Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Productivity Boost: Open assets in new tab

Adam Edwards
Adam Edwards Posts: 14 Bronze Badge
edited March 2016 in Dream It

When opening assets, the current behaviour is it simply opens in the current browser tab, which can prove inconvenient if editing multiple assets in a short period (especially in Firefox which has no duplicate tab feature). Therefore, something which I think would boost productivity slightly is the ability to right-click and "open an asset in a new tab" (or middle-mouse button click to instantly open).

Please give this a like if you agree

41 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Lorenzo Ruzzene
    Lorenzo Ruzzene Posts: 47 Blue Ribbon

yeah, it could be useful. right now you can paste the URL on a new tab, you'll see that every asset is associated with a number.

• Joel Rothman-Oracle
    Joel Rothman-Oracle Posts: 39 Silver Trophy

I use chrome on a PC, so not sure if this tip works globally. BUT, on Chrome, if you click a link using the center button on the mouse (the one with the scroll wheel), it opens a new tab. Which is pretty cool, BUT because there is no clickable link in Eloqua, doesn't exactly solve what you are asking. BUT, Chrome has a few more tricks up their sleeve. IF you "scroll click" the page refresh button, it will open it up in a separate tab. And, it's an exact clone, so you can use the back button. So, here's what I do. I go to the asset I am working on, then I scroll click the refresh button. In the newly opened tab, I have the ability to use the "back" button and go to the previous page. Not as clean as your suggestion, but it's a regular part of my work flow.

• Adam Edwards
    Adam Edwards Posts: 14 Bronze Badge
    edited April 2016

I use chrome on a PC, so not sure if this tip works globally. BUT, on Chrome, if you click a link using the center button on the mouse (the one with the scroll wheel), it opens a new tab. Which is pretty cool, BUT because there is no clickable link in Eloqua, doesn't exactly solve what you are asking. BUT, Chrome has a few more tricks up their sleeve. IF you "scroll click" the page refresh button, it will open it up in a separate tab. And, it's an exact clone, so you can use the back button. So, here's what I do. I go to the asset I am working on, then I scroll click the refresh button. In the newly opened tab, I have the ability to use the "back" button and go to the previous page. Not as clean as your suggestion, but it's a regular part of my work flow.

That's a good tip Joel, and I've confirmed it works in Firefox 45 too. Thanks! Although, it would be nice to see it implemented as out-of-the-box functionality if possible, as your workaround still requires the user to open the asset first, which adds loading time to the process

• Great idea!! I have submitted my vote.

• 18 months later and still no update to this? I am a new Eloqua user and I'm finding this platform really difficult to use. Hard to believe that something as simple is opening a Campaign, Email, Segment, etc. in a new tab is not a possibility.

Other users have complained about Eloqua tabs always showing "Eloqua 10" at the top instead of an actual description of which page you're on. I assume that and the links in a new tab issue are related to ASPX or whichever way Eloqua is built. From my research I think this has to do with ASP.NET and "codebehind" or "code behind".  Does anyone know how a browser hack to allow new tabs?

• Dave Zeltser
    Dave Zeltser Posts: 50 Bronze Badge

18 months later and still no update to this? I am a new Eloqua user and I'm finding this platform really difficult to use. Hard to believe that something as simple is opening a Campaign, Email, Segment, etc. in a new tab is not a possibility.

Other users have complained about Eloqua tabs always showing "Eloqua 10" at the top instead of an actual description of which page you're on. I assume that and the links in a new tab issue are related to ASPX or whichever way Eloqua is built. From my research I think this has to do with ASP.NET and "codebehind" or "code behind".  Does anyone know how a browser hack to allow new tabs?

I was one of those that dreamed of at least having the tab/object name in the title bar... that idea didnt go anywhere...

But.... this month the Eloqua team is introducing a new navigation bar that nobody asked for.

• Mike de Wildt
    Mike de Wildt Posts: 55 Silver Badge

I was one of those that dreamed of at least having the tab/object name in the title bar... that idea didnt go anywhere...

But.... this month the Eloqua team is introducing a new navigation bar that nobody asked for.

You don't always get what you want, Dave that's for sure. I agree that there are more important, small updates, are for more interesting to implement at this point though.

• Mike de Wildt
    Mike de Wildt Posts: 55 Silver Badge

18 months later and still no update to this? I am a new Eloqua user and I'm finding this platform really difficult to use. Hard to believe that something as simple is opening a Campaign, Email, Segment, etc. in a new tab is not a possibility.

My 'Browser hack' is go to new tab, click on favorites bar in browser on Eloqua icon and voila ... Unfortunate that you have to experience this as a new user but you can only imagine how the application was before and how this has improved over the years

• My 'Browser hack' is go to new tab, click on favorites bar in browser on Eloqua icon and voila ... Unfortunate that you have to experience this as a new user but you can only imagine how the application was before and how this has improved over the years

I'll take your word for it! Thanks Mike. I found a Chrome extension that allows you to duplicate tabs with a keyboard shortcut. Helps at least in opening multiple tabs for the same asset type.

• kevincassidy313
    kevincassidy313 Posts: 32 Silver Badge

This would be a very useful feature!