Using custom objects to send emails in Eloqua is usually quite painful, I have some suggestions for a new way of working that could unlock a lot more 'easy to use' automation capabilities in Eloqua.
First new feature is a CDO 'segment'. This can be very similar to the current segmentation module and still keep into account the contact but the result that it returns would be all the matching CDO records for that contact. This will be a way to feed the new 'CDO Campaign' listed below.
- A segment builder specifically to filter on CDO Records and not contacts
- Usable in CDO Campaign
- Usable in CDO Program
CDO Listener in CDO Program and CDO Campaign
Second feature is an update to the CDO Program listener to also listen for modifications and having this 'new' and 'modified' listener also built for the new 'CDO Campaign' in a similar fashion.
- Listen for modifications in CDO (not available in current CDO program)
- Listen for new records in CDO
This is the main feature. The campaign canvas can still work like it does today but instead it will be using the contact linked to each record as its filter (when filtering on contact data). As with the CDO program builder you would be able to filter on each specific record for providing logic and all CDO field merges/Dynamic Content on this object will use the appropriate value from each record.
- A campaign where similar to a CDO Program you select the CDO it is related to
- Able to add CDO segment and refresh hourly
- Able to add CDO listener for new or modified records
- Emails or dynamic content sent via CDO campaigns take the values from the CDO
This is an addition to the current campaign. When using CDO field merges today you are always stuck with limited filtering options to ensure you are merging the correct data. This solution proposes a new optional campaign setting where you can add 1 or more objects and determine the filter for each one (which will be followed by the field merges and dynamic content).
- New campaign setting: CDO selection + CDO Filter. When selecting a CDO (side menu, optional) and a CDO filter (for example CDO 'Events' where 'Event ID = ABC' any CDO field merge or dynamic content in this campaign using this object uses this filter.
- The CDO selection and filter would make it 100x easier to make ready to use event templates. You make an email for each step in the event, you make a campaign template where the CDO option is selected and the user only has to change the event ID. Any field merge/token/event name etc will be set appropriately without any need for changes or automations while still leaving room for the user to modify the template freely for each event (but not having to touch critical parts that use CDO data).
Adding the ability to control filtering on Contact Campaigns feels like a must have for a lot of scenario's. You can currently do this in the field merge section but it becomes complex at scale. Moving this filter to the campaign (and adding the ability to determine filters on any objects you are field merging) would make it very easy for users to use a template in scenario's where the event is synced from CRM or other sources.
Adding the CDO segment interface and CDO type campaign would make any kind of automation much simpler for basic users. No longer do they need access to program canvas, update rules, CDO record processing or god forbid program builder to send CDO based emails.