Discussions

Mapping Visitor GUID to Contact via REST API 2.0 Form Submit

James Solo
James Solo Natick, MAPosts: 20 Bronze Medal
edited Feb 11, 2022 9:04PM in Developer Tools

I'm trying to figure out the correct way to architect a REST API 2.0 form submission solution that links the first-party cookie web visitor GUID to the contact.

I found the following documentation in the Eloqua Developer Help Center:

At the end, it states

The GUID hidden field value must be in GUID format "xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx". To submit form data when you do not have a GUID value, use a value with all zeros for the field. For example: "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000".

Now, I then found the following documentation in the Eloqua Help Center:

In it, is a code sample for Retrieving the visitor GUID using a first-party cookie

I also found the following when going to my form's HTML Integration Details, with 1st Party Cookies radio option enabled another (different) code sample for retrieving the visitor GUID using a first-party cookie

Here are my questions as I am really confused...

1. Both code samples return a GUID value in a "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" format (no dashes), but the developer documentation states that the format needs to be "xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx". Which format is it and if it needs to be with dashes, how do I get that for 1st party cookie?
  2. Why are there 2 different code samples for retrieving the 1st party cookie visitor GUID? Which should be used?
  3. The developer documentation makes no reference of the elqCookieWrite with having a value set to 0. Is that not needed for REST API 2.0 Form Submissions or is that an oversight?
  4. Anyone willing to provide a working code snip that has this working successfully?

Would really appreciate someone from the Eloqua development side to respond as well.

Many thanks,

James

@Lou Patrick

Post edited by James Solo on

Answers