We are trying to use Expense Reports for the first time.
Our users would assume that the 'Amount' field presented would be the amount they are claiming (i.e. I am claiming for a mail that cost me £12).
In the UK this would be subject to VAT, and on a VAT Receipt it would show a total amount of £12 (the amount I paid), and that VAT at 20% was £2 of that total).
However, when I put in £12 in the amount on the NetSuite Expense line and then select the VAT code (for 20%), NetSuite is assuming £12 is the 'net' value and calculates the gross amount at £12 + 20% (£14.40)
It seems very 'user unfriendly' to ask them to enter their expense as the 'net' value?
And this is further complicated when we pay mileage at a 'pence per mile' rate - do we have to artificially reduce the mileage rate they are claiming to that when the VAT is added on it gives the correct amount??
I'm thinking I might have to give the user a new custom field to enter the amount into, and then 'reverse calculate' the net figure for NetSuite to add VAT to. Is that my best option?
How are other people using expenses when tax is involved?