina,

would it be possible to see the size of the text box. Currently you can see the size of images and other elements but it would be helpful if we new the exact size of the text box so we could size the image appropriately.

Thanks

Terry

• Does anyone know if there is a different way to enter a blind form submit url in the new responsive email designer? Previously i was able to use a link like below in classic (i've used sample data in this example)

http://app.information.ourcompanyname.co.uk/e/f2.aspx?elqFormName=nameofformhere&elqSiteID=12345678&emailAddress=<span%20class=eloquaemail>EmailAddress</span>

So this would then submit a blind form straight from the email if the user clicked the hyperlinked text or a button etc.

However in the responsive designer I get the message 'invalid URL' and it won't allow me to save or use it. Is there another way this should now be entered or has anyone come across this yet?

Thanks

Brian

• Does anyone know if there is a different way to enter a blind form submit url in the new responsive email designer? Previously i was able to use a link like below in classic (i've used sample data in this example)

http://app.information.ourcompanyname.co.uk/e/f2.aspx?elqFormName=nameofformhere&elqSiteID=12345678&emailAddress=<span%20class=eloquaemail>EmailAddress</span>

So this would then submit a blind form straight from the email if the user clicked the hyperlinked text or a button etc.

However in the responsive designer I get the message 'invalid URL' and it won't allow me to save or use it. Is there another way this should now be entered or has anyone come across this yet?

Thanks

Brian

You need to format your field merges with tilde syntax. Here is a document explaining how to do that: https://docs.oracle.com/cloud/latest/marketingcs_gs/OMCAA/index.html#Help/EmailEditing/Tasks/AddingFieldMergesToEmails.h… syntax.

Easier way to do this is drop your blind form submit url into an html email as the href element and click save on the email. When it refreshes Eloqua will convert it for you (just in case you are using other merge fields).

Example:

Original:

<a href="http://s123456.t.eloqua.com/e/f2.aspx?elqFormName=Test_open&elqSiteID=123456&emailAddress=<span%20class=eloquaemail>EmailAddress</span>"> URL </a>

Then after you click save it would turn into :

<a href="http://s123456.t.eloqua.com/e/f2.aspx?elqFormName=Test_open&elqSiteID=123456&emailAddress=~~eloqua..type--emailfield..syntax--EmailAddress..innerText--EmailAddress..encodeFor--url~~"> URL </a>

• You need to format your field merges with tilde syntax. Here is a document explaining how to do that: https://docs.oracle.com/cloud/latest/marketingcs_gs/OMCAA/index.html#Help/EmailEditing/Tasks/AddingFieldMergesToEmails.h… syntax.

Easier way to do this is drop your blind form submit url into an html email as the href element and click save on the email. When it refreshes Eloqua will convert it for you (just in case you are using other merge fields).

Example:

Original:

<a href="http://s123456.t.eloqua.com/e/f2.aspx?elqFormName=Test_open&elqSiteID=123456&emailAddress=<span%20class=eloquaemail>EmailAddress</span>"> URL </a>

Then after you click save it would turn into :

<a href="http://s123456.t.eloqua.com/e/f2.aspx?elqFormName=Test_open&elqSiteID=123456&emailAddress=~~eloqua..type--emailfield..syntax--EmailAddress..innerText--EmailAddress..encodeFor--url~~"> URL </a>

It worked! Thank you so much for your help

• Nikki Vaughn-Oracle
    Nikki Vaughn-Oracle Posts: 8 Green Ribbon

Up-voting this as a client request has been to add in the option to resize images for the same reason outlined by Brian Cowan-Moore.

• Nikki Vaughn-Oracle
    Nikki Vaughn-Oracle Posts: 8 Green Ribbon

Hi @Thamina Christensen-Oracle - I see you've provided the image dimensions of the various components above...can you tell me what the standard dimensions of the emails are for each of the new templates? I reached out to Support with this question and they did not know.

Thanks!

• Hi @Thamina Christensen-Oracle - I see you've provided the image dimensions of the various components above...can you tell me what the standard dimensions of the emails are for each of the new templates? I reached out to Support with this question and they did not know.

Thanks!

The emails and email templates are 600px

• Jenn Clauss
    Jenn Clauss Posts: 9 Red Ribbon

We really need the option to set a pixel width for images in the responsive editor. This is an absolute must as a fallback for Outlook. Outlook does not constrain image width based on inlined CSS or parent container width. I'm having to use custom code snippets to do this right now.

• Wren Ludlow-Oracle
    Wren Ludlow-Oracle Posts: 49 Employee

We really need the option to set a pixel width for images in the responsive editor. This is an absolute must as a fallback for Outlook. Outlook does not constrain image width based on inlined CSS or parent container width. I'm having to use custom code snippets to do this right now.

Hi Jenn,

We have set pixel widths as of the 18B release. When an image is added to responsive editor and isn't scaled we default to the natural width. When you use the image scaling feature under image sizing we calculate and assign a set pixel width and height to the image which Outlook then reads. These values aren't shown in the UI but they're there. Please let me know if you have any questions. If you come across rendering issues in Outlook those can be filed as a bug with support. 

Wren Ludlow

Oracle Product Management

• Jenn Clauss
    Jenn Clauss Posts: 9 Red Ribbon

Hi Jenn,

We have set pixel widths as of the 18B release. When an image is added to responsive editor and isn't scaled we default to the natural width. When you use the image scaling feature under image sizing we calculate and assign a set pixel width and height to the image which Outlook then reads. These values aren't shown in the UI but they're there. Please let me know if you have any questions. If you come across rendering issues in Outlook those can be filed as a bug with support. 

Wren Ludlow

Oracle Product Management

Thank you, I will investigate this further and submit a ticket if I have any further issues.