Forum Stats

• 3,734,752 Users
  • 2,247,037 Discussions
  • 7,857,481 Comments

Discussions

2 issues : Invisible user and Invisible table from BI reporting

4286062 Member Posts: 5

Hello,

I have created 2 users : "USER1" and "C##USER2".

1- USER1 : I connected Power BI and Qlik sense to the database but the "USER1" is not visible from Power BI and Qlik sense (with SQL plus and SQL developper the user is visible)

2- C##USER2 : I created a new table in this user, the C##USER2 is visible from "Power BI "and "Qlik sense" but not the table

I tryed 2 tools to know if the problem coms from the BI tools or from the database, maybe parameters to add in the database ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

best regards.

Best Answer

• cormaco
    cormaco Member Posts: 1,560 Bronze Crown
    edited Jul 11, 2020 7:15AM Accepted Answer

Your connection in SQL Developer is to xepdb1.

This is the default PDB in an Oracle 18XE installation, you are supposed to work with that.

The connection in your other screenshots is to XE, this is the CDB$ROOT and as I said you should not create users there.

Unfortunately Oracle does not create an entry for xepdb1 in TNSNAMES.ORA during installation.

Use xepdb1 as in SQL Developer.

Answers

• cormaco
    edited Jul 11, 2020 4:36AM

Please change your display name into something readable:

How can I change my Display Name?

Also post your exact database version, use "select * from v$version" to find out.

The username C##USER2 is typical for a common user in the CDB$ROOT database, you shouldn't create you own users there except for special purposes.

The user USER1 has probably been created in a PDB.

https://oracle-base.com/articles/12c/multitenant-manage-users-and-privileges-for-cdb-and-pdb-12cr1#create-common-users

You can find more information on Oracle's Multitenant Architecture here:

https://oracle-base.com/articles/12c/multitenant-overview-container-database-cdb-12cr1#overview

Can you show us the exact connect strings you use to connect in BI-Publisher, Qlik and SQLPlus, SQL Developer repectively?

edited Jul 11, 2020 5:58AM

Thanks for your answer. I wanted just to know what is the right way to create users, fill them with tables and data, user the right connexions to be able to see the users, tables and data from the reportings BI tools ? Thanks a lot.

1- The databse version :

SQL> select * from v$version;

BANNER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BANNER_FULL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BANNER_LEGACY

CON_ID

----------

Oracle Database 18c Express Edition Release 18.0.0.0.0 - Production

Version 18.4.0.0.0

BANNER

BANNER_FULL

BANNER_LEGACY

CON_ID

----------

2- you fin the connexions setting in the Screenshots (I used the tnsname automatikly created by oracle)

SQLDEV.PNG

SQLDEV.PNGPower Bi databse connexion.PNGQlik Sense databse connexion.PNG

edited Jul 11, 2020 5:59AM

I Forget other screenshots, sorry : Qlik Sense databse connexion.PNG

• cormaco
    edited Jul 11, 2020 7:15AM Accepted Answer

Your connection in SQL Developer is to xepdb1.

This is the default PDB in an Oracle 18XE installation, you are supposed to work with that.

The connection in your other screenshots is to XE, this is the CDB$ROOT and as I said you should not create users there.

Unfortunately Oracle does not create an entry for xepdb1 in TNSNAMES.ORA during installation.

Use xepdb1 as in SQL Developer.

edited Jul 12, 2020 8:45AM

Hi cormaco,

Thanks a lot for your helpful answer, it working fine now for Power Bi and Qlik sens.

1- Qlik Sens : I you saifd before, I just replaced the service name from XE to XEPDB1

Qlik Sense OK.PNG

2- Power BI : I changed the tnsname from XE to XEPDB1 :

Tnsname.PNG

In the connexion server i fill : XEPDB1 :

Power BI OK - 1.PNG

All is working fine, really thanks a lot for your help, have a nice day.

Best regards

• cormaco
    edited Jul 12, 2020 9:54AM
    2- Power BI : I changed the tnsname from XE to XEPDB1 :

That is not enough, you have to change the servicename to XEPDB1 as well. As it is now you have only gives the connection to XE a new name

edited Jul 12, 2020 11:36AM

Yes you are right, I changed also the servicename from XE to XEPDB1, Thanks a lot