Oracle Analytics Cloud and Server

Products Banner

Oracle Analytics Data Visualization Types: Your choice!

Views
Comments

All,

Oracle Analytics Product Strategy and Product Management teams are refining the priority to add new data visualizations. Let us know which ones are needed on your side!

The current product roadmap is planning a new enhanced sankey, a gauge, a gantt chart and an org chart. More to come with your voice!

Comments

• Michal Zima
    Michal Zima ✭✭✭✭✭

@Benjamin Arnulf-Oracle I've got one requirement - it is not a completelly new viz, but more imrovement of current vizualization "Dashboard Filters":

We are missing here for date columns a new filter type, allowing you to select range (bottom/top values for between filter) using slider element (picking up 2 values) - see picture bellow:

• @Michal Zima Great one. I think it needs to go through the idea lab, but I like the idea! I will pass it to our team too.

• Michal Zima
    Michal Zima ✭✭✭✭✭

@Benjamin Arnulf-Oracle No problem, I can create Idea for this.

• @Michal Zima ,

Is your improvement of current visualization "Dashboard Filters" to rename it to something else? Because DV doesn't have dashboard but workbooks and canvases?

Every time I see that name I have the impression somebody got confused and though they were developing something for "classic". And it just confusing everybody (because now all of a sudden a workbook is called dashboard, but it has nothing to do with a dashboard).

😉

• Michal Zima
    Michal Zima ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gianni Ceresa You are right. It would be good if DV had a uniform naming convention, including the names of visualizations. Mixing names from “classic” certainly does not contribute to clarity. Definitely a cause for thought for Product Management.

• Looking for a Gantt chart and enhancement on the Sankey! I have used those, especially the Gantt chart with a custom plugin. Great for project planning and connection visualization. Thank you!

• @User_J6AOQ while Gantt chart is on the roadmap to become a vanilla visualization, we can still enhance the plugin with specific needs in the mean time, let us know if there is anything you are currently missing with the Gantt custom extension.

• Have not tried the new plugin if any. Yet, a year ago, I used the Gantt custom extension, the custom did not have: a color code for different timeframes, no format for time series, no flag for significant milestones, etc. Below are some features which I hope to see in OAC. Btw, I don't see the plug-in in this link anymore: https://www.oracle.com/business-analytics/data-visualization/extensions/

• Ciaran
    Ciaran ✭✭✭

I would like to see a means to connect to Oracle Graph 23c models and traverse them within Data Visualizer.

Make it interactive between the traditional relational visualizations and their associated Graph models. It would also provide a means to integrate across the Oracle platforms.

• @Ciaran thanks, about the 23c Graph capabilities, these are not yet integrated with OA. OA currently only leverages Nw Graph calculations (not vizs) via the legacy SQL API of the db, and the visualizes results directly with an OA viz. See these videos for example

https://youtu.be/Q80ERcTMQW8, https://youtu.be/b_S9E8aWdYY, https://youtu.be/otJlWeqPpwg

and https://youtu.be/NSGC7Gpmnzo

We are looking at best ways to integratec 23c new capabilities in OA UI, but not yet ETA for this on our side.

• Ciaran
    Ciaran ✭✭✭

Thanks Philippe,

This is useful information. On what you referenced in the youtube posts, I take it the Graph Functions being referenced are not related to the new Oracle 23c Graph Offering but rather the Legacy Graph offering from Oracle?

Any additional information you have to help paint the picture here would be appreciated.

Come on Oracle, now's your chance to take market leadership and get ahead of the competition !!

• Gianni Ceresa
    edited February 1

@Ciaran ,

If you mean the new SQL/PGQ language added to SQL and part of the Oracle database 23c, you can already use it right now because it is "just" SQL. You can create a dataset and use it (because SQL/PGQ results are like a table with columns and rows as they come from SQL).

If you expect to run "interactive" graph queries from a workbook, this would be a full overlap with Graph Studio and the Oracle Graph Web Application which both already works with SQL/PGQ and PGQL against Graph Server or the database (PGQL and SQL/PGQ).

• Ciaran
    Ciaran ✭✭✭

Thank you Gianni for the clarity on the PGQ usage, this helps.

We'd love for Oracle to take the approach of utilizing it already front of house Visual Analytics platform (OAC/OAS) in the Graph space.

This way the interactivity possibility between the types of content created would have a far more hands on business benefit. Graphs by them selves are useful but they become extremely useful if we can have them operate alongside traditional BI Content.

Having the customer use multiple tools to answer business questions can be frustrating and leave enterprise teams like my own the difficulty of somehow integrating.

Oracle Graph Web Application is also housed on Weblogic which may be useful.

• I do see your point.

The Graph Web Application is purely java and doesn't really use anything of Weblogic (that's also why it is more often deployed on Tomcat or it is self-hosted on an embedded Tomcat when you run it directly from the Graph Server installation): no need to pay a Weblogic license.

I believe the graph team did work on the APEX support for their products, so APEX is meant to more easily be able to use graphs for queries and some form of analysis.

The issue I can imagine with DV having to support graphs is that it will "break" the separation between physical sources and analytical platform: DV does use the BI Server in the background, which is source agnostic. Adding something in DV that would be "only" available with an Oracle database 23c (SQL/PGQ) would be a big change of paradigm with some analytics capabilities only available if you do use that exact source.

Even the current graph limited support is done bypassing the limit of the source: any source can be used, because the data is loaded on an Oracle database in the backend and the methods of the OPG_APIS PL/SQL package are executed there before to send back the result as a "table" (with columns and rows).

And that's why you can already use the 23c SQL/PGQ, because it is just SQL and therefore can be used to create dataset directly. And any visualization in DV is designed to work with tabular results: columns and rows.

There is also another aspect to keep in mind: SQL/PGQ is not fully a property graph solution. It is called "operational property graph" because the purpose is to execute known, pre-defined, graph pattern matching queries on live relational data. This is very different compared to Graph Server and PGQL where you can execute algorithms, modify the graph on the fly and do exploration to try to find something useful, but everything is done on a snapshot (static) of data that doesn't reflect the source data in real time.

With this in mind, a DV dataset based on a SQL/PGQ statement would already fully fit in the idea of the operational property graph that is SQL/PGQ.

Because SQL/PGQ is part of the standard SQL, there should be other databases that are going to support it. Maybe at that time some special kind of visualization that will work only with a connection to a database with SQL/PGQ support will be added to enable some kind of exploration of the graph. Currently I didn't try but the network visualization would also already work with a SQL/PGQ dataset.

In the meantime I believe (this is my understanding based on what product managers of graph and oracle analytics said here and there) the idea is more that Graph Studio or Graph Web application (and also notebooks) are used for exploration, discover (ideally connected to Graph Server to get the full power of graph analysis), while DV datasets can be used to display and integrate with other sources the result of a SQL/PGQ query.

• Ciaran
    Ciaran ✭✭✭

ia

Thanks Gianni, your response detail and effort is greatly appreciated. Calling out the practical separation between 'SQL/PGQ' and pure 'PGQL' particularly the value add Algorithms.

For me it's the emphasis on "Complete Analytical Analysis" and not having to jump between multiple visual exploration tools to garner insights.

I would love to see Oracle come together on this approach and follow as you suggested and maybe some day have the PGQL Source specific Graph Interactions available in Oracle Analytics.... even if the initial step was to include the Graph Studio Capabilities within the same Product Suite.

There's a an opportunity here for Oracle to complete the journey......... "Customer / Analyst Focus"

• Ciaran
    Ciaran ✭✭✭

Also from a OAS Scope / source support perspective there is already a precedence here with OAS supporting the likes of Essbase Hierarchy navigations or incoming AI Interactions (Custom source specific capabilities).

I'm not expecting answers to this specifically, only conveying my hopes.

• Would like to see the row expander visual like Excel and Power BI has. Being able to collapse and expand data is needed when working with large volume of data.

• @User_CMGSU Good one, I believe we have it for hierarchy but it might be good to have something similar. Any picture you can provide would help.

• All, we are closing the audit this Sunday March 31st 2024. Please submit your comments or ideas by this deadline.

• @Benjamin Arnulf-Oracle

Here are 2 examples where you can expand and collapse rows. I hope this helps. Thank you!

• Rajakumar Burra
    Rajakumar Burra ✭✭✭✭✭

We need Gantt charts on priority. It has lot of advantages.

• Rajakumar Burra
    Rajakumar Burra ✭✭✭✭✭

@Benjamin Arnulf-Oracle Hope we will get it soon.

Apart of it , I would request you to enhance Pivot tables and existing charts with option. Display value as "Running Sum" like OBIEE.

Please don't point me to use "RSUM" function. Display value as "Running Sum" like OBIEE overcome some incorrect calculations of "RSUM".