Hi everyone,
I’m trying to design a pricing structure in NetSuite based on item category / pricing group, and I’m not sure if this is possible with standard functionality or if I must use scripting.
What I have now
- Price Levels
- I have several global Price Levels under
Setup → Accounting → Accounting Lists → Type = Price Level
(Base Price, Amazon Price, Government, Partner, Reseller, etc.). - Each Price Level has its own Discount % from Base Price.
- Pricing Groups
- I have Pricing Groups under
Setup → Accounting → Accounting Lists → Type = Pricing Group
(for example: “HPE Servers and Storage List”, “Aruba Networking List”, etc.). - On the item record → Sales/Pricing tab, I can select a Pricing Group.
- Item pricing screen
On the item record, under Sales/Pricing, I see:- A dropdown field “Pricing Group”.
- Below that, a Price List / Pricing matrix by currency, where each row is a Price Level with columns for “Default Discount %” and “Amount”.
What I want to achieve
I want the Price Levels to be linked to the selected Pricing Group so that:
- When I change the Pricing Group on the item,
- The system automatically fills or updates the Default Discount % for each Price Level (or even disables some levels) according to a predefined structure for that group.
In other words, I’d like to define something like this:
- For Pricing Group “HPE Servers and Storage List”:
- Price Level DXB HPE Partners → -2.0%
- Price Level DXB Reseller → 6.0%
- Price Level DXB Special → 5.0%
- etc.
- For another Pricing Group, a different set of discounts / active levels.
Then, when I select the Pricing Group on an item, the price matrix automatically reflects those percentages instead of me manually editing each row for every item.
My questions
- Is there any native/standard way in NetSuite to link Price Levels to Pricing Groups so that changing the Pricing Group on the item automatically updates the discount percentages for each Price Level?
- If not native:
- What is the recommended design pattern to achieve this?
- For example, would you create a custom record that stores:
- Pricing Group
- Price Level
- Discount %
and then use a Client Script or User Event Script on the Item to read from that record and populate the pricing sublist?
- Has anyone implemented something similar and can share:
- How you structured the custom records
- Which script type you used (Client vs User Event)
- Any limitations or pitfalls (performance, role permissions, etc.)
- We also use multiple currencies and multiple subsidiaries / locations. Is there anything I should be careful about if I store this pricing matrix in a custom record (e.g., handling currency, subsidiary restrictions, etc.)?
My end goal is to have a consistent, category-based pricing structure, where I only have to maintain the matrix per Pricing Group, and items automatically inherit the correct Price Level discounts when I assign them to that group.
Any guidance, best practices, or sample approaches would be really appreciated.
Thank you! 🙏