• 3,678,176 Users
  • 7,778 Discussions
  • 13,052 Comments

Discussions

Shared Filter Management

Melissa Fader
Melissa Fader Posts: 2 Red Ribbon
edited Jul 11, 2019 12:04PM in Dream It

We use Shared Filters in every segment.  They include our standard exclusions that cannot be Master Exclusions. Example: we have a special audience that can only be communicated to after permission is given.

All users are trained not to manipulate these Shared Filters because any change in one segment cascades to every segment the Shared Filter is used in. However, sometime people forget and changes are made.

When anyone saves a segment with a Shared Filter then they become the last modifier of the Shared Filter.  This makes it IMPOSSIBLE to find out who made the change so they can be re-trained to do the correct thing.

But, changing permissions doesn't work because they can only use the Shared Filters as a Local Copy, which would become a nightmare to manage if we had to change any of these filters.

Please either stop the save from updating the Last Modified field or add Shared Filters to the Audit Log!

22 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Ken Lague
    Ken Lague Posts: 55 Blue Ribbon

Melissa, what if there was a running history of all changes to an asset like a Shared Filter, instead of just the "last modified" details?   Wouldn't this solve the dilemma?

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 39 Bronze Badge
    edited Jul 12, 2019 3:00AM

Melissa, what if there was a running history of all changes to an asset like a Shared Filter, instead of just the "last modified" details?   Wouldn't this solve the dilemma?

Hi Ken, Yes that would be very useful. We've been complaining about this for years as it is really impossible to see who changed the filter.

When you add the filter and simply save the segment it shows it is modified when in fact it really isn't. It only has been added to the segment and saved. So will the audit track all of those 'modified' dates even thought nothing has really been changed in the filter? Or will it track the actual changes that someone does with in the filter via the shared filter access or via the segment?  or at least recognize that something actually changed in the filter? That would be ideal.

But tracking all 'modified' dates would be more useful than the current situation.

Thanks

Michelle

Here are some other links I've voted on over the years related to this as well.

https://community.oracle.com/ideas/21420

https://community.oracle.com/ideas/19490

https://community.oracle.com/ideas/21524

• Samita Arora
    Samita Arora Posts: 1 Red Ribbon

Hi Melissa,

I am right now facing the same problem here.

Just wanted to find out after all these years, did you manage to resolve this issue or any workaround this ?

It would be great to have some inisghts.

Regards,

Samita

• Cheli
    Cheli Posts: 56 Gold Badge

I have been asking for this feature since I started using E10 many years ago... if a filter is locked down (ie, permission is not given to edit it), then it should still be able to be used in a segment and have anything in the segment updated and saved--as long as that shared filter itself is not updated or changed. Running or refreshing a segment should not be considered an "edit".

While being able to see who edited it might be helpful, it does NOT solve the problem once damage is done (ie the shared filter is changed and that change affects whatever is using that filter).

The original request--that a shared filter (or even list) be locked down but still usable in a segment--is what my vote is for. (And I voted already for the others that Michelle listed above.)

Thanks,

Cheli

• User_EY8XG
    User_EY8XG Posts: 2 Red Ribbon
    edited Aug 20, 2021 10:49AM

+1 for this request - all users are trained, but one mistake means a lot of automated emails can end up going out to the wrong audience