• 3,678,044 Users
  • 7,912 Discussions
  • 13,042 Comments

Discussions

Track Email Consumption by Device

Michael L. Liston
Michael L. Liston Posts: 4 Blue Ribbon
edited Mar 20, 2018 3:59PM in Dream It

With the importance of mobility strategy growing stronger every day, being able to track email consumption (opens, clicks) by device would provide valuable insights into customer behavior.  This is a request I'm receiving from my stakeholders on a very regular basis.  Tracking by email client, like the idea, originally posted by Eytan Abrahams, and reposted by Egan Cheung, would also be beneficial.

Post edited by Unknown User on
279 votes

Delivered · Last Updated

Comments

• Hi Michael -

I'm happy to report that this type of report is already on our roadmap. I assume, based on your note, that you'd like to see the report able to differentiate between different mobile clients? To what level of granularity would your stakeholders like to see the information broken down? Is the OS version something they'd like to see as well?

Thanks so much for posting your request. I'm looking forward to getting more information about your use case.

- Sara Howes, Senior Product Manager

That is great news, thank you for the update.  High-level information (PC, Phone, Tablet) would be used by most of my stakeholders, 200+ people.  Knowing the mobile client would be next important, allowing us to focus development on the top clients.  OS version would be a nice-to-have, allowing us to know when to stop supporting legacy versions.

• Sara Howes-Oracle
    Sara Howes-Oracle Posts: 23 Green Ribbon
    edited Aug 25, 2015 11:40AM

That is great news, thank you for the update.  High-level information (PC, Phone, Tablet) would be used by most of my stakeholders, 200+ people.  Knowing the mobile client would be next important, allowing us to focus development on the top clients.  OS version would be a nice-to-have, allowing us to know when to stop supporting legacy versions.

Great, that's a really useful breakdown. Thanks for sharing!

• Michael L. Liston

Great, that's a really useful breakdown. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks again Sara!  Quick follow-up question, approximately, where does this fall on the roadmap, is there an ETA?

• Sara Howes-Oracle

Thanks again Sara!  Quick follow-up question, approximately, where does this fall on the roadmap, is there an ETA?

I can't give you an ETA, as that's just not possible at this time. However, please know that we consider this enhancement very important, and we'll be devoting development time to it as soon as possible.

• claudiazoglmann
    claudiazoglmann Posts: 78 Silver Badge

I can't give you an ETA, as that's just not possible at this time. However, please know that we consider this enhancement very important, and we'll be devoting development time to it as soon as possible.

• rsukharev
    rsukharev Posts: 3 Red Ribbon

Hi Michael -

I'm happy to report that this type of report is already on our roadmap. I assume, based on your note, that you'd like to see the report able to differentiate between different mobile clients? To what level of granularity would your stakeholders like to see the information broken down? Is the OS version something they'd like to see as well?

Thanks so much for posting your request. I'm looking forward to getting more information about your use case.

To answer the "granularity" question, make it work the same way as

Google Analytics

• Sara Howes-Oracle

I did want to add that in the meantime, you can take advantage of our AppCloud partner 250ok's solutions, here. They have an offering called Email Informant that can provide information on what client is opening emails.

• Gary Aspinall
    Gary Aspinall Posts: 34 Bronze Badge

I use Litmus to do this, you could sign up for a 7 day trial, add the tracking code to the email. Send the email and get the initial results before the end of the 7 days, however Litmus is a great tool to continue using.

I'm excited to see the new Eloqua tools and hope they compare well to Litmus.

• Michael L. Liston

I use Litmus to do this, you could sign up for a 7 day trial, add the tracking code to the email. Send the email and get the initial results before the end of the 7 days, however Litmus is a great tool to continue using.

Thanks Gary, that's the route I went with, using Litmus.  It took 10 minutes to setup, easy.  I agree great resource/tool for email marketing.

• One question for people interested in this feature.  Contacts may be (and often are) associated to more than one visitor record (cookie) since people often use multiple devices such as work and personal computers, tablets and phones.  As such, an individual contact may be engaging with your content across many devices and clients. While that's not a problem for total overall engagement reporting, it does complicate the question of what device/OS is associated to a Contact.  Is there an expectation that you would want to query a contact and have the system return a device/os, or that dynamic content would be chose based on a device association?

Or would you be using this information in more targeted ways such as a offering your iOS app to someone using an iPhone and the Android App to someone using a Samsung?  Or that fact that they have a particular device puts them into a different segment for you from a behaviour perspective?

Thanks

• Richard Tea
    Richard Tea Posts: 9 Blue Ribbon

One question for people interested in this feature.  Contacts may be (and often are) associated to more than one visitor record (cookie) since people often use multiple devices such as work and personal computers, tablets and phones.  As such, an individual contact may be engaging with your content across many devices and clients. While that's not a problem for total overall engagement reporting, it does complicate the question of what device/OS is associated to a Contact.  Is there an expectation that you would want to query a contact and have the system return a device/os, or that dynamic content would be chose based on a device association?

Or would you be using this information in more targeted ways such as a offering your iOS app to someone using an iPhone and the Android App to someone using a Samsung?  Or that fact that they have a particular device puts them into a different segment for you from a behaviour perspective?

Thanks

Stephen Streich-Oracle wrote:

Here are some potential use case:

• Make informed design decision on email clients/platform support of certain design elements. E.g.: If 1% uses Outlook Express, perhaps we will not sacrifice CSS3 features that works with the majority of the population. Or by screen size for hybrid responsive design.
    • Understand, are there open, clickthrough or bounceback variations by email clients or platforms?
    • Understanding mobile platform could be data for future apps however that is usually available from the website through Google Analytics.
  • Jill Henry
    Jill Henry Posts: 2 Red Ribbon

I have used Litmus for years.  The data on consumption is outstanding.

• ig*2697168*o2
    ig*2697168*o2 Posts: 1 Green Ribbon

Hi guys, any update on this feature release (device tracking for email and lp activities)?

thank a lot

Ignazio

• barryrutter
    barryrutter Posts: 2 Green Ribbon

Like others we use litmus, however the removal of the code window from Protected mode now makes this impossible to use in our modular templates

• Richard Tea
    Richard Tea Posts: 9 Blue Ribbon

One question for people interested in this feature.  Contacts may be (and often are) associated to more than one visitor record (cookie) since people often use multiple devices such as work and personal computers, tablets and phones.  As such, an individual contact may be engaging with your content across many devices and clients. While that's not a problem for total overall engagement reporting, it does complicate the question of what device/OS is associated to a Contact.  Is there an expectation that you would want to query a contact and have the system return a device/os, or that dynamic content would be chose based on a device association?

Thanks

Also have an answer when someone asks the simple question:

• What are our clients using to read the emails you send?
    • Do they use 1 or multiple devices?
  • Tyler Platts
    Tyler Platts Posts: 3 Green Ribbon

I'm new to Eloqua, so I'm not sure if I have missed this in the reports, but is this feature up and running yet? If so, where would I find it?

• Sara Howes-Oracle

I'm new to Eloqua, so I'm not sure if I have missed this in the reports, but is this feature up and running yet? If so, where would I find it?

@Tyler Platts this is not yet available, though we are actively pursuing a solution. There is no guaranteed delivery timeframe, however.

- Sara

Sara Howes

Senior Product Manager

• Tyler Platts
    Tyler Platts Posts: 3 Green Ribbon

@Tyler Platts this is not yet available, though we are actively pursuing a solution. There is no guaranteed delivery timeframe, however.

- Sara

Sara Howes

Senior Product Manager

Thank you.

• Is there any movement on adding device metrics to standard reporting or an estimated delivery time yet? 

• Thamina Christensen-Oracle
    Thamina Christensen-Oracle Posts: 173 Employee
    edited Oct 15, 2016 9:37PM

Is there any movement on adding device metrics to standard reporting or an estimated delivery time yet? 

Hi Lisa,

From an Eloqua product perspective, yes we do have movement on this. At this time we are finalizing approval with our legal team so we can do the appropriate tracking for device tracking and reporting. Once we have that contract, we can build this out in 1-2 releases. My hope (safe harbor) is early 2017.

Thanks,

Thamina Christensen

• jebbers
    jebbers Posts: 5 Bronze Badge

Hi Lisa,

From an Eloqua product perspective, yes we do have movement on this. At this time we are finalizing approval with our legal team so we can do the appropriate tracking for device tracking and reporting. Once we have that contract, we can build this out in 1-2 releases. My hope (safe harbor) is early 2017.

Thanks,

Thamina Christensen

Can you say if it will be a partnership with a company (like Litmus or Email on Acid) or your own reporting? If I remember correct the last time Eloqua offered device testing you partnered with someone but can't remember who.

• Sara Howes-Oracle

Can you say if it will be a partnership with a company (like Litmus or Email on Acid) or your own reporting? If I remember correct the last time Eloqua offered device testing you partnered with someone but can't remember who.

This will be native reporting within Eloqua.

Regards,

Sara Howes

Senior Product Manager

• jebbers
    jebbers Posts: 5 Bronze Badge

This will be native reporting within Eloqua.

Regards,

Sara Howes

Senior Product Manager

Thanks Sara, can't wait for the feature to be available.

• Hi Michael -

Hi Sara,

Any idea when this will be available? I am looking for a breakdown of website visitors by device types. Has anyone able to do a website visitor report breakdown by device types before? GA is not able to provide a report on contact level.

Kind regards,

Rama

• Sara Howes-Oracle

Hi Sara,

Any idea when this will be available? I am looking for a breakdown of website visitors by device types. Has anyone able to do a website visitor report breakdown by device types before? GA is not able to provide a report on contact level.

Kind regards,

Rama

Rama -

As you'll note from the comments below, we are actively pursuing the implementation of this functionality. However at this time I cannot provide a specific delivery date.

• Hello Sara,

Is their any new regarding this kind of email reports?
    Dates for this?

Thanks

Niels

@3004

• Hello Sara,

Is their any new regarding this kind of email reports?
    Dates for this?

Thanks

Niels

@3004

@3304345 Niels,

We are actively working on this and hope to have this type of reporting in your hands within the next few releases.

Thanks,

Thamina

@Thamina Christensen-Oracle