• 2,264,013 Discussions
  • 7,904,820 Comments

Discussions

Checkbox - some extra information on options

dmarinov87
dmarinov87 Member Posts: 118
edited Feb 18, 2014 6:19AM in APEX Discussions

Hi!

Is there any way to have some extra information on checkbox options?

e.g. I have one checkbox item P1_CHOOSE with 5 options, like :

Choose equipment: op1 - Laptop computer 1

op2 - Laptop computer 2

op3 - Laptop computer 3

op4 - Desktop computer 1

op5 - Desktop computer 2

so when I get with mouse over some option I get information about that option (eg. if I get with mouse over op1, I can see that this is hp elitebook, if I go over op2 I see that this is asus ... and so on)?

Something like on desktop application if you get with mouse on some icon and then you have some information about that icon.

I use Apex 4.1. and 11g database.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

drama9346

Answers

• TexasApexDeveloper
    TexasApexDeveloper Member Posts: 7,966 Gold Crown

Is the other information static or dynamic?  Meaning .. Will the other information come from a table and be up-datable or is it static and can be hard-coded.. 

Thank you,

Tony Miller

LuvMuffin Software

Ruckersville, VA

• fac586
    fac586 Senior Technical Architect Member Posts: 21,197 Red Diamond
    edited Feb 14, 2014 10:25AM
    drama9346 wrote:

Is there any way to have some extra information on checkbox options?
    e.g. I have one checkbox item P1_CHOOSE with 5 options, like :

Static or dynamic LOV?

Choose equipment: op1 - Laptop computer 1
                                 op2 - Laptop computer 2
                                 op3 - Laptop computer 3
                                 op4 - Desktop computer 1
                                 op5 - Desktop computer 2

so when I get with mouse over some option I get information about that option (eg. if I get with mouse over op1, I can see that this is hp elitebook, if I go over op2 I see that this is asus ... and so on)?

If that information is available then include it in the checkbox labels where it's immediately visible. Better for users from a usability and accessibility perspective.

Something like on desktop application if you get with mouse on some icon and then you have some information about that icon.

This is the usual browser presentation for the HTML title attribute.

• dmarinov87

All data will be in table, but for each option it will be always the same (no update), when I will have some new data it will be new row in table and new option.

Thanks for your help!

Regards

drama9346

• dmarinov87

fac586 I want to put tehnical specification and maybe some other information. If I include it into label then this label will be to long. It is dynamic LOV.

I knew for html title attribute, but if I set this into checkbox item then I get same message for all options.

Regards

drama9346

• fac586
    fac586 Senior Technical Architect Member Posts: 21,197 Red Diamond

There is almost nothing that you can do to provide this kind of customization using only a standard checkbox item and dynamic LOV. The options are basically:

1. Use the built-in checkbox item and LOV and add the required information and behaviour using dynamic actions (e.g. the Notification or Tooltip plug-in)
    2. Create your own checkbox item plug-in that supports the inclusion of the required information within the checkbox labels
    3. Display the checkboxes using a report instead of an item to provide more flexibility in the presentation

I'd be concerned about the accessibility problems inherent in any approach that involves displaying this information dynamically based on mouse movement. It sounds like the content is too complex for a simple title attribute and needs to be presented as primary information in a structured way. Personally I'd probably go for a report as the simplest way to achieve this.

This discussion has been closed.